F30a flat car, on a flat car (was Boxcar sides loaded for shipping ) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Tim;

Good call. They actually shipped them in two's, on top of one another, the
bottom being upright and the top one being upside down. There was a nice
wooden cradle under the bottom one. PRR tacked on the stirrups and brake
eqpt once they got to Altoona.

They got later orders, of F41B (1959), already painted, and stacked the same
way, but on top of F30A's, with idlers between loaded cars, since the F41B
was longer.

The photo I have shows eight frames in one train.

After the initial orders of F30A in 1934, the F30D was done in 1951, so one
could do that car from an F30A, but for 1951 shipment. The little
differences are the lack of the stake pocket "lip", and a simpler brake
arrangement.

BTW, the Bowser kit will just not look right upside down, but would sure be a
cheaper alternative.

Funny no one asks these questions before they come out with a kit.

Cool all the same. I hope Martin reissues the F30A. That was a beautiful
kit.

Elden