triple hopper question

Frank Valoczy <destron@...>

Hi,

Wondering if anyone might be able to help me a bit... I'm trying to
determine what all could be modelled with a 3-bay offset-side hopper
visually like the NYC 904000-904999 or PM 15000-15249 series.

I already know of a number of such, but went through the ORER looking for
other possible matches, and am curious if anyone can confirm or deny
these. I'm looking for cars that are visually similar - if it looks right
at first glance, that's good enough - right number of panels, etc; minor
dimensional difference (within a foot) aren't important - I don't have the
variety of available models you HO guys do, to let me be quite that picky!

So the possibles I found...

CIL 4501-4601
CN 108600-109099, 109105-109954, 119000-119499
CP 360000-360724
DT&I 1600-1649
Louisiana & Arkansas 4400-4799
M&StL 66001-66499
MP 61000-61999, 62000-62759
Missouri-Illinois 6350-6449
NKP/W&LE 78000-80999
Ontario Northland 140300-140324
P&LE 3000-3099
Southern 70000-70299

Thanks in advance!

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

Frank,
I can confirm the M&StL 3-bay hoppers for you. Stewart (now Bowser) did them correctly lettered for the M&StL. I provided info to Stewart and have some of them. They are nice models with sufficient accuracy to suit me.

Accurail also has or will have one for the M&StL although I have yet to see one.

All M&StL open hoppers were always black and only black until the mid-1950s when some bright red ones were purchased from ACF but these had straight sides. They are not the ones to which you referred.

Gene Green

Todd Horton

I'm not sure how well they match but the C of G had 3 bay offset side cars. They
were numbered 700-899, built in 1934 by PS . Todd Horton

________________________________
[...]

al_brown03

The NYC and PM series you mention both have the "sloped-stepped" end-side-sheet taper. Is this an essential feature? To me in HO it would be; but I've forgotten what scale you're in.

-- apologies for any obscurity --

-- Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Valoczy" <destron@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Al,

I'm in TT scale; if I were in HO, then my tolerance with regards to
details like that would be rather more strict. The model-to-come will be
developed using drawings and photos of PM cars, so they should be correct
for that and NYC, but overall, no, that's not an essential feature. Maybe
in ten years' time, though... technologies such as 3D printing have been a
great gift to TT, and I can only see the situation improving.

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC

al_brown03 wrote:

[...]

!DSPAM:1291,4d61b07c308681830113710!

Frank Valoczy <destron@...>

Todd Horton wrote:
I'm not sure how well they match but the C of G had 3 bay offset side
cars. They
were numbered 700-899, built in 1934 by PS . Todd Horton
Hi Todd,

I had that CG series listed in a second group of possibilities, in which I
listed cars that had a greater divergence in certain dimensions (including
capacity) than those in the first group.

The second group listed:

CG 700-899
Carbon County 7300-7349
B&O 621000-624999
LV 41000-41699
Roberval-Saguenay 932-961
Minnesota Western 100-129
CGW 69000-69099
CNW 65101-68103 odds
CMO 49701-49999 odds
IC 81500-81744
C&IW 900-934
C&IM 1000-1098, 11000-11049

Some of these though have dimensional info which match cars that I do have
photos of, that are quite different in appearance from the NYC and PM
cars.

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC

Todd Horton

Frank, I have photos of these cars if you need one for reference. Todd Horton

________________________________
[...]

Something that would account for dimensional differences in this
CNW series is you've got 3 bay, and 4 bay cars, some with ribbed
sides, some with rebuild panel (blister) sides, and some offsets.

I think with 3 bay hoppers, esp offset hoppers, aren't we headed
straight down the same road we went down with the 2 bay offsets?
Lots and lots of variations?

Tim O'Connor

--------------------------------

CNW 65101-68103 odds

Some of these though have dimensional info which match cars that I do have
photos of, that are quite different in appearance from the NYC and PM
cars.

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC

A. Premo <armprem2@...>

What no quad hoppers? Armand Premo

Something that would account for dimensional differences in this
CNW series is you've got 3 bay, and 4 bay cars, some with ribbed
sides, some with rebuild panel (blister) sides, and some offsets.

I think with 3 bay hoppers, esp offset hoppers, aren't we headed
straight down the same road we went down with the 2 bay offsets?
Lots and lots of variations?

Tim O'Connor

>CNW 65101-68103 odds
>
>Some of these though have dimensional info which match cars that I do have
>photos of, that are quite different in appearance from the NYC and PM
>cars.
>
>Frank Valoczy
>Vancouver, BC

$65/Hr Job - 25 Openings
Part-Time job ($20-$65/hr). Requirements: Home Internet Access
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/4d622da7a854042aa9fst05vuc