Topics

Larry Jackman 1931-2009

pullmanboss <tcmadden@...>

On the Passenger Car List yesterday, Bill McCoy mentioned "the late Larry Jackman". Further digging uncovered a Social Security death notice for Lawrence Albert Jackman, born 12/11/1931, died 6/9/2009 in Pierce, WA. The notice says previous records can be found at Boca Raton, FL.

This seems to be "our" Larry, and it appears that his passing was not unknown in the RR hobby community. But it was never noted on the STMFC List, which is the reason for this post.

Tom Madden

"I started with nothing, and still have most of it left." Larry Jackman

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tom Madden wrote:
On the Passenger Car List yesterday, Bill McCoy mentioned "the late Larry Jackman". Further digging uncovered a Social Security death notice for Lawrence Albert Jackman, born 12/11/1931, died 6/9/2009 in Pierce, WA. The notice says previous records can be found at Boca Raton, FL.
This seems to be "our" Larry, and it appears that his passing was not unknown in the RR hobby community. But it was never noted on the STMFC List, which is the reason for this post.

"I started with nothing, and still have most of it left." Larry Jackman
Thanks, Tom. The fact we hadn't heard from Larry for months made me think he must have passed on, particularly since his last post to the list, early in 2009 IIRC, said he had made his "last journey" back to Washington state. He was an irrepressible and endlessly interesting part of this list, and I've missed him. I think the mold was broken after Larry was made.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

Tom

It was always interesting to hear what Larry had to say -- here
is a 2008 post of his concerning AAR rules for car loading:

"When I was a clerk on the Un Pac At Topeka and Salina Ks we never
followed the rules. If a box car was not marked return to XXX when
empty we used the empty cars as we wanted. The lead engine would put
the empties in to a track. Then if 40 cars were needed for loading at
various industries the house engine would pull the first 40 cars from
which ever end of the track and spot them where ever they were
ordered. Nobody cared who owned the car. To us it was an out bound load.
Once in a while there was a note about a car going the wrong the
wrong direction. We would read the note and continue as we wanted."
-- Larry Jackman, 8/13/2008

On the Passenger Car List yesterday, Bill McCoy mentioned "the late Larry Jackman". Further digging uncovered a Social Security death notice for Lawrence Albert Jackman, born 12/11/1931, died 6/9/2009 in Pierce, WA. The notice says previous records can be found at Boca Raton, FL.

This seems to be "our" Larry, and it appears that his passing was not unknown in the RR hobby community. But it was never noted on the STMFC List, which is the reason for this post.

Tom Madden

"I started with nothing, and still have most of it left." Larry Jackman

Schuyler Larrabee

Thanks, Tom, for posting this. I've thought about Larry from time to time
the last few years, since he stopped posting on the list. I was always
interested to see what he had to say because of the famous multiplicity of
his life experiences. His perspective was unique in my opinion.

The world is a poorer place with him gone.

SGL

On the Passenger Car List yesterday, Bill McCoy mentioned "the late Larry
Jackman". Further digging uncovered a Social Security death notice for
Lawrence Albert Jackman, born 12/11/1931, died 6/9/2009 in Pierce, WA. The
notice says previous records can be found at Boca Raton, FL.

This seems to be "our" Larry, and it appears that his passing was not
unknown in the RR hobby community. But it was never noted on the STMFC List,
which is the reason for this post.

Tom Madden

"I started with nothing, and still have most of it left." Larry Jackman

=======
=======

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

dh30973

The subject of Larry came up on Andy Harman's Diesel List the end of November, which prompted several posts. I had the opportunity to get to know Larry pretty well, a little better than the semi casual we do with people we meet through this hobby and keep in touch with with letters, phone calls, e-mail or seeing at various meets. Here is a reposting of what I wrote to Andy's List:

This discussion about Larry Jackman got me digging through my files. I first met Larry through Ed Ryan back in the late 1980's. Ed was working in the Seattle area and somehow had been introduced to Larry (I think it was through Bob Hundman of Mainline Modeler). I went up to see Ed and he took me to visit Larry. Talk about the mad professor/shade tree mechanic, his garage was full of "stuff" for making the parts he was selling under the Smokey Valley line. He had some attachment for his drill press that heated plastic pellets that were then squeezed into a mold that he just clamped in a mill vise. Very basic for small parts. He had several molds that were made from the 3M Tartan process that used a sintered metal powder to capture the detail off of a male master. Thru Ed we became friends.

