Necessary Freight cars (UNCLASSIFIED)

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Andy;

A solid data package will go a long way to advance the possibility of
a model being produced.
No doubt, but ........I've already talk to Exactrail and Tangent, they
didn't seem to be very interested. The larger manufacturers like Athearn,
Walthers, Atlas, already have a lot of coal hoppers in their lines already...
ditto Bowser. Intermountain I haven't talked to about it, oddly enough, it's
kind of up their alley - they have done a bunch of covered hoppers (albeit
only one steam/transition era), and not a single coal hopper.

You bring up another good point, and I have talked to a number of
manufacturers about it; what type of cars sell best and get the most
interest.

This is the inevitable answer:

Box cars, box cars, box cars;

Covered hoppers

Gondolas and flat cars

Open hoppers bringing up the rear.

There is a lot of speculation on why, including: RTR open hoppers are
extremely costly to assemble, don't sell as well as other car types, and have
big differences between RRs that render them applicable to only a handful of
roads. Open hopper kits are "hard to assemble", and other reasons above.

So, the answer we get, repeatedly, on the "why don't we have an alternate
standard twin offset hopper" is: a) many detail differences between RRs, b)
not enough major roads for one version to warrant doing one, c) people don't
really buy a lot of open hoppers compared to other projects we could do that
would do better, and d)... Richard Hendrickson won't buy any of them.

I don't buy all of this, even the part about Richard, and will continue to
work with open-minded manufacturers on ANY project that might benefit us. I
also have hope we will see an alternate standard twin offset hopper in HO,
just probably not RTR.

Elden Gatwood

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

armprem2 <armprem2@...>

Hear hear.Well put.Armand Premo

> A solid data package will go a long way to advance the possibility of
> a model being produced.
>>No doubt, but ........I've already talk to Exactrail and Tangent, they
didn't seem to be very interested. The larger manufacturers like Athearn,
Walthers, Atlas, already have a lot of coal hoppers in their lines already...
ditto Bowser. Intermountain I haven't talked to about it, oddly enough, it's
kind of up their alley - they have done a bunch of covered hoppers (albeit
only one steam/transition era), and not a single coal hopper.

You bring up another good point, and I have talked to a number of
manufacturers about it; what type of cars sell best and get the most
interest.

This is the inevitable answer:

Box cars, box cars, box cars;

Covered hoppers

Gondolas and flat cars

Open hoppers bringing up the rear.

There is a lot of speculation on why, including: RTR open hoppers are
extremely costly to assemble, don't sell as well as other car types, and have
big differences between RRs that render them applicable to only a handful of
roads. Open hopper kits are "hard to assemble", and other reasons above.

So, the answer we get, repeatedly, on the "why don't we have an alternate
standard twin offset hopper" is: a) many detail differences between RRs, b)
not enough major roads for one version to warrant doing one, c) people don't
really buy a lot of open hoppers compared to other projects we could do that
would do better, and d)... Richard Hendrickson won't buy any of them.

I don't buy all of this, even the part about Richard, and will continue to
work with open-minded manufacturers on ANY project that might benefit us. I
also have hope we will see an alternate standard twin offset hopper in HO,
just probably not RTR.

Elden Gatwood

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Groupon&#8482 Official Site
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/4da6ff6a6b4ae70810st04duc

George Courtney

Sheer puzzlement about hoppers being slow sellers. As a coal road modeler I can see that most modelers would only buy one road's hoppers. But they are slightly more than half of all the cars on my layout. Should be more, but I can't resist the occasional oddball boxcar you know.

George Courtney

> A solid data package will go a long way to advance the possibility of
> a model being produced.
>>No doubt, but ........I've already talk to Exactrail and Tangent, they
didn't seem to be very interested. The larger manufacturers like Athearn,
Walthers, Atlas, already have a lot of coal hoppers in their lines already...
ditto Bowser. Intermountain I haven't talked to about it, oddly enough, it's
kind of up their alley - they have done a bunch of covered hoppers (albeit
only one steam/transition era), and not a single coal hopper.

You bring up another good point, and I have talked to a number of
manufacturers about it; what type of cars sell best and get the most
interest.

This is the inevitable answer:

Box cars, box cars, box cars;

Covered hoppers

Gondolas and flat cars

Open hoppers bringing up the rear.

There is a lot of speculation on why, including: RTR open hoppers are
extremely costly to assemble, don't sell as well as other car types, and have
big differences between RRs that render them applicable to only a handful of
roads. Open hopper kits are "hard to assemble", and other reasons above.

So, the answer we get, repeatedly, on the "why don't we have an alternate
standard twin offset hopper" is: a) many detail differences between RRs, b)
not enough major roads for one version to warrant doing one, c) people don't
really buy a lot of open hoppers compared to other projects we could do that
would do better, and d)... Richard Hendrickson won't buy any of them.

