Overhead Circa 1928 Photo of Reefers at B&O Camden Warehouse

bdg1210 <Bruce_Griffin@...>

Group,

The Baltimore Museum of Industry just posted a link to these photos on Facebook and I thought they might be of interest to the group. I have not searched their collection for more.

http://baltmusindustry.pastperfect-online.com/35171cgi/mweb.exe?request=record;id=2FECE59E-8B06-4425-BB3C-865356583638;type=102

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2FdIBKUK&h=ad0e9

Best Regards,
Bruce Griffin
Summerfield, NC

Bill Welch

Knowing Baltimore was a key port for unloading bananas I used that that fruit to do a search and 7 images came up. Will try other words later. The searches and images seem to take a while to come up.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "bdg1210" <Bruce_Griffin@...> wrote:

Group,

The Baltimore Museum of Industry just posted a link to these photos on Facebook and I thought they might be of interest to the group. I have not searched their collection for more.

http://baltmusindustry.pastperfect-online.com/35171cgi/mweb.exe?request=record;id=2FECE59E-8B06-4425-BB3C-865356583638;type=102

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2FdIBKUK&h=ad0e9

Best Regards,
Bruce Griffin
Summerfield, NC

Ricky Gilmore <x_white.bear_x@...>

This is a great collection of photographs from the Baltimore Museum of Industry I especially enjoy this one of a Fruit Growers Express reefer. I have to find a banana decal now! Does anyone have any idea where to get one?
http://baltmusindustry.pastperfect-online.com/35171images/021/BGE_29_B.JPG

Ricky Gilmore
Tuscaloosa, AL

Bill Welch

This scheme was applied to 100 cars (I think, documentation is thin) in 1958. I do not know a source for this distinctive logo.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., Ricky Gilmore <x_white.bear_x@...> wrote:

This is a great collection of photographs from the Baltimore Museum of Industry I especially enjoy this one of a Fruit Growers Express reefer. I have to find a banana decal now! Does anyone have any idea where to get one?
http://baltmusindustry.pastperfect-online.com/35171images/021/BGE_29_B.JPG

Ricky Gilmore
Tuscaloosa, AL

bdg1210 <Bruce_Griffin@...>

The B&O RRHS has several more photographs and was looking to produce models of this car. My bad memory remembers the problem being no model for the prototype. Bill, is there one?

Regards,
Bruce D. Griffin
Summer field, NC

--- In STMFC@..., "lnbill" <fgexbill@...> wrote:

This scheme was applied to 100 cars (I think, documentation is thin) in 1958. I do not know a source for this distinctive logo.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., Ricky Gilmore <x_white.bear_x@> wrote:

This is a great collection of photographs from the Baltimore Museum of Industry I especially enjoy this one of a Fruit Growers Express reefer. I have to find a banana decal now! Does anyone have any idea where to get one?
http://baltmusindustry.pastperfect-online.com/35171images/021/BGE_29_B.JPG

Ricky Gilmore
Tuscaloosa, AL

bdg1210 <Bruce_Griffin@...>

For the tank car guys, there is also a photo in the BGE collection of a tank car being unloaded from below with a worker on the top with a long pole, supporting the need for someone to open the valve from above the top. If think it is a UTLX tank car stenciled "inedible".
Regards,
Bruce D. Griffin
Summer field, NC

--- In STMFC@..., "bdg1210" <Bruce_Griffin@...> wrote:

Group,

The Baltimore Museum of Industry just posted a link to these photos on Facebook and I thought they might be of interest to the group. I have not searched their collection for more.

http://baltmusindustry.pastperfect-online.com/35171cgi/mweb.exe?request=record;id=2FECE59E-8B06-4425-BB3C-865356583638;type=102

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2FdIBKUK&h=ad0e9

Best Regards,
Bruce Griffin
Summerfield, NC

gd3006

Clover House dry transfer set 8972-05 includes the
banana emblem.
Graham Dean

--- In STMFC@..., Ricky Gilmore <x_white.bear_x@> wrote:

This is a great collection of photographs from the Baltimore Museum of Industry I especially enjoy this one of a Fruit Growers Express reefer. I have to find a banana decal now! Does anyone have any idea where to get one?

Ricky Gilmore
Tuscaloosa, AL

Bill Welch

There is not really a good model. These were welded cars.

Bill

[...]

mopacfirst

That guy is 'poling' the car, or 'gauging' it, to check the level of liquid. He would have opened the valve some time previously, via the handwheel. See Kaminski's tank car book, p. 220,221, 223 etc.

A likely explanation is that the unloading procedure called for the second man to watch the liquid level during unloading to see that it was actually going down, and it gave the crew the opportunity to figure out when they'd be done. He's undoubtedly supposed to close the valve when the car is empty, before the man on the ground disconnects the hose.

Ron Merrick

[...]

rwitt_2000

To my eyes the owner and road number are GATX 55096.
http://tinyurl.com/4tsa6eh

Catalog NumberBGE.314.OOObject NamePrint, PhotographicDescriptionView of
workers unloading a tanker car on the railroad siding next to the Lever
Brothers plant.DateJune, 1948Print size8" x 10"
Bob Witt

soolinehistory <destorzek@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "lnbill" <fgexbill@...> wrote:

There is not really a good model. These were welded cars.

Bill
I just took a look at the pix Bill sent me a while back. The welded cars have all the accouterments of the soon to be released Accurail steel reefer; Same ends, same roof, but different sides. I got to wondering if one could shave the rivets off the Accurail sides, but two problems; the welded cars used shorter doors, and they used the older style cast hinges. Those hinges are made, however, by Grandt Line, as are the latch bars. Since the Accurail kit is going to have separate sides applied to full sub-sides that form the core of the body, it looks like the easiest way to model these cars is to make new welded sides by scribing the weld lines on .040" styrene sheet, then adding the Grandt latch bars, hinges, and a few Archer rivets on the door.

Dennis

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 11, 2011, at 8:40 AM, rwitt_2000 wrote:

To my eyes the owner and road number are GATX 55096.
http://tinyurl.com/4tsa6eh
That's what I get as well, Bob, and the car was built in the late
1920s by the Pennsylvania Tank Car Co. Distinctive features were the
safeties at either end of the dome on the center line, the dome
platforms hung on brackets from the sides of the dome, and the big
box section body bolsters with push pole pockets one each side.

Richard Hendrickson

Bill Welch

Alternatively, the folks at Accurail could tool up a welded side to produce a third steel sheathed reefer version. The little "Banana" logo would appeal to many and would provide enough sales to cover the cost of tooling considering the other major components are already available. This alternative would increase the happiness of many.

Bill Welch