steel end express car

Douglas Harding

A friend asked me: Do you know when the transition from wood end express
cars to steel end express car took place? Also, how long were wood end cars
allowed for interchange after the transition to steel end?

He is wondering if he can run the wood express reefers on his layout. I
don't know the answer, but I know discussion of head end cars is permitted
on the STMFC list.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Doug Harding wrote:
A friend asked me: Do you know when the transition from wood end express cars to steel end express car took place? Also, how long were wood end cars allowed for interchange after the transition to steel end?
He is wondering if he can run the wood express reefers on his layout. I don't know the answer, but I know discussion of head end cars is permitted on the STMFC list.
As long as PFE owned express reefers, some of them had wood ends. There was no "transition" to steel ends except for new construction. I think your friend has zero problem running wood express cars, at least until 1960. You didn't state his era, and that could make a difference, but for the era of this list, I'd say no problem.

Publishers of books on railroad history