Sergent couplers

Clark Propst

Had the opportunity to operate for a bit on a layout using Sergent couplers last Saturday.

The look fantastic! They uncouple much easier than Kadees, but making sure they were in alignment when coupling was frustrating at best for a first time user.

We (traveling car load) decided that if we were building a small layout or detailed models for display they would be worth considering.
Clark Propst

William Keene <wakeene@...>

Clark,

I have been using Sergent couplers for several years and am quite pleased with them. Operations so far have only been on a 2 x 8 foot switching layout. But the current much larger layout -- in the design and engineering phase -- will see their use also. I should add that all of my trackwork is within 24-inches of the front of the layout. There is no remote uncoupling required.

I have found that I switch a good deal slower with cars equipped with Sergent couplers than with Kadee couplers. To me, this reduced speed seems more prototypical. Did you find this to be the case also?

Happy Operations,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Mar 21, 2011, at 9:39 AM, cepropst@q.com wrote:

Had the opportunity to operate for a bit on a layout using Sergent couplers last Saturday.

The look fantastic! They uncouple much easier than Kadees, but making sure they were in alignment when coupling was frustrating at best for a first time user.

We (traveling car load) decided that if we were building a small layout or detailed models for display they would be worth considering.
Clark Propst

Clark Propst

Yes, If you want to slow things down those couplers will do the job.
Clark

On Mar 21, 2011, at 9:39 AM, cepropst@... wrote:

Had the opportunity to operate for a bit on a layout using Sergent couplers last Saturday.

The look fantastic! They uncouple much easier than Kadees, but making sure they were in alignment when coupling was frustrating at best for a first time user.

We (traveling car load) decided that if we were building a small layout or detailed models for display they would be worth considering.
Clark Propst

John Degnan <Scaler164@...>

Carl (and all),

Sergent couplers CAN be made to center like Kadee couplers if the modeler prefers. I have only built a working prototype in S scale, but it should be just as easy to build in HO. Have a look at the following links : (5 images and 1 video)

http://www.trainweb.org/seaboard/SergentCenteringSpring01.jpg

http://www.trainweb.org/seaboard/SergentCenteringSpring02.jpg

http://www.trainweb.org/seaboard/SergentCenteringSpring03.jpg

http://www.trainweb.org/seaboard/SergentCenteringSpring04.jpg

http://www.trainweb.org/seaboard/SergentCenteringSpring05.jpg

http://www.trainweb.org/seaboard/SergentCentering.AVI

Using a standard Kadee #802/808 gear box as a test platform, I cut to length and width, then notched a "V" shape into a short length of white styrene to fit inside the Kadee gear box behind the shank of the Sergent Engineering coupler. I then cut a phosphor-bronze strip to a length of just shy of the inner width as the Kadee gear box, and inserted it between the rear of the Sergent coupler's shank and the shaped styrene block. The idea was that the prosphor-brinze strip would press against the flat rear surface of the coupler and force it to center.

It worked (works) like a CHAMP!

Howzat?

John
Scaler164@...
The Seaboard Air Line Information Collective and Photo Archive
www.trainweb.org/seaboard

Had the opportunity to operate for a bit on a layout using Sergent couplers last Saturday.

The look fantastic! They uncouple much easier than Kadees, but making sure they were in alignment when coupling was frustrating at best for a first time user.

We (traveling car load) decided that if we were building a small layout or detailed models for display they would be worth considering.
Clark Propst

Tim O'Connor

Very clever John, it looks like an elegant solution. You'd better
patent that in a hurry before someone else does! :-)

Tim O'Connor

It worked (works) like a CHAMP!
Howzat?

John
Scaler164@...
The Seaboard Air Line Information Collective and Photo Archive
www.trainweb.org/seaboard

John Degnan <Scaler164@...>

Thanks Tim. I would patent it... but I actually got this idea from the early P2K E-units; the pivoting bracket that the couplers mount to on both ends of them is centered in this same way. In fact, the (slightly modified) phosphor-bronze strip I used in my gearbox actually came out of a P2K E-unit.

<G>

John Degnan
Scaler164@...