Latest Im release of their Wood-Sheathed reefer

Bill Welch

Two friends have asked me to comment to comment on the accuracy of
the paint and stenciling schemes for the latest release of
InterMountain's wood sheathed FGE/WFE reefer post war rebuild models.
To review, this kit represents cars rebuilt by FGE and WFE beginning
in 1948 from cars they originally built beginning in 1926 to a new
taller car design with an 8-inch side sill. Earlier cars built
beginning in 1922 and retro-fitted with 6-inch side sill were also
rebuilt beginning in 1922. The IM car models those rebuilds in the
FGEX 57000-58999 and WFEX 71000-71034, 72000-72054, 72055-72179,
73000-73044, 73045-73084, 73900-73999 groups.

Basically none of the models in the latest IM release is accurate for
WFE or FGE. BRE owned no such cars.

I strongly urge people not to try to model these cars without
photographs. "Bob's," Jay Williams, and "Mainline" (Mike Gruber) all
have good photos of these cars, as did my article in the late
lamented RMJ, circa 2005.

Sunshine also offers a kit of these same rebuilds with a much
superior roof. The advantage of this kit is that it easier to cut the
side sill off and replace it with plastic strip to recreate the cars
w/the 6-inch side sills. Visually these are more interesting cars
with 8-inch plates applied in various places.

Although dated, information for the wood-sheathed on the special
issues of PRR, B&O, and ACL/SAL online modeling magazines is still
accurate and valid. I am working w/Ben Hom to update with Steel Cars
and make corrections to the earlier document. None of the mistakes
would effect modeling.

I am going to call Martin today and bug him about doing decals to
create one of the groups of Double Deck cars.

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727.470.9930
fgexbill@...

pennsylvania1954

Bill's article is in the Feb 2005 issue of RMJ. It is available online, starting here:

http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/70/5074/february-2005-page-40

Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

--- In STMFC@..., Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

[...]

1

Bill Welch

Thanks Steve!

WFEX 65359 represents one of the rebuilds outside the 70000 number series, adding to the confusion. I have built this car using a Sunshine kit. Note the drop grab above the ladder and all of the busy stuff along the side sill. Very cool IMO.

FGE 55572 is one of my all-time favorite photos and I plan to build this car as well. Along with WFEX 72077, these 3 cars feature the 6-inch side sill.

Under the pretense of shameless self-promotion I will be doing my 2-Part presentation "The 40-Foot Freight Refrigerator Cars of the FGE/WFE/BRE Fleet: 1920-1955" on Friday & Saturday at the Savannah RPM meet March 25-26.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "Steve Hoxie" <stevehprr@...> wrote:

[...]

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

To change the subject slightly, Bill, what WFEX model DO you recommend?

Publishers of books on railroad history

Bill Welch

I think all of the Sunshine WFE kits are well done. Their truss rod cars were that companies signature car until the post WWII era. In terms of numbers the 12' 1" followed by the 12' 7" height cars were the most dominant after the TR cars.

Bill Welch

To change the subject slightly, Bill, what WFEX model DO you
recommend?

Publishers of books on railroad history

Greg Martin

Dr. FGE writes in part:

"Thanks Steve!

WFEX 65359 represents one of the rebuilds outside the 70000 number series,
adding to the confusion. I have built this car using a Sunshine kit. Note
the drop grab above the ladder and all of the busy stuff along the side
sill. Very cool IMO."

Bill and all,

These were upgrades to this car were along the timeline of improvements
made to these cars and were also found on the National Car Company cars and
an example was on display in the poster sized photos at Cocoa Brach. As a
student of Bill's I have learned what, where, and when to look for the subtle
differences. Represented was the Needham Packing/ Sioux City Dressed Beef
car in both photo and model form. This article is very inspiring.

Greg Martin

Greg Martin

Bill,

Aren't the Sunshine Kits too short?

Greg Martin

Greg Martin

Bill,

Not in height but in length. It seems that Bruce Smith uncovered this in
our building of FGE cars on the PRR Pro list some time back.

Greg Martin

Bill replies:

I am not sure what you are referring to here Greg. Do you mean in length or
height? I have built all of these kits in multiples and they appear
dimensionally correct to me. Can you say more.

Bill Welch

--- In _STMFC@... (mailto:STMFC@...) ,
tgregmrtn@... wrote:

Bill,

Aren't the Sunshine Kits too short?

Greg Martin

Bill Welch

I am not sure what you are referring to here Greg. Do you you mean in length or height? I have built all of these kits in multiples and they appear dimensionally correct to me. Can you say more.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., tgregmrtn@... wrote:

Bill,

Aren't the Sunshine Kits too short?

Greg Martin

Bruce Smith

Bill,

The bodies on the 1922 and 1928 Sunshine kits are a foot too short in length. And of course while the IM body is the correct length it has an intermediate height to the eaves of 12'9" (not the 12'11" for the post war rebuild or the 12'7" for the 1928 design as built). That's actually good news in a way as it makes it easier to shorten the body for an accurate 1928 car, if you alter or ignore some other detail issues... or as Greg has noted previously, you simply can consider it loaded to capacity, compressing the springs by 2" ;^)

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

--- In STMFC@..., tgregmrtn@... wrote:

Bill,

Aren't the Sunshine Kits too short?

Greg Martin

Bill Welch

I was not aware these bodies were a foot too short. I have to admit I am willing to live with this as I think the look of the models captures the look of the cars.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., tgregmrtn@ wrote:

Bill,

Aren't the Sunshine Kits too short?

Greg Martin

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

Bill,
You wrote, and I quote, "Two friends have asked me to comment to comment on the accuracy of the paint and stenciling schemes for the latest release of InterMountain's wood sheathed FGE/WFE reefer post war rebuild models."

You, and others, went on to discuss the InterMountain car itself and its fidelity or lack of fidelity to the prototype but, although I believe I followed the discussion quite closely, the accuracy of the paint and stenciling schemes except for a comment about an incorrect car number.

Will you please comment on the accuracy of the paint and stenciling schemes? Or are the cars simply too bogus to permit a comment?

Gene Green

Bill Welch

Dear Gene:

The paint schemes appear to be correct, although I could not tell in the cars with the later Gothic lettering have silver roofs.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "Gene" <bierglaeser@...> wrote:

Bill,
You wrote, and I quote, "Two friends have asked me to comment to comment on the accuracy of the paint and stenciling schemes for the latest release of InterMountain's wood sheathed FGE/WFE reefer post war rebuild models."

You, and others, went on to discuss the InterMountain car itself and its fidelity or lack of fidelity to the prototype but, although I believe I followed the discussion quite closely, the accuracy of the paint and stenciling schemes except for a comment about an incorrect car number.

Will you please comment on the accuracy of the paint and stenciling schemes? Or are the cars simply too bogus to permit a comment?

Gene Green

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

Thank you Dill.
Gene Green

--- In STMFC@..., "lnbill" <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Dear Gene:

The paint schemes appear to be correct, although I could not tell in the cars with the later Gothic lettering have silver roofs.

Bill Welch

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

Bill,
I can't believe I misspelled your name. Please forgive.
Gene Green