B&O Wagontop

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

Bob,
Thank you for all your information. Next step; place an order with my LHS.
Gene Green

rwitt_2000

Gene Greenwrote:

After reviewing all the pertinent discussion about the new Fox Valley
B&O wagontop box car it appears that at least the first two paint
schemes are legit and were in use before 1950. Sincere thanks to all
who contributed to this conversation.

If I understand what has been posted the first scheme (below) is
possible but would likely have been rare.
B&O Oricinal Scheme (Flat Door) with no capitol dome herald on left
side above reporting marks
FVM 30301
FVM 30302
FVM 30303

This version would have been widespread once the B&O began using it.
B&O 13 Great States (Flat Door)
FVM 30304
FVM 30305
FVM 30306

Here's the link to Fox Valley's B&O wagontop box car on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150097638299797&set=a.215654069\;
796.1323&#92;07.92694309796&ref=nf
Gene,

All the proposed P&L schemes are essentially correct for the time
periods indicated.

The B&O 13 Great States (flat door) according to Chris Barkan's
designations only last from mid-1945 to mid-1946 and was used about the
time the B&O changed from using their "Freight Car Brown" to their
"Bright Freight Car Red". The FVM indicates the color "Freight Car
Brown". There is photographic evidence that cars lasted a longtime in
this scheme without being repainted. I photographed a M-26d in this
scheme in ~1962.

Sometime after the first group, the Kuhler designed capitol dome emblem
was added to the scheme by placing the emblem in the second panel from
the end high on the side and removing the initials and the line above
them. There is the classic builders photo in the MR article in 1962 of
the M-53 in this scheme. So M-53 were painted in both these schemes as
built. We don't know the exact date the Kuhler emblem was introduced. So
this scheme was used for only a few months and we do not know how many
cars were originally painted this way.

The scheme for the express version class C-16 is also correct. For the
that run passenger trains I assume the B&O express cars appeared on
other railroads.

The late B&O Billboard was introduced after the C&O took control and the
they dropped the "Linking 13 Great States" from the emblem. This scheme
is beyond the cutoff date for this group.

FVM already has plans for a second run and one assumes the other schemes
appropriate for the the era of the STMFC will be offered. FVM states
there are about ten lettering variations available to choose from.

Regards,

Bob Witt

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

After reviewing all the pertinent discussion about the new Fox Valley B&O wagontop box car it appears that at least the first two paint schemes are legit and were in use before 1950. Sincere thanks to all who contributed to this conversation.

If I understand what has been posted the first scheme (below) is possible but would likely have been rare.
B&O Oricinal Scheme (Flat Door) with no capitol dome herald on left side above reporting marks
FVM 30301
FVM 30302
FVM 30303

This version would have been widespread once the B&O began using it.
B&O 13 Great States (Flat Door)
FVM 30304
FVM 30305
FVM 30306

Here's the link to Fox Valley's B&O wagontop box car on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150097638299797&set=a.215654069796.1323\;07.92694309796&ref=nf

Gene Green

Mark

Are these made in China?