From: richtownsend@...
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Mon, Feb 21, 2011 8:11 am
Subject: [STMFC] No joy

Bill,

I had no luck at the library with Railway Age. I searched the indexes for "refrigerator," "car, freight, refrigerator," "car, refrigerator," and "fruit growers" and found nothing referring to the experimental cars you are interested in. In fact, I didn't find a single mention of FGE from 1909 through the 1920's. I was at the University of Oregon library, and they don't have Railway Mechanical Engineer, but that might be a likely place for what you are looking for.

Would you be interested in a 1917 RA article on B&O reefers? They ended up in FGE, didn't they? It has no overall plans, but there are several detail drawings and cross-sections.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

=

kenneth chapin <kenneth_chapin@...>

Hi;
 I would like to see this on the B & O cars,thanks ken chapin

I had no luck at the library with Railway Age. I searched the indexes for "refrigerator," "car, freight, refrigerator," "car, refrigerator," and "fruit growers" and found nothing referring to the experimental cars you are interested in. In fact, I didn't find a single mention of FGE from 1909 through the 1920's. I was at the University of Oregon library, and they don't have Railway Mechanical Engineer, but that might be a likely place for what you are looking for.

Would you be interested in a 1917 RA article on B&O reefers? They ended up in FGE, didn't they? It has no overall plans, but there are several detail drawings and cross-sections.

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, Oregon

=

rwitt_2000

Rich Townsend accidently wrote:

Would you be interested in a 1917 RA article on B&O reefers? They
ended up in FGE, didn't they? It has no overall plans, but there are
several detail drawings and cross-sections.
Kenneth Chapin replied:

I would like to see this on the B & O cars.
Ken,

I have a copy of that article describing the construction of the B&O
class R-7 refrigerator cars. Getting a clean copy can be difficult
especially when the journal volumes become very thick. As Rich stated
there are only detail drawings and cross-sections of the ice bunkers.
This article unfortunately did not include a general arrangement
drawing.

To answer Rich's question, yes the B&O sold some of their class R-7 to
the FGE.

Maybe this email exchange and accidental post should become a private
one between Bill and Rich.

Bob Witt

Charlie Vlk

The Railway Age Gazette Mechanical Vol 91 Jan Dec 1917 is available on GoogleBooks as a free download. The B&O refrigerator car article is on page 685.
Charlie Vlk