Rail Shops' HO carbon black car kit, was...Con Cor Watermelon car

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Between all of the discussion of late about watermelon cars, wine tanks cars, and pickle cars, I don't fear asking about carbon black cars.

I bought Rail Shops' kit for a Cabot carbon black car a couple of years back, and am finally getting around to detailing the "B" end and adding .008" brass wire grab irons to finish the car. Now a question or two about these cars as represented by the kit--

I'm of the impression that the stock kit models the earliest of Cabot's cars built in the 1930's. The wood running boards and the early AB brake reservoir are the obvious clues. But the Cabot decals included are for a late 1940's build, not this car.

Suggestions for weathering these cars? I had the dubious pleasure of switching a carbon black plant back in the 1990's, and recall oh-so-well just how absolutely filthy these cars were. Between oil caked on the wheel faces from plain bearing trucks, carbon black blowing off the top the the cars, these were some of the dirtiest cars that I ever worked with. And I want to replicate this to scale.

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., "EdwardM" <ed_mines@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., Bill Welch <fgexbill@> wrote:

This is the ACL car. I used one of these to build a nice model before the Sunshine kit. Champ did the decals

Indeed! The old Ambroid car.

Is Con-cor still in business? Check out those prices. The good old days.

Ed

Ed Hawkins

On Nov 8, 2010, at 6:01 PM, Steve Lucas wrote:

I'm of the impression that the stock kit models the earliest of
Cabot's cars built in the 1930's. The wood running boards and the
early AB brake reservoir are the obvious clues. But the Cabot decals
included are for a late 1940's build, not this car.
Steve,
All Cabot carbon black cars built by AC&F earlier than 1949 originally
came with wood running boards. The range of Cabot car numbers having
wood running boards is CABX 21 through 126.

Wood running boards and vertical staff hand brakes were used on all
carbon black cars built by AC&F through 1942. There were no carbon
black cars built from 1943 through 1946. Cars built by AC&F in 1947 for
Cabot (CABX 107-126, built 2-47) and others continued to receive wood
running boards, but hand brakes were changed to Ajax. No carbon black
cars were built by AC&F in 1948. The last carbon black cars of this
type (SHPX 25612-25181 and CABX 127-146) built by AC&F came in
July/August 1949 with Apex running boards and Ajax power hand brakes.

Other builders of 3,000 cu. ft. carbon black cars included General
American and Pressed Steel Car Co. The latter built a small number of
cars in 1937 having wood running boards. Cars built in 1947 by GATC
could have either wood or Apex running boards depending on the
customer. CCCX 339-358 (5-47) had wood running boards and Equipco power
hand brakes, whereas GACX 40305-40309 (built 4-47) leased to Charles
Eneu Johnson & Company had Apex running boards and Equipco power hand
brakes. GATC cars built in 1948-1949 had steel-grid running boards. I
don't have photos of every group, so I cannot confirm that all of them
had Apex.
Ed Hawkins

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Ed--

Thanks for the breakdown on these cars. As I used the kit's early AB brake reservoir, I'm committed to modelling one of CABX 21-106 with a "stemwinder" hand brake. Unless I pull out that reservoir and replace it with a Tichy part. Then I can use the kit decals. Luckily I've not yet added the handbrake gear, so it's easy enough to use Tichy's Ajax power handbrake on this model.

I wish that Rail Shops had been a bit more precise when producing this otherwise very nicely done kit, as their admixture of parts and decals tripped me up when building the model.

I remain surprised that an STMFC built post-WWII had wood running boards on it.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@...> wrote:

[...]

Dean Payne

Are decals available for a pre-1940's car? Or, would it be better just to get the F&C version? (Is it the same car?) Akron, Ohio manufactures a lot of auto tires, and while I don't know if the W&LE ever served any tire plants, it did have a connection into Akron, so one of these hoppers would be justifiable.

Dean Payne

On Nov 9, 2010, at 10:11 AM, Steve Lucas wrote:

I remain surprised that an STMFC built post-WWII had wood running
boards on it.
Steve,
The year 1947 was the end of transition period for running boards when
the last ones made of wood were applied to new cars. Not only did this
apply to the carbon black covered hoppers, the same held true to AC&F
tank cars as a number of them built in 1947 had wood running boards &
dome platforms. The latest lot number of a new AC&F tank car having
wood running boards was lot 3119, built 9-47, SHPX 3600-3634.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

I have been waiting for the correct (for my era) lettering to be
available for this car for years. I doubt it ever will be available.
I'm not sure if there are decals or not.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Charlie Vlk

Jon-
Contact me off-list if you have photos or drawings of the lettering for the cars you want....
Thank you,
Charlie Vlk

On 11/9/2010 8:29 AM, Dean wrote:
Are decals available for a pre-1940's car? Or, would it be better just to get the F&C version? (Is it the same car?)

Decals, No. F&C better, I don't know. Same car. I don't know.
I studied the Rail Shops car some years ago and at that time there was a
picture of the pre-'40s car however it appears they never made lettering
for it. Looking at the Rail Shops site they make four cars none of
which is pre-war. I did my research so long ago I've forgotten exactly
what I learned If a manufacture comes out with a car I'm interested
in I usually ask for some of the estemed members of this list if it ok
for me and I also do my own research. But when they take 3 or 4 years
to get the model out I have forgotten everything I previously did.
Also I think $35 is on the high side for a kit you need to decal
and paint, BUT it's a very limited prototype and probably never would
have been done if not for either resin or Rail Shops (styrene).

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941