Soo automobile car & others to identify

Robert kirkham

I'm wondering about built or re-built date and HO modelling options for each of these cars (as I model 1946).

Included in the list is:

- Soo 176356 (number slightly illegible). The car has double doors made of 3 corrugated panels; 5/5 ends; 15 panel roof, and . . . I can't count the side panels.

- CNW 77322 - has 10 panel sides, 5/5 ends, 3 panel doors, 12 flat panel roof

- B & O boxcar - reminds me of the PRR X29

- NYC double door car - 2 wider (8'?) doors on the sides.

- a car with almost no reporting marks - seems to have 4 1/2 panels each side of the doors, 7/8 ends - some sort of re-build?

- another car with illegible marks on the end - a partial view at the edge of the photo - shows a composite car - steel frame single sheathed. The side sills dip to suggest a fishbelly profile. I'd guess the reporting marks have two letters followed by a number - not much help.

Rob Kirkham

Tim O'Connor

Rob

I think these were built in 1942. 50 foot AAR cars with 12'6" door openings
and S-corner ends. A builder photo of 176480 in Dorin's "The Soo Line". From
series 175900-176498.

Tim O'Connor

---------------------------------

soolinehistory <destorzek@...>

Rob

I think these were built in 1942. 50 foot AAR cars with 12'6" door openings
and S-corner ends. A builder photo of 176480 in Dorin's "The Soo Line". From
series 175900-176498...
Even numbers only. These are really hard to model, as the 12'-6" door opening is centered on the car, not staggered like a normal automobile car. While the Soo called these automobile cars (because the AAR called them automobile cars) they were not loader equipped, and I suspect they were really purchased for hauling rolled paper. The Soo had something like 1300 cars in eight or nine different groups built between 1937 and 1957, all with this same door arrangement, which may have been unique to the Soo. The later cars with the improved Dreadnaught ends are pretty easy to kitbash by plugging the double doors from an Accurail 40' double door car into any of several fifty foot cars, but I haven't given much thought how to do these earlier cars.

Dennis

Jack Mullen

--- In STMFC@..., "Rob Kirkham" <rdkirkham@...> wrote:

I'm wondering about built or re-built date and HO modelling options for each of these cars (as I model 1946).

Included in the list is:
- CNW 77322 - has 10 panel sides, 5/5 ends, 3 panel doors, 12 flat panel roof
Modified AAR, 10'5"IH, 76900-77414 even, Pullman 5-42. Viking roof, not flat panel. Kind of hard to see but you can distinguish the corrugations at the eave. The ends are round cornered. And while the door does have three panels, you'd be clearer calling it a 6/7/6 Youngstown door. 3 panel with no mention of corrugation suggests a flat panel door, e.g. Creco.
There were other lots by ACF and Pullman built 1941-42 and numbered in the lower 7xxxxs which as far as I know are identical except for choice of appliances.

I believe there is more than one source for a mod. AAR boxcar in HO, and somebody made a Viking roof, but it's not my scale so I can't give you any guidance.

Jack Mullen

Paul Lyons

Jack,

Wrong series! 176XXX, not 76900-77414. No model source.

Paul Lyons

[...]

joth1930s

Hello Rob.

I'm confident that the partial view of the "unidentified composite car" is a Canadian Pacific steel frame auto car originally built in either the 1923, 300-car, 297500-297799 series or 1924, 300 car 297800-298099 series. Built at CP's Angus Shops, both of these series featured a distinctive fishbelly side sill, and other spotting features seen in this photo are a 5/5/5 reverse Murphy end, hat section bracing and Murphy metal roof. By the time this photo was taken, the original series mentioned above had splintered into various series (along with the 297000-297499 series, 500 cars built 1921-1922 to a similar but noticeably different design) as CPR rebuilt their steel frame auto car fleet in the mid-1930s. The boxcar seen in the photo could be a member of one of six CPR steel frame auto car series operating in the mid-to-late 1940s .

Jonathan McConathy

- another car with illegible marks on the end - a partial view at the edge of the photo - shows a composite car - steel frame single sheathed. The side sills dip >to suggest a fishbelly profile. I'd guess the reporting marks have two letters followed by a number - not much help.
Rob Kirkham

Clark Propst

Dennis wrote: "with this same door arrangement, which
may have been unique to the Soo."

The CGW had 50' DDs with centered doors too. Weren't the SOO cars 10' inside height?
Clark Propst

rwitt_2000

Rob Kirkham wrote:

I'm wondering about built or re-built date and HO modelling options
for each of these cars (as I model 1946).

Included in the list is: - B & O boxcar - reminds me of the PRR X29
====================================

Rob,

The car is one of the many B&O ARA boxcar assigned to class M-26. These
have been available in resin from Sunshine and in styrene from Red
Caboose. Since you model the year 1946 you are in luck because the B&O
Historical Society will be offering a M-26B painted in B&O boxcar brown
lettered with the early Kuhler capitol dome emblem.

http://borhs.org/

Scroll down the home page and look for the "advance order form"

Regards,

Bob Witt

Tim O'Connor

Paul, say what? The photo shows 77322, and indeed it is part of
series 76900-77414. I think you are confusing it with the Soo car.
Intermountain or Sunshine in HO scale.

Tim O'Connor

------------------------------

Barrybennetttoo@...

In a message dated 23/04/2011 22:13:25 GMT Daylight Time, rdkirkham@...
writes:

- a car with almost no reporting marks - seems to have 4 1/2 panels each
side of the doors, 7/8 ends - some sort of re-build?

Rob

I bet on an ex-Universal Cement car, either Northampton & Bath or Hannibal
Connecting. The welded on towing brackets above the trucks and the repair
panel on the door do it for me. Westerfield kit - oops, just too late.

Barry Bennett
Coventry, England.

soolinehistory <destorzek@...>

--- In STMFC@..., cepropst@... wrote:

Dennis wrote: "with this same door arrangement, which
may have been unique to the Soo."

The CGW had 50' DDs with centered doors too. Weren't the SOO cars 10' inside height?
Clark Propst
10'-1", 10'-5", or 10'-6",depending when built. I didn't know about the CGW cars.

Dennis

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

Bob or anyone else,

I couldn't find a price on the B&O site. Probably it is very obvious but I couldn't find it. Has price been announced yet?

A couple of those M-26 box cars would fit in my layout nicely. B&O 267268 & 270197 were on the M&StL 28 March 1948 and 9 February 1948 respectively carrying feed and flour respectively.

Gene Green

--- In STMFC@..., "rwitt_2000" <rwitt_2000@...> wrote:

Rob,

The car is one of the many B&O ARA boxcar assigned to class M-26. These
have been available in resin from Sunshine and in styrene from Red
Caboose. Since you model the year 1946 you are in luck because the B&O
Historical Society will be offering a M-26B painted in B&O boxcar brown
lettered with the early Kuhler capitol dome emblem.

http://borhs.org/

Scroll down the home page and look for the "advance order form"

Regards,

Bob Witt

Larry Sexton

Gene,

On the "Advance Order Form" the price was given as $36.95.

Larry Sexton

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , "rwitt_2000"