RDG/ Southern box car questions

ed_mines

The new RPC is terrific with many photos I've never seen before.

Did RDG box cars series 100500 have riveted plate ends or 7/8 Murphy ends? The new RPC says Murphy (p.92). Ted's spiral bound box car reference manual says riveted ("X29") ends (p.129).

(I have the utmost respect for the gentlemen connected with both publications).

Were the ends of the taller RDG USRA steel box cars (101000-102999) identical to the ends of the flat ended Seaboard & NC&StL box cars? The sides must have had significantly different river patterns, right? Was there ever a Red Ball kit for these cars? I think there was a cast end.

Did the AHM door box car have the Murphy solid steel roof that most of these USRA steel box had? How close were these models to Southern's double door, ds box cars?

Ed

Bill Welch

The 5,000 Southern DS DD cars had Hutchins roofs and inset Dreadnaught ends. I am not familiar with the AHM model.

The SAL/NC&StL had flat plate riveted ends similar to the RDG cars and a similar if not identical roof. Since the SAL/NC&StL cars are the 1932 ARA design they have five riveted panels while the RDG car has four panels on each side of the door. The side sills are very different.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "EdwardM" <ed_mines@...> wrote:

The new RPC is terrific with many photos I've never seen before.

Did RDG box cars series 100500 have riveted plate ends or 7/8 Murphy ends? The new RPC says Murphy (p.92). Ted's spiral bound box car reference manual says riveted ("X29") ends (p.129).

(I have the utmost respect for the gentlemen connected with both publications).

Were the ends of the taller RDG USRA steel box cars (101000-102999) identical to the ends of the flat ended Seaboard & NC&StL box cars? The sides must have had significantly different river patterns, right? Was there ever a Red Ball kit for these cars? I think there was a cast end.

Did the AHM door box car have the Murphy solid steel roof that most of these USRA steel box had? How close were these models to Southern's double door, ds box cars?

Ed

Dave Pfeiffer

Ed,

Reading XMt box cars 100000 - 100499 had 7/8 corrugated ends. XMt's 100500 - 100999 had riveted plate ends.

Dave Pfeiffer

The new RPC is terrific with many photos I've never seen before.

Did RDG box cars series 100500 have riveted plate ends or 7/8 Murphy ends? The new RPC says Murphy (p.92). Ted's spiral bound box car reference manual says riveted ("X29") ends (p.129).

(I have the utmost respect for the gentlemen connected with both publications).

Were the ends of the taller RDG USRA steel box cars (101000-102999) identical to the ends of the flat ended Seaboard & NC&StL box cars? The sides must have had significantly different river patterns, right? Was there ever a Red Ball kit for these cars? I think there was a cast end.

Did the AHM door box car have the Murphy solid steel roof that most of these USRA steel box had? How close were these models to Southern's double door, ds box cars?

Ed

Ed Hawkins

Dave,
Thanks for your reply. Pat heard about the error earlier.
Take care, Ed

[...]

Benjamin Hom

Ed Mines asked:
"Did the AHM door box car have the Murphy solid steel roof that most of
these USRA steel box had?"

It sort of does.  There are 11 carlines instead of 13, and the relief
of the carlines is shallow compared to that of the prototype.

"How close were these models to Southern's double door, ds box cars?"

Both the AHM model and the Southern prototypes are 40 ft DS double
door boxcars.  The similarity ends there.  The AHM model is taller than
the majority of the Southern prototypes and has different ends and
roof.

This is an odd model for which we haven't been able to find a
prototype.  It appears to be a 40 ft version of the 50 ft Silver
Streak DS Furniture/Automobile boxcar model.  While the combination
of taller height, wood doors, and early dreadnaught ends is a bit
unusual if you think about it, it's not terribly outlandish either,
and if you cut away the "reinforcement" under the doors, replace the
running board, sill steps, and brakewheel, and give the model a more
appropriate paint job, it'll ably fill a niche in a proto-freelance
roster for a road that needs furniture or lumber cars.
http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/ahmhoscalefreightcars/id70.html
http://www.sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun37b.pdf
http://www.sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun55.pdf

Ben Hom

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Ben Hom wrote:
This is an odd model for which we haven't been able to find a prototype. It appears to be a 40 ft version of the 50 ft Silver
Streak DS Furniture/Automobile boxcar model.
http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/ahmhoscalefreightcars/id70.html
You mean the bright green Santa Fe and the giant keystone PRR versions are NOT correct??? <g>

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

Urf! That's like saying Phyllis Diller can fill in for Angelina Jolie
in a typical girlfriends roster...

Tim O'Connor

.... it'll ably fill a niche in a proto-freelance
roster for a road that needs furniture or lumber cars.
http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/ahmhoscalefreightcars/id70.html
http://www.sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun37b.pdf
http://www.sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun55.pdf
Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

I wrote:
[The AHM 40 ft DS automobile boxcar will] ably fill a niche in a
proto-freelance roster for a road that needs furniture or lumber
cars.
http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/ahmhoscalefreightcars/id70.html
http://www.sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun37b.pdf
http://www.sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun55.pdf

Tim O'Connor replied:
"Urf! That's like saying Phyllis Diller can fill in for Angelina Jolie
in a typical girlfriends roster..."

