Topics

Wood floors in gons?

spsalso

I posted the following in the MFCL. I'm also interested in how the matter was dealt with "back in the day":

Someone on the Atlas forum asked about wood floors in gons--in particular, Railgons. I "asserted" that Railgons never had wood floors.But it did get me wondering about the general case. It's interesting that typical flat cars have wood deck flooring; but, it appears to me, that gons rarely do. I thought I'd ask "the folks" their opinions on the matter.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

naptownprr

Back in the transition era, which most of us model, many gons had wood floors. Even in the steel trade many had wood floors. I don't know what the proportion of wood to steel was, but big roads like the PRR had both wood and steel floored gons. Elden could probably cite the particular classes which had wood floors.

Jim

Quoting spsalso <Edwardsutorik@...>:

I posted the following in the MFCL. I'm also interested in how the
matter was dealt with "back in the day":

Someone on the Atlas forum asked about wood floors in gons--in
particular, Railgons. I "asserted" that Railgons never had wood
floors.But it did get me wondering about the general case. It's
interesting that typical flat cars have wood deck flooring; but, it
appears to me, that gons rarely do. I thought I'd ask "the folks"
their opinions on the matter.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Thomas Birkett

The 2-1/4" tongue and groove yellow pine decking for flat cars, plain box
cars and gons came to Topeka Shops in large bundles from saw mills in East
Texas. No doubt since most of the gon and hopper work was done in Cleburne,
they had a similar deal. La Junta did a lot of flat car rehabilitation at
one time and Topeka Purchasing would buy the material and Topeka Store
Department would inventory it until it was needed in LaJunta.

At one time I think it was treated, probably with creosote, but toward the
end of wood decking, it was untreated, but painted. It was fastened down
with clips that hooked under the side sills, and stringers so there were not
a bunch of holes punched in them. fyi...Higher quality box cars received
hardwood decking.
Tom

I posted the following in the MFCL. I'm also interested in how the matter
was dealt with "back in the day":

Someone on the Atlas forum asked about wood floors in gons--in particular,
Railgons. I "asserted" that Railgons never had wood floors.But it did get me
wondering about the general case. It's interesting that typical flat cars
have wood deck flooring; but, it appears to me, that gons rarely do. I
thought I'd ask "the folks" their opinions on the matter.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Tim O'Connor

And many flat cars had steel decks, or partial steel decks. And
some gondolas had 1/2 wood - 1/2 steel "nailable steel floors" --
the old Revell/Concor gondola has a beautiful version of this, on
tooling created more than 60 years ago! It's not an era thing, as
much as it's a matter of the intended use of the car.

Tim O'Connor

---------------------------------

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Edward Sutorik wrote:
Someone on the Atlas forum asked about wood floors in gons--in particular, Railgons. I "asserted" that Railgons never had wood floors.But it did get me wondering about the general case. It's interesting that typical flat cars have wood deck flooring; but, it appears to me, that gons rarely do. I thought I'd ask "the folks" their opinions on the matter.
Wood gondola floors were more common than steel ones in the steam era, for the exact same reason that wood decks were used on flat cars: loads and cribbing were more easily attached.
The biggest exception was the kind of mill gon which normally carried steel structural shapes or plate. These did not have to be secured with any dunnage in most cases and needed to be as durable as possible.
ORER entries often identify wood vs. steel floors in gondolas, simply so car clerks would know the proper assignment of such cars.

Publishers of books on railroad history

water.kresse@...

I believe you need to qualify the area of the country during the steam era after 1910.  If you're talking the coal country around the C&O, N&W etc. railways you are going to find steel floors in steel gons much more common.

Al Kresse

[...]

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history

spsalso

Thank you all for your answers!