Sloss-Sheffield Steel & Iron

Jason Greene

I am looking for any and all pictures of the SSS&I. They owned hundreds of hoppers and gons for coal and coke use in Birmingham, AL. Many if not most were purchased second hand from other railroads. I am modeling the years around 1954.

I am also interested in you have any divestiture information about hoppers that were sold to Sloss or US Pipe & Foundary in the 40s and 50s.

Jason Greene

Jason Greene

I have researched the railroad thoroughly. There is very little that has been written about this railroad. I have been working on a history, the Sloss Furnace Museum in Birmingham has the first edition, and have found very few pictures of the operation.

I have dug through old books on Birmingham and Sloss both. I have been to train shows looking for pictures. I have not had a chance to speak with Bob from Bob’s Photo because I can’t seem to get a working phone number for him. I have looked through several books and very little has shown up.

That is why I am looking for help. The railroad utilized nearly all second hand hoppers from what I can tell. I am hoping that some of you may have pictures or sources that may show cars being sold to Sloss. Company name followed this sequence: Sloss Company, Sloss-Sheffield Steel & Iron Co., US Pipe & Foundry Co., Jim Walter Industries, Jefferson Warrior and now it is Alabama Warrior.

Thank you for your help.

Jason Greene

al_brown03

In the 1/43 ORER, US Pipe & Foundry (UPFX) is shown with three tank cars as their whole fleet. None of the companies listed appears in the 1/53 ORER. Were the hoppers not used in interchange?

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., Jason Greene <jason.p.greene@...> wrote:

[...]

water.kresse@...

Try the Hagley Museum in Greenville Delaware digital collections for photos . . . start with the AISI Collection and then check others.

Al Kresse

[...]

No, it does not appear that the company cars were interchanged. The Companies did however interchange cars from the Southern, L&N, Central of Georgia, Frisco and Seaboard. I know CG got Sloss coal from Flat Top and/or Bessie Mines but not sure where it was delivered by the CG. Southern had a branch to Flat Top at one point but pulled it up before the 50s it appears. Frisco had a brach that reached Bessie Mine from the west.

The railroad would have interchanged cars at North Birmingham to the above roads loaded with the following: Coal, Coke, Slag (Rock) Wool, and several types of chemicals from the coke process. North Birmingham had the Sloss Co. Coke Ovens (220 mechanical ovens), Chemical By-Products plant and Wool Plant. The served the now famous Sloss Furnaces, called City Furnace 1 and 2 then, on a line that ran into Birmingham. There were also two blast furnaces in another part of N. Birmingham. In 1954 or so the company built a fifth furnace on the same site as the ovens and chemical plant.

Lots of switching to do to say the least.

Jason