SP Conductor's book 1938-39

sp1930s

Dear List,

I recently acquired a SP Freight Conductor's Train Book from Jack Bowden and want to share it. The conductor's name could not be read from the cover, the location is on the S.P.'s Modoc Line mostly between Alturas and Wendel during 1938 and 1939. This is the line connecting S.P.'s Oregon operations to the Overland route at Fernley Nevada.

I scanned each page and put them in the photo section at:

Enjoy

Larry Castle - Seattle

al_brown03

Neat stuff! Thanks for sharing.

At a quick glance: lots of home-road cars (SP/T&NO). Occasional eastern cars (DL&W/Erie as well as Penna/NYC/subsidiaries). The only two SAL cars I noticed were a 15000-series box ('24 ARA SS, class B-5) and SAL 301, which is I have no idea what. Not familiar with that number series and can't read the car type, which however is *not* "B". Three-digit numbers normally belonged to passenger cars.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., "sp1930s" <sp1930s@...> wrote:

Dear List,

I recently acquired a SP Freight Conductor's Train Book from Jack Bowden and want to share it. The conductor's name could not be read from the cover, the location is on the S.P.'s Modoc Line mostly between Alturas and Wendel during 1938 and 1939. This is the line connecting S.P.'s Oregon operations to the Overland route at Fernley Nevada.

I scanned each page and put them in the photo section at:

Enjoy

Larry Castle - Seattle

Wendye Ware

This is very generous of you Larry. Thank you very much!

Larry Ostresh
Laramie, Wyoming

--- In STMFC@..., "sp1930s" <sp1930s@...> wrote:

Dear List,

I recently acquired a SP Freight Conductor's Train Book from Jack Bowden and want to share it. The conductor's name could not be read from the cover, the location is on the S.P.'s Modoc Line mostly between Alturas and Wendel during 1938 and 1939. This is the line connecting S.P.'s Oregon operations to the Overland route at Fernley Nevada.

I scanned each page and put them in the photo section at:

Enjoy

Larry Castle - Seattle

Clark Propst

Thanks for taking the time to scan that conductor's book. I'm starting a new presentation and need information from such records.

Thanks again,
Clark Propst

thomas christensen

Al,

SAL 301 is a 1911 built 70' baggage car.

Tom Christensen

 The only two SAL cars I noticed were a 15000-series box ('24 ARA SS, class B-5)
and SAL 301, which is I have no idea what. Not familiar with that number series
and can't read the car type, which however is *not* "B". Three-digit numbers
normally belonged to passenger cars.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

sp1930s

Al,

It looks like SAL 301 is listed as BAG, could it be a baggage car? Be nice to throw one into one of my 1930s SP Oregon freights.

To all who thanked me on and off line you are more then welcome. This is the first book of this type I have ever found and it is so interesting it had to be shared in a way others could use it also.

Larry Castle - Seattle

--- In STMFC@..., "al_brown03" <abrown@...> wrote:

[...]

It sure is a baggage car: see Tom Christensen's post. But, what in the world was it doing there?

[...]

Benjamin Hom

Al Brown wrote:
"[SAL 301] sure is a baggage car: see Tom Christensen's post. But, what in
the world was it doing there?"

Most likely an empty baggage car deadheading home in a freight train; this
wasn't an everyday occurrence, but it did happen from time to time, and it
looks like this conductor's book documents this occurrence.

Ben Hom

SUVCWORR@...

Baggage cars were used to transport newspapers, magazines, catalogs, and other specialized time sensitive loads. It was less expensive to ship by rail in bulk to distributed mailing points than to send by mail from one location. Not sure this counts as freight. May belong on the passenger car list.

Rich Orr

[...]

Individual Email | Traditional

(Yahoo! ID required)

STMFC-digest@...

STMFC-fullfeatured@...

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

mike brock <brockm@...>

Al, I can't speak to 1938-9 right now, but when I prepared for my clinic and article [ will it ever appear? ] on the C&NW/UP/SP Fast Mail in 1953 I discovered that a rather significant number of foreign cars...baggage, express, and frt...operated on this train. Cars might be carrying anything from dead bodies to newspapers. One interesting aspect is that it was common for a car to travel from one large eastern city...like NYC...to San Francisco without opening the car [ hopefully one with newspapers ].

I'll take a look and see what cars from southern locations might be traveling on the Overland Route.

Mike Brock

Tim O'Connor

Mike

What about that ACL combine #666, travelling mysteriously back and forth
between the Rocky Flats and the Savannah River nuclear facilities... Any
record of that car on the Overland route?

Tim O'Connor

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tim O'Connor wrote:
What about that ACL combine #666, travelling mysteriously back and forth between the Rocky Flats and the Savannah River nuclear facilities... Any record of that car on the Overland route?
Solving that mystery would require a security clearance, Tim <g>.

Publishers of books on railroad history

mike brock <brockm@...>

Tim O'Connor asks

What about that ACL combine #666, travelling mysteriously back and forth
between the Rocky Flats and the Savannah River nuclear facilities... Any
record of that car on the Overland route?
In what train?

Mike Brock

Tim O'Connor

yer the expert buddy... you tell me! (prolly not the COLA or COSF)

What about that ACL combine #666, travelling mysteriously back and forth
between the Rocky Flats and the Savannah River nuclear facilities... Any
record of that car on the Overland route?
In what train?

Mike Brock

SUVCWORR@...

The ACL/SAL historical society had NKP products produce the 666 in 2008. According to the flyer announcing the car it was routed ACL to L&N to CB&Q.

Rich Orr

yer the expert buddy... you tell me! (prolly not the COLA or COSF)

What about that ACL combine #666, travelling mysteriously back and forth
between the Rocky Flats and the Savannah River nuclear facilities... Any
record of that car on the Overland route?
In what train?
Mike Brock

Individual Email | Traditional

(Yahoo! ID required)

STMFC-digest@...

STMFC-fullfeatured@...

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

=

A. Premo <armprem2@...>

Not unusual at all.Very common in the Northeast.Armand Premo

Al, I can't speak to 1938-9 right now, but when I prepared for my clinic and
article [ will it ever appear? ] on the C&NW/UP/SP Fast Mail in 1953 I
discovered that a rather significant number of foreign cars...baggage,
express, and frt...operated on this train. Cars might be carrying anything
from dead bodies to newspapers. One interesting aspect is that it was common
for a car to travel from one large eastern city...like NYC...to San
Francisco without opening the car [ hopefully one with newspapers ].

I'll take a look and see what cars from southern locations might be
traveling on the Overland Route.

Mike Brock

Obama Urges Homeowners to Refinance
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/4cf7ce56c2ea3491595st03duc