C&O 12392-12999 single door boxcars

octoraro1948 <octoraro1@...>

I have a waybill for C&O 12889 and wish to model the car. In 2005 and last October (2009) there were some discussions about C&O's 12000-series auto box cars. From those discussions, I understand that this single door car was in the series 12392-12999 rebuilt from ex-Hocking Valley double-sheathed cars in 1941 and 1942 with steel sides. The discussion said the 8'-8" interior height was retained as were the 7/8 inverse Murphy ends and the Z-section steel frame was visible along the side sills below the floor line. Another post said that Climax radial roofs were used. None of the posts I saw identified the type of door, the opening of which was 6'-6" x 8'-2", used on the rebuilt cars.

I've been looking for HO models to use as a basis for this car that will need, I imagine, scratchbuilt sides and a Climax radial roof from some other kit.

I would appreciate any suggestions for modeling this car and sources for diagrams, drawings, or photos of these rebuilt single door boxcars.

Thank you.

Lou Whiteley
Lawrenceville, NJ

Larry Sexton

I believe the Climax roof from Sunshine Models kit 38.1 may work. It's for a
SP B-50-15 boxcar. Glad to see someone has a different topic for discussion.

Larry Sexton

[...]

Bill Welch

Does the Atlas 1932 C&O car have the Climax roof?

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Sexton" <SSEXTON9@...> wrote:

[...]

Benjamin Hom

Bill Welch asked:
"Does the Atlas 1932 C&O car have the Climax roof?"

Atlas' artwork shows a car with a Viking roof:
http://tinyurl.com/Atlas-C-O-1932-ARA-11-2010-Art

Ben Hom

Don Burn

I can't tell from the photo (N-scale version)
http://www.atlasrr.com/NFreight/n1932boxcar2.htm what the roof is, perhaps
someone can resolve it.

Don Burn

Don Burn wrote:
"I can't tell from the photo (N-scale version)
http://www.atlasrr.com/NFreight/n1932boxcar2.htm
what the roof is, perhaps someone can resolve it."

It's a Climax radial roof; unfortunately, from the photo, the detail appears to
be rather "lumpy" and not very sharp.

Ben Hom

Gene Deimling <losgatos48@...>

Benjamin Hom <b.hom@att.net> wrote:

Don Burn wrote:
"I can't tell from the photo (N-scale version)
http://www.atlasrr.com/NFreight/n1932boxcar2.htm
what the roof is, perhaps someone can resolve it."

It's a Climax radial roof; unfortunately, from the photo, the detail appears to
be rather "lumpy" and not very sharp.

Ben Hom

roblmclear <rob.mclear2@...>

I am not all that well aquainted with the Viking roof but the Norfolk Southern car in the advertisement has something different from the others is that a Viking roof?

Rob McLear
Brisbane Australia.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Don Burn wrote:
"I can't tell from the photo (N-scale version)
http://www.atlasrr.com/NFreight/n1932boxcar2.htm
what the roof is, perhaps someone can resolve it."

It's a Climax radial roof; unfortunately, from the photo, the detail appears to
be rather "lumpy" and not very sharp.

Ben Hom

Ken Roth

While we're on the subject of C&O boxcars, I would like to know if
anyone has info or pictures of C&O double door series 12000-12168. I
want to accurately model #12052. Would these have similar features to
12392-12999?

Thanks,
Ken Roth

water.kresse@...

They look like 1 1/2 doors to me.

Howard Ameling has three good pix of these " almost double-door" cars.

The four series of cars are shown on C&O FC Diag Sheets 33 (single) and 34 (double-door) issued out of Cleveland, Ohio.  Those would be in one of the 1960s books that the C&O HS has for sale.

Al K resse

While we're on the subject of C&O boxcars, I would like to know if
anyone has info or pictures of C&O double door series 12000-12168.  I
want to accurately model #12052.  Would these have similar features to
12392-12999?

     Thanks,
     Ken Roth

David

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Bill Welch asked:
"Does the Atlas 1932 C&O car have the Climax roof?"

Atlas' artwork shows a car with a Viking roof:
http://tinyurl.com/Atlas-C-O-1932-ARA-11-2010-Art
It shouldn't. The C&O (and NKP) ARA 1932 cars had a late Hutchins radial roof (which is not the same as the 1920s Hutchins radial).

David Thompson

LOUIS WHITELEY <octoraro1@...>

I bought the Diagrams of Freight Cars book from the C&O HIstorical Society.
To update the record, cars 12392-12999 rebuilt from cars originally built by
Ill. Car & Mfgr. Co. had Murphy radial all steel flexible roofs.  Cars
13000-13135 originally built by Pullman had Viking radial all steel roofs.
The door opening shown on the diagram is 6'-0" x 8'--2-3/8".

I have one other clarification:  The document I have is a delivery receipt, not
a waybill.

Lou Whiteley
Lawrenceville, NJ