From: killercarp
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 12:06 PM
Subject: [STMFC] RPM Etiquette

I beg the moderator to forgive a potentially off-topic post, but since freight cars were involved, I figure I'll give it a shot.

At the recent Naperville RPM, I was kind of disturbed to see an attendee picking up various displayed freight cars. I know they were not his, as I was walking into the display room with their owner/builder. I pointed this out to him and he went over to talk with him. Both of us were under the impression that handling the displayed works was not appropriate. I would expect that would be strictly with the permission of the presenter. Is that correct, or can we expect our models to be grabbed by potentially ham-handed yokels? I'm not sure how I feel about displaying if handling is part of the program.

Should the general etiquette for RPM events be officially noted by those putting on such events so it is clear to all?

Tim VanMersbergen
South Elgin, IL

Jim Hayes

I am one who was guilty of touching the models. I moved some of Stan
Rydarowicz's reefers to get better pictures. But the pictures are used for
the web page I've created for his products on my Sunshine website. And I'm
not a 'pick up everything' kind of guy. There are a number of 'Do Not Touch'
signs on the table but maybe more are needed.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 9:41 AM, John Degnan <Scaler164@...> wrote:

I have always set a note card on my table(s) stating that RESPECTFUL,
CAREFUL HANDLING BY EXPERIENCED MODELERS is ok. But I did so under the
impression that it was a well known rule that not all models are fair game
for handling. Apparently this isn't the case, so it might need to be noted
by signage or public announcement.

John Degnan
JohnnyReb69@... <JohnnyReb69%40comcast.net>

[...]

killercarp

Jim,

You are not the person I was referring to. This individual was picking up models for closer examination and looking at underframes, not for photography.

Either way, your doing the website implies permission from Stan to do this. This was something different altogether.

Tim VanMersbergen

--- In STMFC@..., Jim Hayes <jimhayes97225@...> wrote:

[...]

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

GUYZ,

My Dad brought me up with the idea that "if it is not yours, your hands should not be on it".
Have we lost the basic politeness of respecting others property? I hope not.

Fred Freitas

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Fred Freitas wrote:
My Dad brought me up with the idea that "if it is not yours, your hands should not be on it".
There's a country song with a title like this, but it's about wives, not freight cars. <g>

Publishers of books on railroad history

Frank Valoczy <destron@...>

I dunno, even when someone says to me "you can pick it up if you want",
I'm /still/ pretty terrified of touching someone else's model. I know how
I feel when I break one of my own, it would probably be 1000 times worse
if someone else did it.

I've always held myself to the "don't touch" rule - if I want to get a
photo of the underframe, for example, I'll ask the owner if he'd be so
kind as to reposition the car himself.

Since I've never seen anyone to touch someone else's model without
permission, I'd assumed that this was standard procedure at meets...

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC

Frederick Freitas wrote:

[...]

!DSPAM:1291,4cd059fd308687797818422!

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

I've never been to Naperville, but have attended many NMRA/CARM conventions and meets. To me, it is extremely bad form and/or just plain RUDE and ignorant to handle others' models without permission. Period. I personally kneel, crouch, or put my hands in my back pockets if standing near a display table. I heavily kitbash and scratchbuild. Which still gives me NO right to pick up someone else's models.

Maybe more "DO NOT TOUCH" signs and notations on meet literature are called for, but my observation of model show and human behaviour makes me doubt that these precautions would keep this person from picking up the models.

Geeeeeeezzzzzz... :(

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., "killercarp" <killercarp@...> wrote:

[...]

Bruce Smith

On Nov 2, 2010, at 2:12 PM, Anthony Thompson wrote:

Fred Freitas wrote:
My Dad brought me up with the idea that "if it is not yours, your
hands should not be on it".
There's a country song with a title like this, but it's about
wives, not freight cars. <g>
I think there was a country song like that about pickup trucks, or maybe it was about dogs....? <VBG>

Regards,
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ &#92;

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Bruce Smith wrote:

On Nov 2, 2010, at 2:12 PM, Anthony Thompson wrote:
There's a country song with a title like this, but it's about wives, not freight cars. <g>
I think there was a country song like that about pickup trucks, or maybe it was about dogs....? <VBG>
Probably about all three. <g> But I think we've just gotten WAY off topic.

Tony Thompson
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937;
e-mail: thompson@...

water.kresse@...

There are possible repercussions when you touch a dog without permission, or let your kid stick his face in a big dogs face, or sneak up and startle it at a dog show.

