Topics

SHIPPING PAINT TO "FOREIGN LANDS"

WILLIAM PARDIE

OK. Hawaii is not a foreign land, however, it might as well
be when it
comes to shipping Scaleccoat or Floquil. Does anyone else
living outside
the continental US know of a shipper that will handle this
material?

Thanks in advance.

Bill Pardie

losgatos48@...

Bill
The Testors website cites that they cannot ship solvent-based paints outside the continental US. Do any of the hobbyshops in Honolulu handle military plastic models? There are a number of the Testor Model Masters colors similar to the railroad paints. Have you considered Poly Scale acrylic paints? I find them to work fairly well.
It is strange in that I can walk into the Ace Hardware in Kihei and buy enamel as well as other retailers on Maui. It is clear that it is not illegal to ship to the Islands. I suspect if comes over in a container rather than by air.

Gene Deimling
Wailea, Hawaii

OK. Hawaii is not a foreign land, however, it might as well
be when it
comes to shipping Scaleccoat or Floquil. Does anyone else
living outside
the continental US know of a shipper that will handle this
material?

Thanks in advance.

Bill Pardie

RDG2124 <RDG2124@...>

True, it is illegal to ship flammables via air. My local hobby shop of choice will not ship if there is any chance it could go by air.

Evan Leisey
Bennett, CO

OK. Hawaii is not a foreign land, however, it might as well
be when it
comes to shipping Scaleccoat or Floquil. Does anyone else
living outside
the continental US know of a shipper that will handle this
material?

Thanks in advance.

Bill Pardie

My friend George Bishop of Accupaint told me he always used
Roadway service (RPS?) -- it's handled like LTL. UPS and USPS
are much more restricted on what they can ship. You might look
at DHL Express too -- they will ship "dangerous goods" subject
to an extra charge.

Tim

OK. Hawaii is not a foreign land, however, it might as well
be when it comes to shipping Scaleccoat or Floquil. Does anyone else
living outsidethe continental US know of a shipper that will handle this
material?
Thanks in advance.
Bill Pardie

W.R.Dixon

On 2010-11-11 9:20 PM, RDG2124 wrote:
True, it is illegal to ship flammables via air. My local hobby shop of choice will not ship if there is any chance it could go by air.
US Post has a ground shipping method for these items. It gets an "ORMD" Blue sticker that forces ground shipment. Of course being in Hawaii there is no ground Option.

Bill Dixon

Tim O'Connor

I think in the case of the ocean, travelling on a boat qualifies
as being on the "ground".

US Post has a ground shipping method for these items. It gets an "ORMD"
Blue sticker that forces ground shipment. Of course being in Hawaii
there is no ground Option.
Bill Dixon

Storey Lindsay

Bill,

The problem is not the shipper, it's the USPS.

Storey Lindsay
Celje, Slovenia

OK. Hawaii is not a foreign land, however, it might as well
be when it
comes to shipping Scaleccoat or Floquil. Does anyone else
living outside
the continental US know of a shipper that will handle this
material?

Thanks in advance.

Bill Pardie

Pierre <pierre.oliver@...>

Bill ,
Welcome to the brave new world!
It is nearly impossible now to move small amounts of solvent or alcohol based products around North America. I can not get Neo-Lube sent to me "legally" unless I either import a huge amount or have it mailed to a postal box near the border and I go and get it.
The CNLines SIG has had to go through hoops to get it's line of Scalecoat based paints into Canada.
And yet we see case loads of all kinds of solvents, lacquers and other chemicals in our auto care stores. How does turpentine get to Michaels?
It's all highly frustrating and rather illogical.
Wish I had an answer for you.
Pierre Oliver

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, WILLIAM PARDIE <PARDIEW001@...> wrote:

OK. Hawaii is not a foreign land, however, it might as well
be when it
comes to shipping Scaleccoat or Floquil. Does anyone else
living outside
the continental US know of a shipper that will handle this
material?

Thanks in advance.

Bill Pardie

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Pierre" <pierre.oliver@...> wrote:

And yet we see case loads of all kinds of solvents, lacquers and other chemicals in our auto care stores. How does turpentine get to Michaels?
It's all highly frustrating and rather illogical.
Wish I had an answer for you.
Pierre Oliver
Likely via common carrier motor freight. I get all sorts of products containing flammable solvents via UPS, FEDEX, and motor freight; the kicker is that each parcel requires haz-mat documentation to be carried on the truck with the shipment, UPS and FEDEX both charge $10 a pop for this; not too much of a problem when purchasing $50 worth of mold cleaner, but a bit out of line for a $3 bottle of paint.

Air shipment is indeed a problem; it's little things like this that tend to make airplanes fall out of the sky, but I would suspect that there is someone who routes LTL freight to Hawaii in containers via ship.

Dennis