From: "soolinehistory" <destorzek@...>
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2011 3:59 PM
To: <STMFC@...>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Soo automobile car & others to identify

Rob

I think these were built in 1942. 50 foot AAR cars with 12'6" door openings
and S-corner ends. A builder photo of 176480 in Dorin's "The Soo Line". From
series 175900-176498...
Even numbers only. These are really hard to model, as the 12'-6" door opening is centered on the car, not staggered like a normal automobile car. While the Soo called these automobile cars (because the AAR called them automobile cars) they were not loader equipped, and I suspect they were really purchased for hauling rolled paper. The Soo had something like 1300 cars in eight or nine different groups built between 1937 and 1957, all with this same door arrangement, which may have been unique to the Soo. The later cars with the improved Dreadnaught ends are pretty easy to kitbash by plugging the double doors from an Accurail 40' double door car into any of several fifty foot cars, but I haven't given much thought how to do these earlier cars.

Dennis

soolinehistory <destorzek@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Rob Kirkham" <rdkirkham@...> wrote:

Or am I missing key spotting features? I suppose a lot depends on the width
of the kit doors and the spacing of the side panels on the model. I'm
assuming they are basically the same.

Rob Kirkham
That's precisely the problem. The common eight foot door ends four feet each side of centerline. The 12'-6" door opening will end 2'-3" further from the center of the car, but that 2'-3" doesn't equal a full panel of side sheathing. The Soo cars had five more or less equal width panels to each side of the door, while the P2K cars have six, but will end up with 5-1/4 with the new wider doors. It just doesn't work, although new styrene sides with Archer rivets could be a possibility.

Dennis

Paul Lyons

Dennis Storzek wrote

while the P2K cars have six, but will end up with 5-1/4 with the new wider doors. It just doesn't work, although new styrene sides with Archer rivets could be a possibility.

Since we have agreed that the P2K roof is really not right, would you want to spend that much time for a finished model that is still not correct? I would not!
Paul Lyons

Clark Propst

I consider kitbashing a 'near miss' sport. I'll take a slightly wrong car over no car anyday !
Clark Propst

Richard Hendrickson

On Apr 25, 2011, at 1:28 PM, cepropst@q.com wrote:

I consider kitbashing a 'near miss' sport. I'll take a slightly
wrong car over no car anyday !
Clark Propst
I don't disagree with that. But what there's likely to be much
disagreement about is what constitutes "slightly wrong."

Slightly wrong trucks? I can accept that if there are no "exactly
right" trucks available.

Wrong number and arrangement of side sheathing panels? Whoa!

Richard Hendrickson

Clark Propst

It all depends on your tolerance level Richard. What errors you can live with. If I want a model of a particular car and none is available, I'll live with the wrong number of panels. Nobody's going to count them while the car is moving around on the layout anyway. You haven't visited : )

I also feel that some guys look at discrepancies as excuses for why they can't build models.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Slightly wrong trucks? I can accept that if there are no "exactly
right" trucks available.

Wrong number and arrangement of side sheathing panels? Whoa!

Richard Hendrickson

soolinehistory <destorzek@...>

I don't disagree with that. But what there's likely to be much
disagreement about is what constitutes "slightly wrong."

Slightly wrong trucks? I can accept that if there are no "exactly
right" trucks available.

Wrong number and arrangement of side sheathing panels? Whoa!

Richard Hendrickson
Actually, the objection was the P2K rendition of the rectangular panel roof, since I had already suggested new styrene sides with Archer rivets.

It may be easier to just model the earlier 10'-1" IH cars using parts from two Red Caboose 40' double door cars, or one double door car and an extra roof and underframe. The RC kit should provide the correct ends (I assume these have square corner ends) doors and a better roof; the sides still need to be built up from styrene and Archer rivets. I'm not sure what it takes to splice 40' car roofs into fifty car roofs; three more panels, but the length doesn't work out exactly right. However, the adjustment would be in the flat end panels.

All theseare P-S built cars, so drawings should be available from the Pullman Library at the Illinois Railway Museum. Lot numbers are:

Lot 5569, 8-37 (175000-175498, even)
Lot 5599. 12-39 (175500-175698, even)

The cars Rob was asking about were 175900-176498, even, built 2-42 as Lot 5689.

Dennis

Dennis