Freight Car Statistics

mike brock <brockm@...>

Armand Premo writes:

Elden,I am using the car totals as presented for 1947.If I have correctly read the information the national tank car total, as given ,was only some 8531 cars with which I am having some difficulty accepting.Please correct me if I am misreading those figures.
I'm a bit late into this thread and I may be missing something but, if I'm reading it right, Armand's problem is that the 8531 total is for RR owned tank cars. Union Tank Car alone had 44,831 tank cars in 1953. Shippers Car Line had 11182 and Sinclair owned 4976. These numbers probably are similar for 1948...

It should be noted that during WW2 solid trains of tank cars moved from the southwest through Appalachia, rolling over billions of tons of coal which was not very useful in oil derivative fuels used in tanks, ships and aircraft.

Mike Brock

devansprr

--- In STMFC@..., "mike brock" <brockm@...> wrote:
I'm a bit late into this thread and I may be missing something but, if I'm
reading it right, Armand's problem is that the 8531 total is for RR owned
tank cars. Union Tank Car alone had 44,831 tank cars in 1953. Shippers Car
Line had 11182 and Sinclair owned 4976. These numbers probably are similar
for 1948...

It should be noted that during WW2 solid trains of tank cars moved from the
southwest through Appalachia, rolling over billions of tons of coal which
was not very useful in oil derivative fuels used in tanks, ships and
aircraft.

Mike Brock
Mike,

One of the really cool things I hope to model on a WWII PRR layout - the stats I have seen suggest the PRR ran over 600 loaded tank cars over the summit at Gallitzen every day early in the war when the U-boats were right at the beach. Which means I am sure there were times when a loaded EB tank car unit train was passing an MT WB tank car unit train. So how many Proto tank cars can one person assemble???

Dave Evans

A. Premo <armprem2@...>

You are absolutely correct Mike and I am aware that private companies owned the vast majority of tank cars.My remarks should be construed as to only RR owned tank cars in terms of the % of the national freight car fleet.Armand Premo

> Elden,I am using the car totals as presented for 1947.If I have correctly
> read the information the national tank car total, as given ,was only some
> 8531 cars with which I am having some difficulty accepting.Please correct
> me if I am misreading those figures.

I'm a bit late into this thread and I may be missing something but, if I'm
reading it right, Armand's problem is that the 8531 total is for RR owned
tank cars. Union Tank Car alone had 44,831 tank cars in 1953. Shippers Car
Line had 11182 and Sinclair owned 4976. These numbers probably are similar
for 1948...

It should be noted that during WW2 solid trains of tank cars moved from the
southwest through Appalachia, rolling over billions of tons of coal which
was not very useful in oil derivative fuels used in tanks, ships and
aircraft.

Mike Brock

Globe Life Insurance
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/4d40959c10e6dccd9c3st05duc

Tim O'Connor

Mike Brock wrote

Union Tank Car alone had 44,831 tank cars in 1953 ... these numbers probably
are similar for 1948...

I don't know about that Mike, tank car fleets began growing after WWII
and have grown ever since.

UTLX in 1955 -- 48,526
UTLX in 1959 -- 56,106

Some folks think we lack for 1920's and 1930's tank cars, but ask yourself
how many good models do we have to represent cars built 1950-1960? ZERO in
plastic or resin. A couple in brass.

Tim O'Connor

mike brock <brockm@...>

Tim O'Connor says:

Union Tank Car alone had 44,831 tank cars in 1953 ... these numbers probably
are similar for 1948...

I don't know about that Mike, tank car fleets began growing after WWII
and have grown ever since.
I quoted the 1953 Orer.

Mike Brock

Tim O'Connor

Mike

You misunderstand. I only meant that your conjecture that the
fleet numbers for 1948 were "similar" to 1953 may be mistaken,
as the UTLX fleet was showing steady growth after WWII.

Tim O'Connor says: