Everything has a name

Bill Welch

I have a photo of a diagonal panel roof being assembled. To align the
rivet holes the assembly crew is using a tool. There must be a name
for such a tool. Does anyone know? Could it be a simple as an
"alignment tool?"

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727.470.9930
fgexbill@...

soolinehistory <destorzek@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

I have a photo of a diagonal panel roof being assembled. To align the
rivet holes the assembly crew is using a tool. There must be a name
for such a tool. Does anyone know? Could it be a simple as an
"alignment tool?"
If they are driving it through one of the holes, it's a tapered pin called a "drift pin".

Dennis

Brian Carlson

In structural engineering we commonly use a "Drift Pin" when alligning
connections. I am not sure if the term translated to other fields.

I have a photo of a diagonal panel roof being assembled. To align the
rivet holes the assembly crew is using a tool. There must be a name
for such a tool. Does anyone know? Could it be a simple as an
"alignment tool?"

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727.470.9930
fgexbill@... <mailto:fgexbill%40tampabay.rr.com>

Bill Welch

I was right, everything has a name. Thank you Dennis and Brian!

Bill

--- In STMFC@..., "Brian Carlson" <prrk41361@...> wrote:

In structural engineering we commonly use a "Drift Pin" when alligning
connections. I am not sure if the term translated to other fields.

I have a photo of a diagonal panel roof being assembled. To align the
rivet holes the assembly crew is using a tool. There must be a name
for such a tool. Does anyone know? Could it be a simple as an
"alignment tool?"

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727.470.9930
fgexbill@... <mailto:fgexbill%40tampabay.rr.com>

Larry Sexton

Bill,

It is most probably one of two tools. Its either a tapered alignment bar
about 18” long with a 6-8” taper for 1/8-7/8” holes or if the holes are
larger it may be a tapered spud wrench, but those are usually used for holes
over ¾” and heavy structural steel. I have seen the spud wrenches being used
in photos of car repair shops. If I remember, the roof sheets are about
.100” thick which is about where the alignment bars tend to snap if the
sheets aren’t close enough together when being aligned.

Larry Sexton

I have a photo of a diagonal panel roof being assembled. To align the
rivet holes the assembly crew is using a tool. There must be a name
for such a tool. Does anyone know? Could it be a simple as an
"alignment tool?"

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727.470.9930
fgexbill@... <mailto:fgexbill%40tampabay.rr.com>

kenneth chapin <kenneth_chapin@...>

Hi;
   yes, it is called a drift punch,they are also used to line up bolt holes,saves a lot of hard work.    ken chapin

I have a photo of a diagonal panel roof being assembled. To align the

rivet holes the assembly crew is using a tool. There must be a name

for such a tool. Does anyone know? Could it be a simple as an

"alignment tool?"

Bill Welch

2225 Nursery Road; #20-104

Clearwater, FL 33764-7622

727.470.9930

fgexbill@...

dennyanspach <danspach@...>

"Drift pins", as commonly used in wood boatbuilding are not tapered, but are long straight rods -silicon bronze or galvanized steel-, with or without heads, that are driven in to predrilled holes primarily to keep two pieces of wood strongly aligned. Of course, when the holes are long and tight enough, the drift pins also can and do very much function as very big nails.

I also use "drift pins" -commonly, the clipped-off ends of wire grabs, etc.- in predrilled holes all the time in modeling to secure small parts in place and in alignment while cement dries (or doesn't).

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento

Jeff Sankus

Bill;
You are close...it's an alignment pin. A long tapered steel bar.
Jeff

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...>wrote:

I have a photo of a diagonal panel roof being assembled. To align the
rivet holes the assembly crew is using a tool. There must be a name
for such a tool. Does anyone know? Could it be a simple as an
"alignment tool?"

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727.470.9930
fgexbill@... <fgexbill%40tampabay.rr.com>

Greg Martin

Wait, Wait, I have seen one of these and it does have a name and we have
all heard it before... It's called a thingie... We've all heard the guys
saying it in the shop,"hand me that thingie right there, Thanks".

Greg Martin

, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

I have a photo of a diagonal panel roof being assembled. To align the
rivet holes the assembly crew is using a tool. There must be a name
for such a tool. Does anyone know? Could it be a simple as an
"alignment tool?"

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727.470.9930
fgexbill@...

Bruce Smith

Bill,

If it looks a little more complicated than a simple pin, it might be
what I know as a "cleco", which is a temporary fastener used in holes
intended to be riveted to allow the parts to be completely and correctly
aligned. The "celcos" are removed one by one and replaced by rivets.
One example of their use is in homebuilt aircraft manufacture.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> 12/23/10 4:34 PM >>>
I have a photo of a diagonal panel roof being assembled. To align the
rivet holes the assembly crew is using a tool. There must be a name
for such a tool. Does anyone know? Could it be a simple as an
"alignment tool?"

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727.470.9930
fgexbill@...

gettheredesigns <rick@...>

You're all correct--not only does everything have a name, but often more than one name. I was once a foreman in a machine and welding shop, and we used a tapered pin to align holes for assembly. We called them a drift pin or drift, but in an industrial supply catalog, they are listed as alignment pins or alignment punches. To a blacksmith, a drift is a tapered bar that is forced through a hole to shape it or bring it to final size, and they are not always round in cross section. An oblong drift is used to shape the hole when making a hammer head, so it will fit a standard handle. As someone mentioned, sometimes the tapered pin forms the handle for a wrench; these are commonly used in structural steel erection. The length gives leverage to force the parts into alignment, then a bolt or rivet is inserted into an adjacent hole.
Rick Aylsworth

--- In STMFC@..., "Bruce Smith" <smithbf@...> wrote:

[...]

Fred Swanson

I was in the boilermakers union for a number of years and it was always referred to as a spud bar. If there was a wrench on the one end it was called a spud wrench. Another little tidbit on a the size of the wrench was the size of the bolt and not the size of the opening.
Fred Swanson

--- In STMFC@..., Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

I have a photo of a diagonal panel roof being assembled. To align the
rivet holes the assembly crew is using a tool. There must be a name
for such a tool. Does anyone know? Could it be a simple as an
"alignment tool?"

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727.470.9930
fgexbill@...

Nathaniel Gould

--- In STMFC@..., "Brian Carlson" <prrk41361@...> wrote:

In structural engineering we commonly use a "Drift Pin" when alligning
connections. I am not sure if the term translated to other fields.

"Drift Pins" (steel, tapered both ends) are commonly used in timber framing to temporarily connect components until they can be replaced with wooden pegs.