Al Kresse

Fred Freitas wrote:
My Dad brought me up with the idea that "if it is not yours, your
hands should not be on it".
      There's a country song with a title like this, but it's about
wives, not freight cars.   <g>
I think there was a country song like that about pickup trucks, or
maybe it was about dogs....? < VBG >

Regards,
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL
http :// www . vetmed .auburn. edu /index.pl/ bruce _f._smith2

                            __
                           /  &#92;
   __<+--+>________________&#92;__/___   ________________________________
  |- ______/ O        O &#92;_______ -| | __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __ |
  | / 4999  PENNSYLVANIA   4999 &#92; | ||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||
  | O--O     &#92;0  0  0  0/    O--O |   0-0-0                    0-0-0

Brian Carlson

The song starts with a guy hopping a freight car to get back to his wife,
who took his heart, his truck, and his dog. However, like any good country
song, he has a few beverages (Honker's Ale in this case) on the way and by
the end of the song ends up in (moderate) jail.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY

prrk41361@...

On Nov 2, 2010, at 2:12 PM, Anthony Thompson wrote:
There's a country song with a title like this, but it's about
wives, not freight cars. <g>
I think there was a country song like that about pickup trucks, or
maybe it was about dogs....? <VBG>
Probably about all three. <g> But I think we've just gotten WAY
off topic.

Tony Thompson
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937;
e-mail: thompson@... <mailto:thompson%40signaturepress.com>

mike brock <brockm@...>

Brian Carlson says:

by
the end of the song ends up in (moderate) jail.
Followed probably by many others if the direction this thread is heading is any indication. However, the point is well taken that models should not be handled at RPM meets...or anywhere...without permission from the owner. We may need to add some Do Not Handle signs on the display tables at Cocoa Beach this coming Jan.

Mike Brock

Dennis Williams

Being a builder, my policy is: once the customer receives the model, I will not touch it again, even if it is on display.  Now, if there is a problem and I am asked to look at it, then I will. Even with my own display, once it was set up, I did not touch it til I had to leave.

  People work and spend a lot of money on their models.  My wife says that I go above and beyond.  I plead the 5th. Anyway, we were all taught at an early age to keep your hands to yourself. If you must handle the model, please ask first.

  My wife and I enjoyed all that the show at Naperville had to offer. We finally put faces with the names. We both want to thank Joe and his crew for a great show!!  We will be there next year.

Dennis Williams/Owner
www.resinbuilders4u.com

[...]

VINCE PUGLIESE

When it comes to inspecting underframe detail I am of the opinion that if the
builder wanted to show off this part of the model then it would be displayed on
a mirrored base. If you absolutely, positively have to inspect the underframe,
then might I suggest getting a dental mirror, such as those used when your teeth
are being examined and use it only AFTER getting explicit permission from the
builder to approach the model.

.vp

________________________________

[...]

John Degnan <Scaler164@...>

One could also display the model upside down in a foam cradle...

John Degnan
JohnnyReb69@...

When it comes to inspecting underframe detail I am of the opinion that if the
builder wanted to show off this part of the model then it would be displayed on
a mirrored base. If you absolutely, positively have to inspect the underframe,
then might I suggest getting a dental mirror, such as those used when your teeth
are being examined and use it only AFTER getting explicit permission from the
builder to approach the model.

.vp

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

VINCE PUGLIESE wrote:
When it comes to inspecting underframe detail I am of the opinion that if the builder wanted to show off this part of the model then it would be displayed on a mirrored base. If you absolutely, positively have to inspect the underframe . . . use it only AFTER getting explicit permission from the builder to approach the model.
A sound recommendation, Vince, but in display rooms such as at Naperville, builders are in general not present. Of course I'm not in favor of people picking up models, and I think I too saw the individual we are discussing, rather casually picking up various models. It was so flagrant that in fact I assumed he must have permission. That behavior is FAR out of the norm.
More signs, and a proactive attitude of other attendees to such behavior, will have to be the answer.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

1. It is clear; courtesy demands one not touch the belongings of others.

2. But, does the act of putting the models on display imply, in the absence of signs to the contrary, that the model is there to be examined? The opinion of those in this group would be that #1 above applies in all cases.

3. Models displayed on those banquet tables are hard to see unless one is a roof freak. That may tempt one to pick up a model. I know, see #1 above.

While it has been six years since I was last in Naperville I quit spending much time in the display room exactly because the models are so hard to see and I wouldn't ever pick up a model. Just my thoughts. YMMV.

Gene Green

Jim Hayes

Gene, the tables have risers now, raising the table top at least a foot.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Gene <bierglaeser@...> wrote:

1. It is clear; courtesy demands one not touch the belongings of others.

2. But, does the act of putting the models on display imply, in the absence
of signs to the contrary, that the model is there to be examined? The
opinion of those in this group would be that #1 above applies in all cases.

3. Models displayed on those banquet tables are hard to see unless one is a
roof freak. That may tempt one to pick up a model. I know, see #1 above.

While it has been six years since I was last in Naperville I quit spending
much time in the display room exactly because the models are so hard to see
and I wouldn't ever pick up a model. Just my thoughts. YMMV.

Gene Green

Gary Roe

Gene,

Since you were last there, an enterprising soul has devised a way to bring
the table height up to approximately arm pit elevation. It makes for much
more enjoyable viewing, and much less back pain.

gary roe
quincy, illinois

_____