I don't buy all of this, even the part about Richard, and will continue to
work with open-minded manufacturers on ANY project that might benefit us. I
also have hope we will see an alternate standard twin offset hopper in HO,
just probably not RTR.

Elden Gatwood

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

George;

It may be reality, or just blather.

I know modelers and layout builders that have HUNDREDS of hoppers, all less
than state-of-the-art, and ALL of them tell me they'd buy dozens of RTR cars,
IF they were offered. Yes, they each have good numbers of Kadee twins (which
we all LOVE), but honestly, if you're not modeling the RDG (or C&I, GA etc.),
just how many do you need? Most coal road modelers are ACHING for their pet
hopper to be made in RTR plastic. Trouble is, most of them are one-road
cars, or small road cars.

When Bowser came out with the PRR H21A, in singles, six-packs and 12-packs,
they couldn't keep them on the shelf. Now they've reached saturation. Folks
just don't need them with all they currently own.

Could someone produce an RTR H21A/E with state-of-the-art details, and would
it sell well enough to re-coup? Absolutely. Do manufacturers believe this?
Those we've spoken with say no. I say they are missing a big opportunity.

One of these days one of them will bite, and off to the races.

It'd be the same with a GLA, an X31A, and several other PRR freight cars.
Each road has its examples.

I also believe an alternate standard offset twin would sell, and yet we don't
even have a resin kit....but we do for a chisel-side IC offset twin?

C'mon....

Elden Gatwood

P.S. There is one resin manufacturer doing EXTREMELY well off a niche
market. Anyone want to guess who that is?

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , "armprem2"
<armprem2@...> wrote:

[...]

Difficulty of construction? Bogus excuse.A hopper IMHO, is merely a box car without a roof or running board.Should be easier to build.My major complaint is the lack of variety.Armand Premo

Sheer puzzlement about hoppers being slow sellers. As a coal road modeler I can see that most modelers would only buy one road's hoppers. But they are slightly more than half of all the cars on my layout. Should be more, but I can't resist the occasional oddball boxcar you know.

George Courtney

> > A solid data package will go a long way to advance the possibility of
> > a model being produced.
> >>No doubt, but ........I've already talk to Exactrail and Tangent, they
> didn't seem to be very interested. The larger manufacturers like Athearn,
> Walthers, Atlas, already have a lot of coal hoppers in their lines already...
> ditto Bowser. Intermountain I haven't talked to about it, oddly enough, it's
> kind of up their alley - they have done a bunch of covered hoppers (albeit
> only one steam/transition era), and not a single coal hopper.
>
> You bring up another good point, and I have talked to a number of
> manufacturers about it; what type of cars sell best and get the most
> interest.
>
> This is the inevitable answer:
>
> Box cars, box cars, box cars;
>
> Covered hoppers
>
> Gondolas and flat cars
>
> Open hoppers bringing up the rear.
>
> There is a lot of speculation on why, including: RTR open hoppers are
> extremely costly to assemble, don't sell as well as other car types, and have
> big differences between RRs that render them applicable to only a handful of
> roads. Open hopper kits are "hard to assemble", and other reasons above.
>
> So, the answer we get, repeatedly, on the "why don't we have an alternate
> standard twin offset hopper" is: a) many detail differences between RRs, b)
> not enough major roads for one version to warrant doing one, c) people don't
> really buy a lot of open hoppers compared to other projects we could do that
> would do better, and d)... Richard Hendrickson won't buy any of them.
>
> I don't buy all of this, even the part about Richard, and will continue to
> work with open-minded manufacturers on ANY project that might benefit us. I
> also have hope we will see an alternate standard twin offset hopper in HO,
> just probably not RTR.
>
> Elden Gatwood
>
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE

> Groupon&#8482 Official Site
> 1 ridiculously huge coupon a day. Get 50-90% off your city's best!
> http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/4da6ff6a6b4ae70810st04duc

Groupon&#8482 Official Site
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/4da710593d37b1286d0st01vuc

Andy Harman

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 07:57:57 -0400, Gatwood, Elden SAW wrote

This is the inevitable answer:
One thing I've learned about pat answers is to take them with a tub of salt.

There is a lot of speculation on why, including: RTR open hoppers are
extremely costly to assemble, don't sell as well as other car types, and have
big differences between RRs that render them applicable to only a handful of
roads. Open hopper kits are "hard to assemble", and other reasons above.
I'm not sure why an open hopper would be harder to assemble than a covered hopper. My
H10 doesn't have any parts that, say, Intermountain's 1958 doesn't have and the 1958 has
things the open hopper doesn't have like a roof, roofwalk, and hatches.

