From: cobrapsl@...
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Sun, Mar 6, 2011 1:28 am
Subject: [STMFC] EJ&E #7300-7799 USRA Re-Builds

I am finishing one of the early Sunshine kits of a EJ&E USRA re-build, series #7300-7799, and as usual the kit is fairly crude with minmal instructions and prototype info. I have found a small photo in the May 1990 issue of Model Railroading that will answer most of my questions, however, it is a typical magazine image and hard to read. So does anyone have copy of this photo that they can share with a scan. The car in the photo is road number #7566. It is a 3/4 view shot from left side of the B end and is identified as a R.C. Feld photo, John C. La Rue Collection.
The only question this photo will not answer is what type running board these cars were equiped with when re-built in the late 30's. I suspect wood based on that date, but Sunshine put a metal (resin) running board in the kit.

Any and all help is appreicated!
Paul Lyons

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 5, 2011, at 10:28 PM, cobrapsl@... wrote:

I am finishing one of the early Sunshine kits of a EJ&E USRA re-
build, series #7300-7799, and as usual the kit is fairly crude with
minmal instructions and prototype info. I have found a small photo
in the May 1990 issue of Model Railroading that will answer most of
my questions, however, it is a typical magazine image and hard to
read. So does anyone have copy of this photo that they can share
with a scan. The car in the photo is road number #7566. It is a 3/4
view shot from left side of the B end and is identified as a R.C.
Feld photo, John C. La Rue Collection.
The only question this photo will not answer is what type running
board these cars were equiped with when re-built in the late 30's.
I suspect wood based on that date, but Sunshine put a metal (resin)
running board in the kit.
Paul, I have numerous photos of these cars, but most of them aren't
definitive where the running boards are concerned. However, I have a
couple of photos from the 1940s which clearly show wood running
boards - I'll send you a scan off-list. On the other hand, a Mark
Vaughan photo of a car out of service in 4/87 with peeling paint
(four different heralds visible) show it with Morton "Open Grip"
steel running boards. I'm pretty sure the Morton running boards
replaced the original wood running boards years after the date you
model.

Richard Hendrickson

O Fenton Wells

Gentlemen, When did the EJ&E go to the green paint with the orange map? Was
it 1950 or later?
Thanks, in advance for your answer.
Fenton

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Richard Hendrickson <
rhendrickson@...> wrote:

[...]

Fenton Wells
3047 Creek Run
Sanford NC 27332
919-499-5545
@srrfan

Jeff Sankus

Fenton;
I believe, the EJ&E went to the green and orange scheme around the mid
thirties.
Jeff

--
Fenton Wells
3047 Creek Run

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Jeff, so I would be OK with the green car and orange map in 1951.

On Mar 6, 2011, at 1:36 PM, O Fenton Wells wrote:

Thanks Jeff, so I would be OK with the green car and orange map in
1951.

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Jeff Sankus <uvrail@...> wrote:

Fenton;
I believe, the EJ&E went to the green and orange scheme around the
mid
thirties.
Jeff
Fenton, I don't know where Jeff got the idea that EJ&E cars were
painted green with yellow-orange lettering in the 1930s, but it's not
supported by any evidence I've seen. The 1930s-'40s EJ&E P/L scheme
was mineral red with a rectangular "Outer Belt Line" herald above the
dimensional data, all lettering in white and the herald background in
black. Green/orange began with the elaborate P/L scheme which had
"around Not Through Chicago" maps above the dimensional data and
"EJ&E Ry Chicago Outer Belt" heralds above the reporting marks and
numbers. The earliest photo I have showing that P/L scheme dates
from 1950.

Richard Hendrickson

O Fenton Wells

Thanks so much, I appreciate your'e reply.
Fenton

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Richard Hendrickson <
rhendrickson@...> wrote:

[...]

All;
My mistake...I misread my information.
Jeff

rhendrickson@...> wrote:

[...]

I want to thank all the folks that sent me photos of the above referenced cars. It has allowed me to finish the model in great accurate detail, except for one remaining thing---were the running boards metal or wood. John LaRue provided me with a 8x10 of the photo of #7566 in the May 1990 issue of Model railroading and Steve Hoxie sent me a photo of #7494 taken from about the same 3/4 view. Both photos seem to indicate the running board and lateral walks are metal by how thin they are at the edges. When I magnify the LaRue photo there is clearly light passing through the running board, but the photo is not sharp enough to discern any shape. So, one last request--does anybody have a EJ&E diagram book that might solve this mystery?
I really do not want to guess the running board type unless I have to finish the model.
Thanks again!
Paul Lyons

[...]

[

Messages in this topic (2)