B&O twin offsets (was Illinois Coal industry)

Tim O'Connor

Ben, according to older emails from Chris Barkan, Ed Hawkins, and
yourself, the Athearn twin is close for modeling B&O classes N-35,
N-41 and N-44 -- with the caveat that there are some differences on
the ends, and Duryea cushion underframes. (But then how likely are
we EVER to get a plastic twin offset with a Duryea underframe??)

Tim O'Connor

In which plane of existence? I challenge you to produce said RTR B&O
hoppers - outside of the Class N-17 cars offered by Intermountain, there
aren't any on the market. Kadee won't offer B&O as one of their offset
twins because the great majority of the B&O's cars had Duryea cushion
underframes and end detail differences from their model. The huge Class
N-12 and subclasses aren't available in any form.

Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

Tim O'Connor wrote:
"Ben, according to older emails from Chris Barkan, Ed Hawkins, and
yourself, the Athearn twin is close for modeling B&O classes N-35,
N-41 and N-44 -- with the caveat that there are some differences on
the ends, and Duryea cushion underframes. (But then how likely are
we EVER to get a plastic twin offset with a Duryea underframe??)"

...and if you read Steve's e-mail that I'm replying to, produce the RTR B&O
hopper car that correctly models these cars.  As you pointed out, there aren't
any.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Yes, but Ben there is correct and there is CORRECT isn't there?
I can name many model freight cars, including many from Kadee,
that are not CORRECT (with all capitals) right out of the box.

I mean, we are modelers, right?

Tim O'Connor wrote:
"Yes, but Ben there is correct and there is CORRECT isn't there?"

True - it's all in what you consider significant. To me, the Duryea cushion underframes are significant - maybe not as obvious as those on boxcars, but still a noticeable difference, and apparently enough of one for Kadee to stay away from the B&O cars even though they would sell.

"I can name many model freight cars, including many from Kadee,
that are not CORRECT (with all capitals) right out of the box."

Please do. You've brought this up several times in past posting, but have backed it only with glittering generalities. How about some specific examples to educate this list?

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Ok, every single Kadee PS-1 with a 7' door has an incorrect underframe.

Many of the PS-1 box cars have incorrect running boards. Many of their
freight cars have incorrect trucks.

Specific enough for you?

Tim O'Connor

Please do. You've brought this up several times in past posting, but have backed it only with glittering generalities. How about some specific examples to educate this list?
Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Oh and I forgot, every one of the Kadee PS-2 covered hoppers to
date with plain bearing trucks, has the wrong trucks.

Tim O'

Tim O'Connor wrote:
"Ok, every single Kadee PS-1 with a 7' door has an incorrect underframe."

Funny argument from someone who doesn't think the Duryea cushion underframe on
the B&O twins are worth of notice.

"Many of the PS-1 box cars have incorrect running boards. Many of their
freight cars have incorrect trucks.

Specific enough for you?"

No.  Which PS-1s?  Which road names?  You opened the Pandora's Box - now back up
your talk.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Do your own research, Ben.

Specific enough for you?"

No. Which PS-1s? Which road names? You opened the Pandora's Box - now back up
your talk.

Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

Tim O'Connor wrote:
"Do your own research, Ben."

..and I'll take that as you can't back your argument, or you're not willing to
share information with the rest of us.  Thanks for revealing your true colors,
Tim.

Ben Hom