Suncoast Models FGEX Wood Kit

gary laakso

I located in my stash a circa 1972 $9.95 Suncoast Models FGEX wood kit. It has the body of the 12'-11" FGEX car but it has an all wood roof. I assume that it ought to have the steel roof used by FGEX , WFEX and BREX. The wood sides do not have the lower steel reinforcement sill and I am not sure how that can be represented.
I may build this and keep in my "period piece" group to show how very far kits have been transformed to the better. I did build 2 of the WFEX version of the kits, albeit one is much shorter then the other in 1972 and my building skills have improved along with the kits.

gary laakso
south of Mike Brock
vasa0vasa@...

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

I built this kit many years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed doing so. It is a still a personal favorite; and as a model it has garnered unsolicited praise by some pretty tough critics, particularly as relates to "what one can really do with wood craft kits". As I recall, it was one of the few kits produced with a fully proper floor and underframe construction, albeit without rivets, etc. (wood). The instruction sheet seemed worthy of collection just by itself.

A current builder would have the advantage of substituting some of the high grade current cast or molded details for those included in the original kit, plus the opportunity to add/substitute more detailing not included. A fine more-thin running board comes to mind.

Building wood craft model kits has been - and still is for me- one of the most satisfying parts of this hobby.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@..., Denny Anspach <danspach@...> wrote:
I built this kit many years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed doing so. It is a still a personal favorite;

Me too.

There was more than one reefer kit including original and modernized. Besides different decals they had different roofs. I remember both FGE & WFE (GN).