FVM to do the B&O wagontop in HO & N

Q1xaMacArthur1@...

That looks like it will be a nice model in either HO or N
if the do it right.

If you look at that prototype photo you can see the Tatum slack
adjuster there on the right side sill of car near the truck at E end.

On their artwork it appears to be on the left side of car there
near left end just below the side sill.

I hope this is just an error in the artwork. I know the B&O didn't
have those on both sides.

The early scheme they offer would be for cars as built new
in 1937-38. And then they jump to post war with the Linking
13 Great States logo. Nothing for the WWII era.

Ed Kirstatter,
B&O Modeler.

Bruce Smith

<Q1xaMacArthur1@...> 01/28/11 6:49 PM >>>
The early scheme they offer would be for cars as built new
in 1937-38. And then they jump to post war with the Linking
13 Great States logo. Nothing for the WWII era.
Ed Kirstatter,
Ed,

How likely would it be for a car built in 1937/38 to get repainted,
especially in wartime? I personally think it would be pretty rare, and
without evidence a slightly later scheme, I would run these without
hesitation on my circa 1944 layout.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn Al

Richard Hendrickson

On Jan 28, 2011, at 9:54 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:

<Q1xaMacArthur1@...> 01/28/11 6:49 PM >>>
The early scheme they offer would be for cars as built new
in 1937-38. And then they jump to post war with the Linking
13 Great States logo. Nothing for the WWII era.
Ed Kirstatter,
Ed,

How likely would it be for a car built in 1937/38 to get repainted,
especially in wartime? I personally think it would be pretty rare,
and
without evidence a slightly later scheme, I would run these without
hesitation on my circa 1944 layout.
Bruce, the problem here is that many on the evidence, I'm inclined
to say most of the M-53s were delivered with small capitol dome
heralds above the reporting marks and numbers.
I have a photo of the car which was on display at the New York
World's Fair in 1939 that had the herald. Now, that car had a light
gray portrait paint job with black lettering, so it's conceivable
that the heralds were part of the special paint job. However, I
have several shots of brand new M-53s in service, one with a
builder's date as early as 11-37, which also had the heralds. I also
have a somewhat fuzzy photo, builder's date unreadable, of a car
still in original P/L with a 1940 reweigh date which did not have the
heralds, so some of the earliest M-53s apparently did not have them.
So while it's true that few M-53s would have repainted as early as
1944, it looks like a majority of them would had the small capitol
dome heralds right from the start.

Richard Hendrickson

Bruce Smith

Richard,

Um, right, that's what I said, sort of <G>. I just checked the RP Cyc
photos and they both have the small capitol dome with no reporting marks
(no B&O) on that side, representing an "early Kuhler" style of
lettering. It sounds from your description that at least some of your
photos show reporting marks on the left side, which would make a 3rd "as
built" scheme, the "transition Kuhler". That would be nice as it would
be easier to modify the FVM scheme by just adding the herald (and
changing the number).

Regards
Bruce
Bruce Smith, Auburn, AL

Actually, looking at the RPCyc photos, they do not have reporting marks,
just the

Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...> 01/29/11 11:24 AM

On Jan 29, 2011, at 10:08 AM, Bruce Smith wrote:

Richard,

Um, right, that's what I said, sort of <G>. I just checked the RP Cyc
photos and they both have the small capitol dome with no reporting
marks
(no B&O) on that side, representing an "early Kuhler" style of
lettering. It sounds from your description that at least some of your
photos show reporting marks on the left side, which would make a
3rd "as
built" scheme, the "transition Kuhler". That would be nice as it
would
be easier to modify the FVM scheme by just adding the herald (and
changing the number).
Whoops. Sorry, all the photos of the cars when new which show them
with heralds show them without reporting marks, just the heralds
above the numbers.

Richard Hendrickson

Larry Kline

B&O had four different boxcar paint schemes from the mid 1930s and the mid 1940s. There is a Chris Barkan pdf file on the Baltimore_and_Ohio Yahoo group that shows B&O box car lettering vs time. See:

- The first scheme is dated 1920s - Late 1937. It has B&O above the number on the left and Baltimore and Ohio spelled out on the right near the top of the side.
I have an Al Armitage photo of M-53 381303 in this scheme. It is marked new 9-37.

- The second scheme is dated Late 1937 - Early 1940. It has Kuhler emblem near the top of the side and the number on the left and Baltimore and Ohio spelled out near the top of the side on the right.
There are photos of M-53 381798, marked new 11-37, and 381587, marked new 1-1938, painted in this scheme on p15 of RPCyc 9. The September 1938 Railway Mechanical Engineer has a nice article on the wagontop boxcars on pp 351-3. The same photo of 381798 is on p352.

- The third scheme is dated Late 1937 - Early 1940. It is the same as the second scheme except that it has B&O above the number. I don't have any photos of an M-53 or an M15-k in this scheme.

- The fourth scheme is dated Late 1940 - Mid 1945. It has Baltimore and Ohio spelled out and the number on the left and the Kuhler emblem near the top of the side on the right.
There are photos of M-15k 370853 and M15k 370974 in this scheme on p9 of RPCyc 9. These photos also appeared in an Albin Burroughs article on the Cannonball wagontop boxcars on p62 of the Winter 1983 issue of Model Railroading. Since the 370000-370989 series of M-15Ks were built in 1936-37, both cars have apparently been repainted and re-lettered .

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh, PA