Manufacturers that ignore Professor Pat Paradigm and institutionalized sayings about
what does and doesn't sell, and the ridiculous numbers quoted to the public for "tooling
costs" will make me happy by finding ways to do new things. From my experience the
things that do NOT sell are "signature" or "ethnic" cars that are botched to the point
that even most loyal followers of that road won't buy them, although even for something
that bad there may be salvation in the Holy 13 road names.

A major manufacturer has just put out a new tool freight car (not steam era) admitting
up front that it "combines cool features from different prototypes" or some such
nonsense. This from a toolmaker that should know better. I'm told from several dealers
they can't keep it on the shelf. It's not a cheap item. Producing an unusual prototype
that existed in small numbers is like a broken clock, it's right twice a day. A clock
that reads 37:0#P:UG is wrong, always - but apparently there's still a market for them.
And it's a whole lot easier to make than it is to build a precision clock that keeps
accurate time.

Andy

armprem2 <armprem2@...>

Not necessarily just coal road modelers.The wheel reports that I have indicate that hoppers were second only to box cars in number.Armand Premo

<armprem2@...> wrote:

> Hear hear.Well put.Armand Premo

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 11:11:24 -0400, Gatwood, Elden SAW wrote

It may be reality, or just blather.
It wouldn't be the first time manufacturer(s) put up a smoke screen. I don't have a
problem with them telling me "no comment" or "none of your business", but just making up
something to throw me off course is playing me for a fool. Especially when I can be
duped into spreading it and I think that's where a lot of this stuff comes from.

I remember once asking a manufacturer's rep about a product I was interested in, and the
guy looked at me like I was from outer space. He acted not only as if I was the only
person who ever mentioned such a thing, but almost acted as if he had never even heard
of the thing. He smugly suggested a similar product from another manufacturer - which
was, in addition to not being what I wanted - very poorly done. He left me feeling like
an idiot for even mentioning such an obscure, strange, weird, and unwanted thing.

Less than a year later, his company put out that exact thing -- at precisely the same
time as a competitor also put out that exact thing. I guess the smoke screen worked, he
sure fooled me. I also never talked to that manufacturer again. He probably doesn't
miss me.

When Bowser came out with the PRR H21A, in singles, six-packs and 12-packs,
they couldn't keep them on the shelf. Now they've reached saturation. Folks
just don't need them with all they currently own.
I think that may be the issue - open hoppers are not an oo-looky impulse buy for the
casual shopper. They are the kind of thing that, when announced, people will advance
reserve them by the dozen if not the gross, and then they're done. If we're to believe
Intermountain's new blurb about A/R, to the detriment of the impulse buyer, then a coal
hopper should fit that business model perfectly.

Of course trying to make a logical argument out of a hobby is sort of like getting into
a logic argument with your kid when he asks "Whhhhyyyy??" Any answer besides "Because I
said so" is open invitation to counterpoint and alternate logic. So regardless of
logic, I'll get my H10 hopper when somebody feels like making one, and it will have
little to do with statistics, polls, or logic.

I also believe an alternate standard offset twin would sell, and yet we don't
even have a resin kit....but we do for a chisel-side IC offset twin?
The alternate standard offset - is this the version NKP had?

Andy

David

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Harman" <gsgondola@...> wrote:

The alternate standard offset - is this the version NKP had?
Yes. One could oversimplify and call it the AMC version.

And then there's the NYC's shorter (lengthwise) version of the AAR standard offset twin.

David Thompson

Andy Harman

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 16:05:25 -0000, jaydeet2001 wrote

The alternate standard offset - is this the version NKP had?
Yes. One could oversimplify and call it the AMC version.
I could certainly get into that. Maybe not quite in the same quantity as the H10 but, I
could use quite a few.

Andy

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

The alternate standard offset - is this the version NKP had?
Yes. One could oversimplify and call it the AMC version.
I could certainly get into that. Maybe not quite in the same quantity as
the H10 but, I could use quite a few.

Actually, anyone modeling a northeastern or eastern Midwest road should have
a bunch of them. Fron a variety of local roads. Also, those NP and L&N guys
have been moaning about this for decades. The C&O had oodles, but with a
wide variety of ends.

The NKP version is an obvious choice for a one-piece resin kit, since it can
be cast upside down with most of the structurals as part of that casting.
Like the F&C H25. That version would also be good for P&WV and maybe others.

The Erie and P&S cars are shorter overall, like 10'10" IH versus 10'4"?? or
so, so some modelers would not accept that kind of compromise, but there are
those that would not care. I would hack off the top chord and shorten it up,
if I was that hot for an Erie car.

Elden Gatwood

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

armprem2 <armprem2@...>

F&C has a nine panel CNJ/ B&O hopper.Armand Premo

http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/4da76c311b8f77649e8st05vuc