Weighing reefers

Walter

Clark,

I would have to agree with Andy. The potatoes coming out of the Rutherford plant in Burlington
were never weighed. Number of sacks times weight. On the rare occasion cars were iced there wasn't
an allowance made for ice. Even with ice the car(s) would be will within the load limit.

Lenny

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Lenny (not signing his whole name) wrote:
I would have to agree with Andy. The potatoes coming out of the Rutherford plant in Burlington were never weighed. Number of sacks times weight. On the rare occasion cars were iced there wasn't an allowance made for ice. Even with ice the car(s) would be will within the load limit.
Was there a standard load, so many sacks? Do you know if there was a weight agreement, or a tariff category (for a carload of potatoes)?

Tony Thompson
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937;
e-mail: thompson@signaturepress.com

Douglas Harding

Clark, my understanding is that meat reefers with swinging meat were weighed
after being loaded and iced. This was because the carcasses varied so much.
The weight of the car was known, as was the amount of ice loaded into the
bunkers. When the car was weighted, subtract the amount of ice that was
loaded, and you have the weight of the load. Yes there would be some melt
and variance. But apparently this was accounted for with in the agreements.
Tony has pointed out a 100 allowance, which sounds reasonable when one
considers the total weight of a car and load.

Seems to me you told me that reefers from Deckers were taken to the scales
down at the Albert Lea tracks once loaded. Then after begin weighted were
returned to Middle yard for placement in the DMX. (for those who don't know
this is the M&StL in Mason City IA). Other meat plants had similar
arrangements, some even had their own scales

On my layout, I follow the following procedure with reefers at Decker when
we operate. Loaded reefers are taken to the scale, at the other end of the
yard, to be weighed before leaving town in the meat train. It adds an extra
move for the Decker switcher.

I will be interested in learning if something different was done.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org