To: STMFC@...
From: timboconnor@...
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 01:48:33 -0400
Subject: [STMFC] Chateau Martin box car

Some people have shown interest in the cars of this owner here.
This is the first one I've seen of CMWX 1001 (a sliding door car)
in full billboard regalia.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHATEAU-MARTIN-40ft-REEFER-BOXCAR-RAILROAD-SLIDE-/140471931176

Schuyler Larrabee

140474810416

From the same page Tim listed this morning . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHATEAU-MARTIN-40ft-REEFER-BOXCAR-RAILROAD-SLIDE-/140474
8101416

Are those really wood sides on this car? Strange combination if so, with
clearly steel above/below doors, and behind the ladder, and along the edge
of the frame . . .

Is this a rebuild of some kind?

SGL

Some people have shown interest in the cars of this owner here.
This is the first one I've seen of CMWX 1001 (a sliding door car)
in full billboard regalia.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHATEAU-MARTIN-40ft-REEFER-BOXCAR-RAILROAD-SLIDE-/140471
931176

Tim O'Connor

=======
=======

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

According to RPI, it is a 1944 AAR box

Rich Christie

Some people have shown interest in the cars of this owner here.
This is the first one I've seen of CMWX 1001 (a sliding door car)
in full billboard regalia.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHATEAU-MARTIN-40ft-REEFER-BOXCAR-RAILROAD-SLIDE-/140471
931176

Tim O'Connor

=======
=======

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

According to RPI, it is a 1944 AAR box
Rich Christie

I'm not sure what that means exactly. It has R+3/4 ends and
5/6/6 improved Youngstown doors, and welded sides.

But -- I can't find any Chateau Martin listings in any of my
Equipment Registers (from 1940 to 1988) -- what gives? Surely
CMWX is a registered reporting mark? Is CMWX listed another
another name?

Tim O'Connor

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

CMWX was listed under Commodities Car Co., Ltd. It was their only mark in 1961. Check under "AAR List of Assigned Reporting Marks of Private Car Companies" in the back.

KL

But -- I can't find any Chateau Martin listings in any of my
Equipment Registers (from 1940 to 1988) -- what gives? Surely
CMWX is a registered reporting mark? Is CMWX listed another
another name?

Tim O'Connor

Kurt

Thanks! CMWX 1001-1009 appear in the ORER after Jan 1959
but before July 1963.

Tim O'Connor

At 11/8/2010 06:01 PM Monday, you wrote:
CMWX was listed under Commodities Car Co., Ltd. It was their only mark in
1961. Check under "AAR List of Assigned Reporting Marks of Private Car
Companies" in the back.

KL

But -- I can't find any Chateau Martin listings in any of my
Equipment Registers (from 1940 to 1988) -- what gives? Surely
CMWX is a registered reporting mark? Is CMWX listed another
another name?

al_brown03

The 1/43 ORER lists (also under Commodities Car Co.) CMWX 101-105, MCB class TL (ICC 103), 6000 gallons. These are tank cars with linings to prevent either corrosion by, or contamination of, the lading. Cars 101 and 105 (but not 102-104) are still listed in the 1/53 ORER, along with:

CMWX 106, 108-112, 114, 117-125, and 130-134 (21 cars): AAR designation BMT, 6000 gallons. "BMT: A house car contructed and equipped for passenger train service used for transportation of liquids. Equipped with one or more insulated tanks and with or without pumps and compressor. Not equipped with means of refrigeration."

Sounds like they changed over from conventional-looking tank cars, to house-type cars. These are different car numbers from those Tim and Kurt list: did they replace the fleet again before '59, or was there a re-numbering?

CMWX is the only listing for Commodities Car in either ORER.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Kurt

Thanks! CMWX 1001-1009 appear in the ORER after Jan 1959
but before July 1963.

Tim O'Connor

At 11/8/2010 06:01 PM Monday, you wrote:
CMWX was listed under Commodities Car Co., Ltd. It was their only mark in
1961. Check under "AAR List of Assigned Reporting Marks of Private Car
Companies" in the back.

KL

But -- I can't find any Chateau Martin listings in any of my
Equipment Registers (from 1940 to 1988) -- what gives? Surely
CMWX is a registered reporting mark? Is CMWX listed another
another name?

Tim O'Connor

No Al, we were just talking about CMWX 1001, which looks like a
conventional box car. But most of the older cars that appear in the
earlier ORERs remained in service into the 1960's. I haven't checked
in detail to see specifically which cars disappeared by 1959.

Tim O'

Sounds like they changed over from conventional-looking tank cars, to house-type cars. These are different car numbers from those Tim and Kurt list: did they replace the fleet again before '59, or was there a re-numbering?

CMWX is the only listing for Commodities Car in either ORER.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Charlie Vlk

Since my Westerfield ORER collection brackets the dates the 1001-1009 appear, is there any indication that the 1002-1009 were the same type boxcar as the 1001 (which had full Charteau Martin paint and patch job CMWX)?

A manufacturer is interested in doing these cars in N Scale and wants to know what the cars looked like beyond the two schemes for the 1001.

Charlie Vlk
Railroad Model Resources

Tim O'Connor

Charlie,

The 1003, 1005, 1006, 1008 were all ex-GPEX General American-Pfaulder
milk tank cars. I wouldn't be surprised if 1002-1009 were all this type.

I think 1001 was unique.

Also I think the "patch job" version of 1001 was its originally second
hand appearance, until it was fully repainted for Chateau Martin. So it
was short lived in that scheme (less than 2 years?).

The scan I have of GPEX 1003 also is a "patch job" where the milk company
lettering is painted out.

Tim O'Connor

At 11/9/2010 02:32 PM Tuesday, you wrote:
Since my Westerfield ORER collection brackets the dates the 1001-1009 appear, is there any indication that the 1002-1009 were the same type boxcar as the 1001 (which had full Charteau Martin paint and patch job CMWX)?

A manufacturer is interested in doing these cars in N Scale and wants to know what the cars looked like beyond the two schemes for the 1001.

Charlie Vlk
Railroad Model Resources

Charlie Vlk

Dave-
It looks like we're back to the 1001 being a unique car. The patch job was the first paint scheme; full paint was later.