Resin kits on eBay

Barrybennetttoo@...

There are some that want me to pay $32 to $34 for shipping to the UK. I
pass on them.

Barry Bennett
Coventry, England.

Dave Nelson

Not meaning to get too far off course here. what the heck is going on w/
freight shipment prices from eBay sellers of resin kits? There's a
Speedwitch kit on eBay right now. guy wants $13.20 to ship one small,
lightweight cardboard box with a few bits of resin inside.

If it was sent in a period REA Express BX boxcar, spotted by a steam
locomotive, at some preserved depot where I could watch it all, yeah, then
it would be reasonable. But USPS to my mailbox? Uhhh, I don't think so.

Dave Nelson

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Dave,

Sometimes you get stuff on eBay for a good price. Sometimes you get taken. In my case, I was burned twice by a vendor with whom I had a long and otherwise good relationship. That's why I logged off. At least this guy is up front about his shipping charges.

Kind regards,

Garth Groff

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Dave Nelson wrote:
Not meaning to get too far off course here. what the heck is going on w/ freight shipment prices from eBay sellers of resin kits? There's a Speedwitch kit on eBay right now. guy wants $13.20 to ship one small, lightweight cardboard box with a few bits of resin inside.
The seller is thinking like a banker or an airline. Lotsa money to be made on sideline charges that don't rise to visibility easily.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Clark Propst

Choose your mailing preference, add insurance, add delivery confirmation… Each add on raises the total.

I just mailed a large cardboard envelope with slides, CD and 8x10s. So, I tricked it out with all the options. It would've been cheaper to use their `flat rate' envelope.

Plus I gotta drive to the post office...
Clark Propst

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

Dave,
I must agree except that it would have been Rock Island Motor Freight where I grew up.

$13.20 is outrageous given the cost of the various sizes of USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes.

Gene Green

Jim Hayes

Dave, I just bought several kits from probably the same guy. $13.20 is the
premium Priority or Express Mail option. Send him an email asking for
something cheaper and he'll quote a lower price.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Dave Nelson <Lake_Muskoka@...> wrote:

Not meaning to get too far off course here. what the heck is going on w/
freight shipment prices from eBay sellers of resin kits? There's a
Speedwitch kit on eBay right now. guy wants $13.20 to ship one small,
lightweight cardboard box with a few bits of resin inside.

If it was sent in a period REA Express BX boxcar, spotted by a steam
locomotive, at some preserved depot where I could watch it all, yeah, then
it would be reasonable. But USPS to my mailbox? Uhhh, I don't think so.

Dave Nelson

Paul <buygone@...>

It's real simple, if you don't like his price for shipping then don't bid on
his item. End of discussion.

Paul C. Koehler

_____

I must agree except that it would have been Rock Island Motor Freight where
I grew up.

$13.20 is outrageous given the cost of the various sizes of USPS Priority
Mail Flat Rate boxes.

Gene Green

Benjamin Hom

Paul C. Koehler wrote:
"It's real simple, if you don't like his price for shipping then don't bid
on
his item. End of discussion."

One more thing - if you thing the postage cost is outrageously high, click
on the "Report Item" link on the right side of the listing page, and select
"Listing Policy Violations" from the first drop down menu and "Excessive
Shipping" from the second menu.

Ben Hom

SUVCWORR@...

Get use to it. The USPS changed their regulations. Cars can no longer be legally sent as 1st class mail. They are merchandise not a letter. They must be sent parcel post ( 2 - 3 months deliver time) or International Priority mail $30 - $40. Unless you want International Express mail which will be close to $50 if not more.

Rich Orr

There are some that want me to pay $32 to $34 for shipping to the UK. I

pass on them.

Barry Bennett

Coventry, England.

Individual Email | Traditional

(Yahoo! ID required)

STMFC-digest@...

STMFC-fullfeatured@...

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Dave Nelson

From: Barrybennetttoo@...
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 16:37:21 EST
To: STMFC@...

There are some that want me to pay $32 to $34 for shipping to the UK. I
pass on them.

Barry Bennett
Coventry, England.

Rod Miller

On 2/1/11 3:26 PM, SUVCWORR@... wrote:

Get use to it. The USPS changed their regulations. Cars can no longer be
legally sent as 1st class mail. They are merchandise not a letter. They must
be sent parcel post ( 2 - 3 months deliver time) or International Priority
mail $30 - $40. Unless you want International Express mail which will be
close to $50 if not more.

