MP hoppers California to West Virginia

Nathan Obermeyer

Being a Mopac fan I'm enjoying the discussion on the Mopac hoppers. By chance what road numbers would these cars carry? I model outside the scope of this forum, but greatly enjoy discussions like this one.

Jerry, I have a Mopac specific question reference Mopac hoppers used on my section of the line and would appreicate if you would contact me off list to discuss them. obermeyern AT yahoo.com

Nate

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, jerryglow@... wrote:

From my observations in Lala land, I've seen high sided MP gondolas (usually singles) with coke but full strings of hoppers were coal.

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@> wrote:

Mike

Those MP hoppers could have originated in Texas, and could be
filled with coke made from petroleum. I have a photo showing
three MP, one B&O, and one N&W hopper loaded with petroleum coke
at a Texas refinery.

Tim O'Connor

jerryglow2

From my observations in Lala land, I've seen high sided MP gondolas (usually singles) with coke but full strings of hoppers were coal.

Jerry Glow

Mike

Those MP hoppers could have originated in Texas, and could be
filled with coke made from petroleum. I have a photo showing
three MP, one B&O, and one N&W hopper loaded with petroleum coke
at a Texas refinery.

Tim O'Connor

Santa Fe gurus are no doubt pulling out what hair they have left today after
viewing the photo on pg 25 of the just appearing War Bonnet, First Quarter
2008. They probably thought...ohhh nooo...when they looked carefully at the
photo. It shows a nice view of the San Bernardino yard in 1950 with mention
that the El Captitan is arriving. However, much more interesting to those on
the STMFC that are always on the lookout for "eastern style" hoppers in
California is a string of cars 5 tracks away. Here we see no less than 8 MP
3 bay hopper cars [ maybe more ]...filled with what looks
like...well...coal.

Mike Brock

Tim O'Connor

[...]

mike brock <brockm@...>

Jerry Michels asks about MP hoppers out West:

Mike, any details on this?
I originally wrote this on March 25, 2008:

Santa Fe gurus are no doubt pulling out what hair they have left today after viewing the photo on pg 25 of the just appearing War Bonnet, First Quarter
2008. They probably thought...ohhh nooo...when they looked carefully at the
photo. It shows a nice view of the San Bernardino yard in 1950 with mention
that the El Captitan is arriving. However, much more interesting to those on the STMFC that are always on the lookout for "eastern style" hoppers in
California is a string of cars 5 tracks away. Here we see no less than 8 MP
3 bay hopper cars [ maybe more ]...filled with what looks
like...well...coal.

Coincidentally, there are photos of other MP hopper cars "lost" out in the
"real west". America's Colorful Railroads shows no less than 2 MT's being
returned eastward on the D&RGW in Tennessee Pass and The Iron Horse and I
shows MP hoppers in...of all places...Laramie, WY.

To add to that and perhaps the strangest example is the long string of MP hoppers on a UP branch line in Utah as shown in the UPHS's The Streamliner. In the east is the MP hopper running from Lorain,OH, "back" to somewhere in West Virginia in a train of mostly B&O hoppers as shown on pg 40 of the book Baltimore & Ohio Trackside with Willis McCaleb...which contains some of the best color photos I have seen. One can surmise that the MP hopper never actually originated in a load in WV...a switching crew merely saying..."To hell with it" when they discovered the MP hopper in a train of very similar B&O hoppers in Lorain.

Mike Brock

asychis@...

Incidentally, MP hopper cars operated from California to WV. Anyone know of

a hopper that operated farther?

Mike, any details on this?

Jerry Michels