Red Ball B&O wagon top

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@..., Jedalberg@... wrote:
I built one of those, in about that time frame, or maybe a few years
earlier. Worst part was bending all of those lead side/roof sections around a
pencil. as I recall; and then, getting them all together--even. The Sunshine
B&O round roof boxcars were a snap after that---

I made a jig to bend the soft metal sections. Using the end as a template I pencil marked the curve on a scrap piece of lumber. Got one of the mechanics in the factory where I worked it on a do all saw (I wasn't allowed to use the saw).

The rivets on those sides were gigantic - maybe 2 scale inches +.

Ed Mines

Andy Harman

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 22:39:36 -0000, EdwardM wrote

The rivets on those sides were gigantic - maybe 2 scale inches +.
I thought it was an interesting concept at the time, but we're talking zinc alloy
castings you have to bend. Gently. In a smooth curve. All of them the same. And you
only get one chance I would imagine they don't like to be bent back for a second try.

Did F&C do the wagon top hopper in some form? I have always liked the car - when I was
a kid I remember seeing them at the B&O / CG&E O scale layout at Christmas. I actually
think having this display as an annual visit helped make me a prototype modeler at a
young age. These cars were hand built in the late 1930s, when scale modeling was in its
infancy, to a level of detail that commercial products didn't aspire to for another 3
decades. I'd love to have the opportunity to just photograph all of the rolling stock.

Andy

Mark

Andy, F&C makes the wagon top B&O  N43 covered hopper kit. Looks great when finished.

Mark Morgan

[...]

Brian Ehni <behni@...>

http://www.fandckits.com/HOFreight/7050.html

Thanks!
--

Brian P. Ehni

From: Andy Harman <gsgondola@... <mailto:gsgondola%40gp30.com>>
To: STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, January 26, 2011, 6:08 PM

--- In STMFC@..., "Andy Harman" <gsgondola@...> wrote:
I thought it was an interesting concept at the time, but we're talking zinc alloy
castings you have to bend. Gently. In a smooth curve. All of them the same. And you
only get one chance I would imagine they don't like to be bent back for a second try.
The castings were easy to bend (like lead solder)and my jig made them all the same.

Ed Mines