Topics

Tichy Rebuilt boxcar question

Charlie Duckworth

I was going through some boxes this evening looking for some depot parts and came across a Tichy rebuilt boxcar I'd finished probably 15 years ago and completely forgot about it. It's decaled with the Tichy PMcK&Y set so I am planning on removing the decals and relettering since the cars were relettered by my time frame and it's pretty poor artwork.

Last year I built this same model using Jerry Glow's (excellant) decal set for the P&LE and it turned out great but I don't want to do another P&LE car (just how many P&LE cars would show up on a MP branch line?) if there's another road name I can use I'd like some suggestions. I model June 1954 so did the cars ever get lettered for the NYC or do I need to stay with the P&LE?

I could also carve off the top rib on the ends if that broadens the road name choices.

Thank's for any suggestions.
Charlie Duckworth

Benjamin Hom

Charlie Duckworth asked:
"I was going through some boxes this evening looking for some depot parts and came across a Tichy rebuilt boxcar I'd finished probably 15 years ago and completely forgot about it. It's decaled with the Tichy PMcK&Y set so I am planning on removing the decals and relettering since the cars were relettered by my time frame and it's pretty poor artwork.

Last year I built this same model using Jerry Glow's (excellant) decal set for the P&LE and it turned out great but I don't want to do another P&LE car (just how many P&LE cars would show up on a MP branch line?) if there's another road name I can use I'd like some suggestions. I model June 1954 so did the cars ever get lettered for the NYC or do I need to stay with the P&LE?"

Unfortunately, these cars were never relettered for NYC, and other NYC rebuilt boxcars differed in height and ends. However, Sunshine did mini-kits (Jim Hayes Number "MK-15B", consisting of ends, center sill, decals) converting this model to Wabash 82000-82513 boxcars equipped with auto racks. This conversion could also be the basis for similar Wabash DS boxcar rebuilds - see my rebuilt boxcar spreadsheet in the files section for more Wabash possibilities.

Ben Hom

jerryglow2

If it's unbuilt it makes a good basis for a Frisco 8 panel USRA rebuild from a DS car. I just did decals for it in 3 versions (with and w/o "Lines" in a small herald and large herald with Frisco Fast Freight on the right. The latter started being applied approx late '52 with possibility of the others esp w/o "Lines" in '54.

The ACL set is also good for the same bash.

Jerry Glow
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/decals.html

--- In STMFC@..., "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@...> wrote:
Unfortunately, these cars were never relettered for NYC, and other NYC rebuilt boxcars differed in height and ends. However, Sunshine did mini-kits (Jim Hayes Number "MK-15B", consisting of ends, center sill, decals) converting this model to Wabash 82000-82513 boxcars equipped with auto racks. This conversion could also be the basis for similar Wabash DS boxcar rebuilds - see my rebuilt boxcar spreadsheet in the files section for more Wabash possibilities.

Ben Hom

Charlie Duckworth

Jerry - if I can sand off the Tichy kit's roof without too much damage I'll use the new Frisco decals you just sent me. I'd rather have a Frisco car than another P&LE on the layout.

Charlie Duckworth

--- In STMFC@..., jerryglow@... wrote:

[...]

WILLIAM PARDIE

Charlie:

You might refer to Ted Culotta's article on the P&LE cars in RMC
several years ago.
He replaced the roof on the car that he did.

Sorry I do not have the date of the magazine handy. It was in the
Essentail Freightr
Car Series.

Good Luck:

Bill Pardie

--- In STMFC@..., jerryglow@... wrote:

[...]

pullmanboss <tcmadden@...>

Bill Pardie:

You might refer to Ted Culotta's article on the P&LE cars in RMC
several years ago. He replaced the roof on the car that he did.

Sorry I do not have the date of the magazine handy. It was in the
Essential Freight Car Series.
July 2004, EFC #14 on USRA 50-ton SS boxcars. Ted replaced the Tichy roof with one of the ubiquitous IMWX/RC rectangular panel roofs but it was still a P&LE car. The ACL and SL-SF variations Charlie is considering take a different roof, but it _is_ an excellent article.

Tom Madden

jerryglow2

I cut it off and replaced it with sheet and strip stock for mine.

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@..., jerryglow@ wrote:

[...]

Craig Zeni

Jerry, didn't you have photos of that car? I have a couple of the Tichy cars and think this would make a great project for one of them...

--
Craig Zeni
Cary NC

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

______________________________________________________________________ __
4e. Re: Tichy Rebuilt boxcar question
Posted by: "jerryglow@..." jerryglow@... jerryglow2
Date: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:30 pm ((PDT))

It's on my modeling page: http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/modeling/SLSF_rebuilt.html Charlie recently asked me to do the decals so they're availble now along with a set for a similar ACL rebuild.

--- In STMFC@..., Craig Zeni <clzeni@...> wrote:

Jerry, didn't you have photos of that car? I have a couple of the
Tichy cars and think this would make a great project for one of them...

--
Craig Zeni
Cary NC

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

__