In 1989 Rail Power Products introduced their SD60 shell, and Larry had the late Joel Berling tool him a three window cab to convert the SD60 into a SD60M. Ed had moved back to Southern California and moved in with me. Larry asked Ed and I to build him a display model for the Houston NMRA Convention for his display. Later I wrote and article on the model that ran in the January 1990 issue of Mainline Modeler. Later that year I had scratch built a Dynamic Brake Section to make a Phase II GP50 out of an Athearn GP50. At Larry's request I made drawings for the dynamic section that I sent to Larry in June 1990. He had Joel make the tooling for the dynamic and then also the Blomberg Type M truck side frame.

Over the years we kept in touch and saw each other at shows, and he was always after me for other ideas that he could make. After he sold Smokey Valley to Bob Wright (Wright Track, who subsiquently sold the Smokey Valley part of it to Larry Burt) there was a period that he could not compete. I think this is when he and is wife moved to Florida, and he got involved in S Scale stuff, and later back into HO with the switcher side frames. His connection with Joel was fruitful for Larry and the hobby. Joel was one of those master "behind the scenes" toolmakers who did projects for lots of small companies from Detail Associates, Smokey Valley, Des Plaines Hobbies, PBL, Hi Tech Details, Wright Track, and many others. He could work from sketches and photographs and produce quality molds. Joel passed away in 2006 not long after Gordon Cannon. Without Joel, Larry lost his toolmaker.

I last saw him at one of the Cocoa Beach meets a few years ago, but he didn't spend much time as his wife was not doing well and he wanted to get back home. Many of you only know him from his stories and/or rants on the various lists but anyone who met him will remember him as someone with a lot of knowledge and a will to share it.

Larry we (at least me) miss you.

Regards

David Hussey
PS Tom, Thanks

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "pullmanboss" <tcmadden@...> wrote:

On the Passenger Car List yesterday, Bill McCoy mentioned "the late Larry Jackman". Further digging uncovered a Social Security death notice for Lawrence Albert Jackman, born 12/11/1931, died 6/9/2009 in Pierce, WA. The notice says previous records can be found at Boca Raton, FL.

This seems to be "our" Larry, and it appears that his passing was not unknown in the RR hobby community. But it was never noted on the STMFC List, which is the reason for this post.

Tom Madden

"I started with nothing, and still have most of it left." Larry Jackman

dennyanspach <danspach@...>

I did not know Larry Jackman, although I did meet him briefly one time. He could be abrasive at times in his posts, but his experiences as a real life on-the-ground railroad operations employee always came through with a healthy dose of credibility.

Over a period of several years prior to his move from Florida to the northwest, he sent me box after box after box of his railroad-subject photos (color prints) most of them photos of railroad car details- details of all kinds from cars of all kinds.

Although I counseled him repeatedly that if he contributed them directly to the California State Railroad Museum, he could be eligible for tax credits, he insisted that they be given to me, to then give to the CSRM. That is what I did (no, I did not take the tax credits).

His brief very last and candid posts from Florida were remarkable in that he made clear in his own words that he was moving to the Northwest to die. I do not believe that we heard from him again.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 12, 2010, at 9:22 AM, dennyanspach wrote:

I did not know Larry Jackman, although I did meet him briefly one
time. He could be abrasive at times in his posts, but his
experiences as a real life on-the-ground railroad operations
employee always came through with a healthy dose of credibility.

Over a period of several years prior to his move from Florida to
the northwest, he sent me box after box after box of his railroad-
subject photos (color prints) most of them photos of railroad car
details- details of all kinds from cars of all kinds.

Although I counseled him repeatedly that if he contributed them
directly to the California State Railroad Museum, he could be
eligible for tax credits, he insisted that they be given to me, to
then give to the CSRM. That is what I did (no, I did not take the
tax credits).
Larry sent me a large number of freight car blueprints on the same
basis –that I was to use them in any manner I saw fit and eventually
contribute them to CSRM. Like Denny, I never quite understood why he
chose to give away his collection in this fashion, but I was happy to
honor his request. As Denny says, he was sometimes abrasive on-line
– I sometimes wondered if the problems with his health rendered him a
bit irritable – but pleasant in person, on the two occasions when I
met him at prototype modelers' gatherings. And he was certainly
generous in insuring that his collection of prototype photos and data
wouldn't end up in a dumpster somewhere. I'd like to think that he
is now violating car service rules right and left in the great
freight yard in the sky.

Richard Hendrickson