From: Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@yahoo.ca>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sun, Apr 3, 2011 12:59 am
Subject: [STMFC] Baltimore and Ohio hopper cars...

I've been told on this list that B&O hopper cars had Duryea draft gear. What
online photos I can find confirm this, except for this car painted up as B&O
829839 on the Conway Scenic at North Conway, NH--

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2176474

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2190867

This car appears to have conventional draft gear.

Was this a B&O car, or is it a 12" = 1' reproduction using another road's car?

Steve Lucas.

Benjamin Hom

Steve Lucas asked:
"I've been told on this list that B&O hopper cars had Duryea draft gear. What
online photos I can find confirm this, except for this car painted up as B&O
829839 on the Conway Scenic at North Conway, NH--

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2176474

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2190867

This car appears to have conventional draft gear.

Was this a B&O car, or is it a 12" = 1' reproduction using another road's car?"

Later classes of B&O offset hopper cars (N-41, N-44 twins; W-8, W-9 triples) did
not have Duryea cushion underframes.  However, in the case of this car, the car
number appears to be bogus as it doesn't fall inside any pre-1964 B&O hopper
number series.  The closest number series is 829300-829783, Class N-41a, 484
ex-LNE cars acquired in 1963.

As Rich Orr suggested, see my article in the May/June 2009 issue of The B&O
Modeler for more information on the B&O hopper fleet.

Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

I wrote:
"As Rich Orr suggested, see my article in the May/June 2009 issue of The B&O
Modeler for more information on the B&O hopper fleet."

Trying to multitask too much at 0600 - correct issue is May/June *2006*.
Apologies for any confusion.

Ben Hom

Steve Vallee

Dear Steve...

The B&O hopper located in North Conway IS an ex B&O hopper! In the 80's the Maine Central had MANY 2-bay hoppers where you could see the B&O lettering showing through the MEC paint.

When this car showed up on the Conway Scenic Railroad (unknown if they own this car outright, or is owned by someone else and leased to them), it was a MEC car WITH the B&O lettering showing through the paint.

The Conway Scenic has a railfan weekend, usually in the Fall, where they run freight trains for the 100's of railfans that show up. This car was used both in the railfan trains, as well as a MOW car for the Conway Scenic.

It stayed as a MEC car for 2-3 years, then was re-painted back to a B&O car. I don't know if this is it's B*O number or a stand in number. I'll have to look into my files to see what MEC number this car had. Since the B&O number was painted out and the MEC number painted over it, I don't know if I can find the pre MEC/B&O number.

Hope this helps

Steve Vallee

water.kresse@...

You can look at the trucks and see if the are marked B&O or C&O.  Their twin hops got mixed up during the joint operating era.  C&O was buying deadlined B&O hopper cars from the B&O and rebuilding them at Raceland.  They were selling older running hopper cars back to the B&O.  They sold the Windifried Rr reblt 60-ton hopper cars that were actually old B&O cars . . . or cars with B&O trucks.

Al

[...]

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Ben--

Thanks for the info.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

I wrote:
"As Rich Orr suggested, see my article in the May/June 2009 issue of The B&O
Modeler for more information on the B&O hopper fleet."

Trying to multitask too much at 0600 - correct issue is May/June *2006*.
Apologies for any confusion.

Ben Hom

Jim Mischke

The B&O hopper car at North Conway, marked 829839, is a curious aberration.

During 1965-66, B&O leased some offset side twin hoppers from Maine Central, all painted in B&O Billboard lettering scheme. This lease was temporary, you will one find this series only in the 1965 or 1966 Railway Equipment Register. Because they were leased, it carried no B&O or B&O/C&O class number.

Returned to Maine Central it was repainted. You can see how the museum approched it when acquired, this series often had B&O lettering showing through. The assumption was that it is former B&O. Well, yes. For about a year. It might be more properly displayed as a Maine Central car in MC paint.

I have no photos of this series on B&O. Maybe Paul Dunn saw one but I do not know. Only have photos on Maine Central afterwards with B&O lettering showing through fading MC paint.