Sounds like a modeling challenge ala Iron Chef - care to put your money
where your pie-hole is?

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Ben

Ok, I'll bet you can't turn this sow's ear into a silk purse.
If you lose you have to buy me a beer the next time we meet and
vice versa. And we'll probably have to buy a round for the jury
too.

Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor wrote:
Ok, I'll bet you can't turn this sow's ear into a silk purse. If you lose you have to buy me a beer the next time we meet and
vice versa. And we'll probably have to buy a round for the jury too.
Ben, never bet Tim any beer. Last time I did so, he lost but wouldn't pay up.

Tony Thompson
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937;
e-mail: thompson@...

Benjamin Hom

Tim, you misunderstand the challenge. If I do this project, you're doing it
too. Allez chemin-de-fer!

Ben Hom

I wrote:
[The AHM 40 ft DS automobile boxcar will] ably fill a niche in a
proto-freelance roster for a road that needs furniture or lumber
cars.
http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/ahmhoscalefreightcars/id70.html
http://www.sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun37b.pdf
http://www.sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun55.pdf

Tim O'Connor replied:
"Urf! That's like saying Phyllis Diller can fill in for Angelina Jolie
in a typical girlfriends roster..."

Sounds like a modeling challenge ala Iron Chef - care to put your money
where your pie-hole is?

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Ben

So you're saying take a sow's ear, and see which one of us
produces the least distasteful result?? I guess this is why
I've never seen "Iron Chef"... I'm more of a Julia Child fan,
preferring to start with only high quality ingredients. :-)

Tim O'

I wrote:
[The AHM 40 ft DS automobile boxcar will] ably fill a niche in a
proto-freelance roster for a road that needs furniture or lumber
cars.
http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/ahmhoscalefreightcars/id70.html
http://www.sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun37b.pdf
http://www.sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun55.pdf

Tim O'Connor replied:
"Urf! That's like saying Phyllis Diller can fill in for Angelina Jolie
in a typical girlfriends roster..."

Sounds like a modeling challenge ala Iron Chef - care to put your money
where your pie-hole is?

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

So sayeth Tony... but where is thy Jury?

Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor wrote:
"So you're saying take a sow's ear, and see which one of us
produces the least distasteful result?? I guess this is why
I've never seen "Iron Chef"... I'm more of a Julia Child fan,
preferring to start with only high quality ingredients. :-)"

Actually, you're missing out.  The chefs, especially the ones in the original
Japanese version, actually produce some five star cuisine more often than not,
and creativity, skill, and knowledge are what gets tested on the show.  If
you're saying you're not up to the challenge, then we all understand.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Yes Ben, you're just too talented for my meager skills... No way could
I produce a 5-star model from that piece of junk. I bow to your genius.

Tim O'Connor wrote:
"So you're saying take a sow's ear, and see which one of us
produces the least distasteful result?? I guess this is why
I've never seen "Iron Chef"... I'm more of a Julia Child fan,
preferring to start with only high quality ingredients. :-)"

Actually, you're missing out. The chefs, especially the ones in the original
Japanese version, actually produce some five star cuisine more often than not,
and creativity, skill, and knowledge are what gets tested on the show. If
you're saying you're not up to the challenge, then we all understand.

Ben Hom

lnnrr <lnnrr@...>

Perhaps the jury should meet in Cocoa Beach. With ballots on the table.
Come Friday morning....Oyez! Oyez! Decision to be announced on
Saturday night by the Sheriff in these here parts. Photos of the
underframe to be supplied beside the models so no one need turn
them over to see.
Chuck Peck

Tim O'Connor wrote:
Ok, I'll bet you can't turn this sow's ear into a silk purse. If you
lose you have to buy me a beer the next time we meet and
vice versa. And we'll probably have to buy a round for the jury too.
Ben, never bet Tim any beer. Last time I did so, he lost but
wouldn't pay up.

Tony Thompson

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

A piece of roof, end, and side sticking out from the mud and/or under other better-detailed cars at a derailment site, perhaps?

Steve Lucas.

Tim O'Connor wrote:
"Yes Ben, you're just too talented for my meager skills... No way
could I produce a 5-star model from that piece of junk. I bow to your
genius."

I'll take that as a statement of respect instead of the sarcasm that it undoubtedly is. Actually, the guy you need to worry about is Rydarowicz. Any man who can turn models such as Penn Line TOFC flats and Gilbert reefers into beautiful prototype models and freely share his work is truly a genius.

Ben Hom

James F. Brewer <jfbrewer@...>

Gosh...I thought Tim was just sayin' he ain't buying any beer!

Jim Brewer

Glenwood MD

"Yes Ben, you're just too talented for my meager skills... No way
could I produce a 5-star model from that piece of junk. I bow to your
genius."

I'll take that as a statement of respect instead of the sarcasm that it undoubtedly is. Actually, the guy you need to worry about is Rydarowicz. Any man who can turn models such as Penn Line TOFC flats and Gilbert reefers into beautiful prototype models and freely share his work is truly a genius.

Ben Hom

In time for Cocoa Beach? I was thinking more along the lines of
modeling a car that caught fire and burned down to the trucks...