Rich Orr

I don't think that is right unless the change occurred more recently
than two weeks ago. On Jan 23rd I sent a 2 lb. O scale car in a 16 x 6 x 6
box to Australia by air for $22.80 postage cost. Priority was a different
service.

Rod

--
---
Rod Miller, Chairman

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Robert Bogie wrote:
For example, before the USPS came up with this shipping rate and also started massively increasing its rates, normal Airmail to Australia where I live has always taken 7 to 9 days . . . The USPS must be making a killing from this and from those people who are none the wiser.
I may be wrong about this, Robert, but it's my understanding that overseas mail rates everywhere are controlled by the RECEIVING country. Australia has long been among the most expensive countries to mail to, as we know well with numerous book sales to Australia. OTOH, Europe and much of Asia and even South Africa are cheaper (mailing from California). We have always been told by USPS people that these foreign rates are set by the countries in question, not by USPS.

Publishers of books on railroad history

william darnaby

I have sold built up resin (steam era freight) cars on ebay and quoted the priority mail flat rate. If it turns that the postage is actually cheaper without the flat rate, and sometimes it is, I will refund the difference.

Bill Darnaby

Carl

My personal experience has been that most Internet sellers (I've been doing eBay for almost 13 years) charge reasonable shipping and handling relative to their costs. While exceptions occur, these folks don't stay in business for long.

Concerning the $13.20 charge that's been cited in this thread--the current US Postal Service rate for a "medium" Priority Flat Rate box is $10.95. Fifty to $100 insurance costs $2.25. Just these two items bring actual shipping costs to the $13.20 cited. Add delivery confirmation, etc. and the cost goes up from there.

Additional seller costs such as packing materials, time spent prepping and packing, and gas (I can't get it for less than $3 a gallon) and travel time also come into play, but are frequently "written-off" as a normal business expenses.

So the guy who is trying to ship you a resin kit you bid $54 on and wanting to charge you $13.20 for shipping is not necessarily overchanging--he may only be making sure that it's packed in a suitably sized box that permits a lot of padding to be included and insuring it for what you paid for it to protect your investment.

Best Wishes--CARL

Carl G. Camann
Atlanta, Georgia

SUVCWORR@...

Robert,

According to the staff at my local post office the regulations changed January 4th. Merchandise cannot be sent 1st class mail. So unless you lie on the customs form which is a Federal offense and carries a 10 year jail sentence (again according to USPS agents), you can no longer mail model railroad items as first class mail. The 4 lbs limit now only applies to which customs form you need to complete. The short green stub or the multi-page white form. The form is also limited by value as well as weight.

Rich Orr

There are some that want me to pay $32 to $34 for shipping to the UK. I

pass on them.

Barry Bennett

Coventry, England.

Individual Email | Traditional

(Yahoo! ID required)

STMFC-digest@...

STMFC-fullfeatured@...

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Allen Cain <allencain@...>

Keep in mind that Ebay collects its fees based on the final SALES price.
S&H costs are not subject to their fees. So you often see what looks to be
a VERY good deal before you look at the S&H.

Buyers should look at the total DELIVERED cost and decide if they want to
trust someone who is cheating Ebay out of fees, as attractive as that may
sound.

Allen Cain

tmolsen@...

Tony is correct in regard to the receiving country controlling postal rates. It has been a long standing rule that if you mail a package to an overseas address with a letter in it, you must declare the letter. I was going to that once and was advised that it would add $9 to the postal rate of the package.

The clerk advised me to send the letter separately as it was cheaper. He also advised that if the package was opened by Customs in the receiving country and an undeclared letter was found, the package could be seized and not delivered or returned.

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@...

Tim O'Connor

Some sellers use 3rd parties to pack and ship their stuff, like
the "UPS Store" or others. Those places have to charge for their
packaging, labor, as well as shipping -- so you may just be looking
at a typical minimum cross country cost for that service.

I bought a book via Amazon and the shipper mailed it (their cost, not
mine) for almost $10. It was damaged, so I sent it back via media mail,
which was $3 and change! Sellers may not be the brightest bulbs.

Tim O'Connor