Loads...link to AMB; sorry! (UNCLASSIFIED)

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: FOUO

Guys;

Hey, I didn't included it, but:

http://www.rgspemkt.com/215-P1.html

and

http://www.rgspemkt.com/206

Sorry!

Elden Gatwood

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: FOUO

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

Eldon: What is the structural beam load made from?

KL

Bruce Smith

Curt,

The beam loads are made from a thin cardboard-like material. Many of
the parts are backed with adhesive and, at least the "green monster"
load pretty much assembled w/o glue (I painted mine a more sedate grimy
black). I've found it to take paint well, so it is not paper-like.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

"Kurt Laughlin" <fleeta@...> 12/10/10 3:53 PM >>>
Eldon: What is the structural beam load made from?

KL

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

Does it look like painted metal or painted "cardboard-like material"? I've never been impressed with wood structures because 1:1 wood just doesn't look like 1:87 wood, even painted.

KL

cj riley <cjriley42@...>

<The beam loads are made from a thin cardboard-like material. Many of

the parts are backed with adhesive and, at least the "green monster"

load pretty much assembled w/o glue (I painted mine a more sedate grimy

black). I've found it to take paint well, so it is not paper-like.>

There is a resin impregnated paper material being used by some laser kit folks. It works great for windows and other fine details.

CJ Riley

__,_.CJ Riley_,___

Jim Hayes

The resin impregnated stiff paper has a smooth plastic-like finish. It's
nice stuff but very light.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...> wrote:

Does it look like painted metal or painted "cardboard-like material"? I've
never been impressed with wood structures because 1:1 wood just doesn't
look
like 1:87 wood, even painted.

KL

The beam loads are made from a thin cardboard-like material. Many of
the parts are backed with adhesive and, at least the "green monster"
load pretty much assembled w/o glue (I painted mine a more sedate grimy
black). I've found it to take paint well, so it is not paper-like.

I think it's a very thin version of MDF (medium density fiberboard).
At least that's what it looks like to me.

The beam loads are made from a thin cardboard-like material. Many of
the parts are backed with adhesive and, at least the "green monster"
load pretty much assembled w/o glue (I painted mine a more sedate grimy
black). I've found it to take paint well, so it is not paper-like.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Pierre <pierre.oliver@...>

If the material you're describing is what I think it is, what you are actually looking at was described to me as a resin impregnated paper.
AMB did a special run of brake levers for using that material. Neat stuff!
Pierre Oliver

I think it's a very thin version of MDF (medium density fiberboard).
At least that's what it looks like to me.

The beam loads are made from a thin cardboard-like material. Many of
the parts are backed with adhesive and, at least the "green monster"
load pretty much assembled w/o glue (I painted mine a more sedate grimy
black). I've found it to take paint well, so it is not paper-like.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

earlyrail

I think it's a very thin version of MDF (medium density fiberboard).
At least that's what it looks like to me.

The beam loads are made from a thin cardboard-like material. Many of
the parts are backed with adhesive and, at least the "green monster"
load pretty much assembled w/o glue (I painted mine a more sedate grimy
black). I've found it to take paint well, so it is not paper-like.

This has been discussed over in one of my laser groups.
The material is called PolyBak.
Here is a link www.polybak.com
Available for Northeastern Lumber in 12" x 23" sheets to manufacturers only. Not listed on their web site.
think you will be seeing more of this in place of the 1/64 plywood used for windows etc.

Howard Garner
30 Watt VL300 VersaLaser