New Kadee car?

Rhbale@...

Kadee has scheduled a May delivery date for one of its standard 50-ton
open-top 2-bay hoppers painted in box car red and decorated for ATSF road
number 78130. The car will come with Kadee's 2-piece, self-centering trucks and
be priced at $42.95.

Richard Bale
Read Model Railroad Hobbyist magaZine, its always FREE at
_www.model-railroad-hobbyist.com

In a message dated 2/12/2011 8:42:11 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
cepropst@q.com writes:

This morning at coffee one of the locals said Kadee just announced a 'new'
two bay ATSF hopper. Anybody know anything about it?

Clark Propst

Clark Propst

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Dick Bale wrote:
Kadee has scheduled a May delivery date for one of its standard 50- ton open-top 2-bay hoppers painted in box car red and decorated for ATSF road number 78130. The car will come with Kadee's 2-piece, self- centering trucks and be priced at $42.95.
Richard Hendrickson is far more qualified than me to talk about this, but there's a photo of ATSF 78130 (class Ga-72) on page 248 of Richard's book on Santa Fe open-top cars. It's entirely possible that Richard supplied this photo to Kadee, along with consulting on the car choice itself.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 12, 2011, at 11:23 AM, Anthony Thompson wrote:

Dick Bale wrote:
Kadee has scheduled a May delivery date for one of its standard 50-
ton open-top 2-bay hoppers painted in box car red and decorated for
ATSF road number 78130. The car will come with Kadee's 2-piece, self-
centering trucks and be priced at $42.95.
Richard Hendrickson is far more qualified than me to talk
about this, but there's a photo of ATSF 78130 (class Ga-72) on page
248 of Richard's book on Santa Fe open-top cars. It's entirely
possible that Richard supplied this photo to Kadee, along with
consulting on the car choice itself.
Sam Clarke at Kadee has my book and doubtless based the model on that
photo. However, it's simply another of Kadee's fine models of the
Pullman-Standard PS-2 covered hopper, so there was no need to consult
me about it. As for Kadee's next really new freight car product, I
think I may know what it is but I ain't talking until they officially
announce it.

Richard Hendrickson

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
Sam Clarke at Kadee has my book and doubtless based the model on that photo. However, it's simply another of Kadee's fine models of the Pullman-Standard PS-2 covered hopper, so there was no need to consult me about it.
Um, far be it from me to contradict the expert, but the photo pretty clearly shows an offset twin hopper, not a PS-2.

On Feb 12, 2011, at 11:57 AM, Anthony Thompson wrote:

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
Sam Clarke at Kadee has my book and doubtless based the model on
that photo. However, it's simply another of Kadee's fine models of
the Pullman-Standard PS-2 covered hopper, so there was no need to
consult me about it.
Um, far be it from me to contradict the expert, but the photo
pretty clearly shows an offset twin hopper, not a PS-2.
Sorry, brain fade. I don't of course, have either model, since they
are too new for me,

Richard Hendrickson

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
Sorry, brain fade. I don't of course, have either model, since they are too new for me,
True. But for those who don't know, class Ga-72 hoppers were delivered to ATSF in 1948, with A-3 trucks.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Richard Townsend

Richard Hendrickson wrote: " As for Kadee's next really new freight car product, I
think I may know what it is but I ain't talking until they officially announce it."

That's OK, Richard. You can tell me.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

SUVCWORR@...

As far as I can tell it is the 2 bay offset they have been making. Product # 7039 Blt 1948 with a 1952 shop date.

Rich Orr

This morning at coffee one of the locals said Kadee just announced a 'new' two

bay ATSF hopper. Anybody know anything about it?

Clark Propst

Individual Email | Traditional

(Yahoo! ID required)

STMFC-digest@...

STMFC-fullfeatured@...

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

A. Premo <armprem2@...>

Maybe it is time for a PS gon.Armand Premo

On Feb 12, 2011, at 11:57 AM, Anthony Thompson wrote:

> Richard Hendrickson wrote:
>> Sam Clarke at Kadee has my book and doubtless based the model on
>> that photo. However, it's simply another of Kadee's fine models of
>> the Pullman-Standard PS-2 covered hopper, so there was no need to
>> consult me about it.
>
> Um, far be it from me to contradict the expert, but the photo
> pretty clearly shows an offset twin hopper, not a PS-2.

Sorry, brain fade. I don't of course, have either model, since they
are too new for me,

Richard Hendrickson

$65/Hr Job - 25 Openings
Part-Time job ($20-$65/hr). Requirements: Home Internet Access
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/4d57131c449be28c03ast03duc

Clark Propst

Thanks guys, I didn't think Kadee would be making another hopper.
Clark Propst

Jim Mischke

Ed Hawkins has lobbied Kadee for a long time to tool up for variations of their 50-ton open hopper. The ATSF hopper takes a minor prototype hardware change (Wine door locks instead of Enterprise? ... I forget now ... someone can speak up with specifics) from the basic Kadee hopper offered before. If Kadee is warming up to variations, maybe there are some more in the works. A B&O N-41/N-44 would be fun.

Manufacturers are drawn to multi-railroad prototypes like moths to light. For tooling economy, Kadee chose to produce a hopper variation with 14 road names. All smurfs except for Reading.

The future bodes well. Multi-roadname freight car product ideas not previously produced are getting scarce, and manufacturers are seriously considering one-road-name rolling stock in plastic. Unthinkable ten years ago.

cepropst@... writes:

This morning at coffee one of the locals said Kadee just announced a 'new'
two bay ATSF hopper. Anybody know anything about it?

Clark Propst

Bill Welch

Yes those 14 railroads encompass about 10% of the Standard offset twins ever built. Kadee chose to do a prototype variation that eliminated doing the thousands upon thousands of cars owned by the L&N and B&O. I won't be holding my breath they will do these.

Bill Welch

cepropst@ writes:

This morning at coffee one of the locals said Kadee just announced a 'new'
two bay ATSF hopper. Anybody know anything about it?

Clark Propst

Ed Hawkins

On Feb 14, 2011, at 1:46 PM, jim_mischke wrote:

Ed Hawkins has lobbied Kadee for a long time to tool up for
variations of their 50-ton open hopper. The ATSF hopper takes a minor
prototype hardware change (Wine door locks instead of Enterprise? ...
I forget now ... someone can speak up with specifics) from the basic
Kadee hopper offered before. If Kadee is warming up to variations,
maybe there are some more in the works. A B&O N-41/N-44 would be fun.
Bill and Jim,
To reply to Jim's message, Kadee offers Wine and Enterprise latch door
locks for their existing models. ATSF used Keystone Monoloc and Frisco
used Enterprise Type D.

Replying to Bill's message, I don't think it's valid to include B&O in
the statement as Jim has alluded to. The statement for L&N cars is
totally correct, and at present the Atlas model is the best HO-scale
model available to my knowledge to model at least a portion of the L&N
fleet of 50-ton AAR hoppers.

The B&O N-41 and N-44 hoppers that lacked Duryea underframes had sides
that match the Kadee model. What's required is tooling a pair of ends
with narrowly spaced vertical Z-sections that extend from the top
chords to the end sills. I realize this would be an expensive endeavor,
but we're talking about important B&O cars here! I guess it comes down
to tooling cost vs. sales potential.

The new ends applied to the existing Kadee model would account for
6,300 additional B&O prototype cars built from 1951 to 1960. Also by
adding these new ends to the Kadee model, I believe accurate models of
one series for LNE and P&S (and possibly CRP) could be offered. I still
haven't found a good end view of a CRP car (10001-10500, built 1944 by
Pressed Steel) to confirm how it was designed.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins