Scale Digital Caliper

Ed <nprybiged@...>

Hi Everyone

Many years ago Pacific Fast Mail (PFM) had a Stainless Steel Caliper that gave you
both HO and O scales without a Dial or Digital readout. With PFM long out of business
needless to say if you have one it's worth it's weight in gold.

Now, I would like to get your thoughts on the need for a 12" long Stainless Steel Digital
Caliper that would give you HO, O and N scale read outs starting in
1 scale inch increments. It would have a depth gauge that would give you a read out in all the scales.

Please, let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks for your time.

Ed Ursem

Tim O'Connor

I'd love to see a scale caliper! Actually, you just need to change
the programming chip on a digital caliper. My digital calipers will
read out MM or IN -- just need a third display option, HO.

Tim O'Connor

Hi Everyone

Many years ago Pacific Fast Mail (PFM) had a Stainless Steel Caliper that gave you
both HO and O scales without a Dial or Digital readout. With PFM long out of business
needless to say if you have one it's worth it's weight in gold.

Now, I would like to get your thoughts on the need for a 12" long Stainless Steel Digital
Caliper that would give you HO, O and N scale read outs starting in
1 scale inch increments. It would have a depth gauge that would give you a read out in all the scales.

Please, let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks for your time.

Ed Ursem

Aley, Jeff A

I have a dial caliper that is HO. It is made by General, and I think I got it through Micro Mark.

It is not stainless steel, however. It is some kind of tough plastic. I have not managed to wear it out yet.

Regards,

-Jeff

Many years ago Pacific Fast Mail (PFM) had a Stainless Steel Caliper that gave you
both HO and O scales without a Dial or Digital readout. With PFM long out of business
needless to say if you have one it's worth it's weight in gold.

Now, I would like to get your thoughts on the need for a 12" long Stainless Steel Digital
Caliper that would give you HO, O and N scale read outs starting in
1 scale inch increments. It would have a depth gauge that would give you a read out in all the scales.

Please, let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks for your time.

Ed Ursem

Dennis Storzek

I'd love to see a scale caliper! Actually, you just need to change
the programming chip on a digital caliper. My digital calipers will
read out MM or IN -- just need a third display option, HO.

Tim O'Connor
Biggest problem is coming up with a scheme to display feet, inches, and fractions within the confines of the LCD.

Dennis

tyesac@...

I managed to wear mine out so, I 'll have to either find a replacement, repair the jaws or recalibrate it somehow. Unfortunately, Micro-mark dropped this item a few years ago. A revised replacement would be a handy thing, and not just calibrated for HO either, I'm sure N, S & O scalers would find good use for one, and in a length that would cover a 50' car or longer. Yes I'm aware of using a regular digital caliper & converting the decimal number back to the scale dimensions, but I'd rather have a direct reading tool.

Tom Casey

It is not stainless steel, however. It is some kind of tough plastic. I have not managed to wear it out yet.

Regards,

-Jeff

Many years ago Pacific Fast Mail (PFM) had a Stainless Steel Caliper that gave you
both HO and O scales without a Dial or Digital readout. With PFM long out of business
needless to say if you have one it's worth it's weight in gold.

Now, I would like to get your thoughts on the need for a 12" long Stainless Steel Digital
Caliper that would give you HO, O and N scale read outs starting in
1 scale inch increments. It would have a depth gauge that would give you a read out in all the scales.

Please, let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks for your time.

Ed Ursem

Andy Sperandeo <asperandeo@...>

Hi Ed,

I have one of the PFM calipers and use it all the time. Still, if there were a digital caliper that read out in model railroad scales, I'm enough of a tool freak that I'd have to have one.

Good luck,

Andy

Andy Sperandeo
Executive Editor
Model Railroader magazine
asperandeo@mrmag.com
262-796-8776, ext. 461
FAX 262-796-1142

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

On 19 Apr 2011 at 0:19, Tim O'Connor wrote:

I'd love to see a scale caliper! Actually, you just need to change the
programming chip on a digital caliper. My digital calipers will read
out MM or IN -- just need a third display option, HO.

Tim O'Connor
I agree with Tim in that it should be much easier to
do this with modern technology. I'm not sure what the
chip inside the caliper is but should be easy to
program it.

Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax Chief/Zephyr systems, JMRI user
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

I would buy one if in the $20-$30 range. Higher priced than that my present caliper displaying thousandths of an inch is adequate. The math ain't that difficult, even for me.

Gene Green

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <nprybiged@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone

Many years ago Pacific Fast Mail (PFM) had a Stainless Steel Caliper that gave you
both HO and O scales without a Dial or Digital readout. With PFM long out of business
needless to say if you have one it's worth it's weight in gold.

Now, I would like to get your thoughts on the need for a 12" long Stainless Steel Digital
Caliper that would give you HO, O and N scale read outs starting in
1 scale inch increments. It would have a depth gauge that would give you a read out in all the scales.

Please, let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks for your time.

Ed Ursem

Andy Harman

I have one of the PFM vernier calipers that belonged to my dad, circa mid 1960s. It
will read down to an HO scale 1/4 inch. I rarely use it though - I find the dial
caliper much easier to read even though it's in 1:1 inches. Most of the time I use it
to make comparative measurements or just to make sure the styrene or brass wire stock I
pulled is what I think it is. Or that drill is what I think it is.

I bought a digital caliper too. Batteries lasted about 20 minutes. I don't think I've
touched it since - the dial is far cleaner and simpler. Funny, I wanted to buy a plain
old stop watch recently and the only thing I could find was a $10 digital stop watch at
Walmart. I can't even count the number of ways in which the thing is utterly worthless.
It looks as if a halfway decent analog, mechanical stop watch would run me $75 or so.

Remember when China (or whoever) could make buttons that didn't bounce or misfire?

Andy

Bryan Busséy

I don't understand why using a standard set of digital calipers and a
calculator is an issue. I personally measure in millimeters for even
more accuracy. It's simply a matter of taking the full-sized
measurement, multiplying by 25.4 and dividing by 87.1 for HO, 160 for N
and 48 for O. Or, reversing the process to get the scale measurement
off a model. Or, for converting scale drawings in magazines to the
scale desired.

Standard digital calipers of various measuring lengths are available
from a number of sources at reasonable prices. I model in N scale and I
have two digital calipers, a 6-inch and 12-inch, and I've never felt the
need to have one that provides the measurements in a 1:160 ratio.

__
bb

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>, "Ed"

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "soolinehistory" <destorzek@...> wrote:

Biggest problem is coming up with a scheme to display feet, inches, and fractions within the confines of the LCD.

Dennis

Further... My 6" Mits have a five digit display, with two choices of decimal point location; 0.0000 (for inch measurements) or 000.00 for metric. I just don't see a good scheme for output of feet and inches with resolution finer than the even inch.

However, my 12" Mit has a six digit display; 00.00.00 So, I suppose if one reads the first decimal point as the dash that separates feet and inches, and the second as the decimal point, it would work. Example:

2'- 3 1/2" would display as 2.03.50
57'- 11 1/4" would display as 57.11.25

It would really be nice to replace the first dot with a dash; perhaps the dash could be printed on the face of the display because it will always be in the same place, if you don't mind the leading zero on single digit inches, which you will get anyway, because the displays don't appear to have dots between all the digits. That still doesn't resolve the fact that it can't properly display 1/8": 1/8 would read .12, 3/8 .37, 5/8 .62, 7/8 .87.

The other way would be to assign the last two digits to be the numerator and denominator of the common fractions, that would display correctly down to the eighth inch, but may be confusing to read. I'm not sure I'd like to work with a tool that displays 5'- 8 1/2" as 5.08.12

Dennis

mopacfirst

It appears that General discontinued the item. It still lingers on the web, where I found the part number 1401, but it's not in General's current product listing. I did discover that, if it's similar to other plastic calipers they make now, that this is a fiberglass-reinforced plastic which would make it stiff and somewhat wear-resistant.

I use mine sparingly, for things that I really want to know a dimension accurately. Otherwise I use some of those clear plastic HO rulers. I also have a General 6" ruler that my father had, which dates to the early fifties. It's marked in tenths on the side I use, and I've always preferred to carry numbers as decimals so I'm cool with most of those instruments, including the General dial.

And, one of my bigger uses for it is to check random styrene strip that's on my workbench, or to double-check some of the Evergreen stuff that's marked in decimal inch.

Ron Merrick

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, tyesac@... wrote:

I managed to wear mine out so, I 'll have to either find a replacement, repair the jaws or recalibrate it somehow. Unfortunately, Micro-mark dropped this item a few years ago. A revised replacement would be a handy thing, and not just calibrated for HO either, I'm sure N, S & O scalers would find good use for one, and in a length that would cover a 50' car or longer. Yes I'm aware of using a regular digital caliper & converting the decimal number back to the scale dimensions, but I'd rather have a direct reading tool.

Tom Casey

It is not stainless steel, however. It is some kind of tough plastic. I have not managed to wear it out yet.

Regards,

-Jeff

Aley, Jeff A

Tom,

In case you are not aware: the dial can be re-calibrated simply by rotating it so that it indicates zero when the jaws are closed.
Of course, this does not help if the jaws are worn to an irregular shape, etc.

Regards,

-Jeff

Many years ago Pacific Fast Mail (PFM) had a Stainless Steel Caliper that gave you
both HO and O scales without a Dial or Digital readout. With PFM long out of business
needless to say if you have one it's worth it's weight in gold.

Now, I would like to get your thoughts on the need for a 12" long Stainless Steel Digital
Caliper that would give you HO, O and N scale read outs starting in
1 scale inch increments. It would have a depth gauge that would give you a read out in all the scales.

Please, let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks for your time.

Ed Ursem

VINCE PUGLIESE

While not addressing the needs of a scale digital caliper (which could
presumably be adjusted to different scales by setting a switch), this caliper
does show how one version shows fractional measurements:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=66892&cat=1,43513,49782

.vp

________________________________
[...]

Jeff

in my case, I wore the jaws relative to each other (inner to outer) so calibration would set things for one, but throw off the outside measuring. What I will probably do is reline or laminate the worn jaws with nickle silver scraps to solve the isue.

Tom C

[...]

Jack Burgess

At times, being able to measure in HO (or other scales) would be handy. But
it should also be able to measure in decimal inches too. If I am checking
the diameter of wire so that I can drill a hole for it to go through, I want
to measure in inches. Other times, being able to measure in HO scale would
be handy. (I never use a scale ruler for measuring.) If it could do both,
I'd buy one.

But it also needs to turn off automatically after a few minutes and not turn
on by itself. I have a pair of digital calipers from Harbor Freight. The 6"
one turns on when it shouldn't and eats batteries and is in a drawer unused
while my 4" one works great.

Jack

<Hi Everyone
<
<Many years ago Pacific Fast Mail (PFM) had a Stainless Steel Caliper
<that gave you
<both HO and O scales without a Dial or Digital readout. With PFM long
<out of business
<needless to say if you have one it's worth it's weight in gold.
<
<Now, I would like to get your thoughts on the need for a 12" long
<Stainless Steel Digital
<Caliper that would give you HO, O and N scale read outs starting in
<1 scale inch increments. It would have a depth gauge that would give you
<a read out in all the scales.
<
<Please, let me know what your thoughts are.
<
<Thanks for your time.
<
<Ed Ursem

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

Ed,

Sounds like a most handy item and I would buy one if available.

Fred Freitas

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Burgess" <jack@...> wrote:

But it also needs to turn off automatically after a few minutes and not turn
on by itself. I have a pair of digital calipers from Harbor Freight. The 6"
one turns on when it shouldn't and eats batteries and is in a drawer unused
while my 4" one works great.

Jack
I suspect the Chinese caliper manufacturers are in cahoots with the Chinese battery manufacturers :)

I have, among others, the same Mititoyo 6" Digimatic I started into this business with more than twenty five years ago, still going strong. It rarely gets turned off; uses one, at most two batteries per year.

Dennis

Tim O'Connor

To show 10'6 1/2" the display could simply show 10-6.50 (in other
words, fractions of inches can be shown in decimal). That's because
the caliper is only accurate to .001" -- or .0871" in HO scale. A
two-place decimal display could accurately show the HO scale decimal
fraction (to within the caliper's precision, that is).

What I'd really like is a "calculating caliper" with a memory, so you
could "save" a measurement, make another measurement, and then tell the
caliper to add/subtract the old value and the new one. Would save me
some time... :-)

Tim O'Connor

While not addressing the needs of a scale digital caliper (which could
presumably be adjusted to different scales by setting a switch), this caliper
does show how one version shows fractional measurements:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=66892&cat=1,43513,49782
.vp

Tim O'Connor

Batteries degrade over time regardless of use. I have to replace my caliper
batteries about every two years, even though I only use them a couple of times
a week on average.

Tim O'