truck question

Clark Propst

I just dug out a Red Caboose box car kit L&N 90145 I bought cheap awhile back.
I can't decide whether to keep the paint job or repaint it.

So far my research has found:
There was a car from this series on my railroad with a load of oats +
This cars had Miner hand brake and Apex running board +
The model has a 1953 reweigh date, I model 54 +
- I don't know what style truck was under this cars.

Does anyone know? Will they share their information with me? Not to sound ungrateful, but I need to know a model truck not the name of the prototype.
Thanks,
Clark Propst

Richard Hendrickson

On Apr 29, 2011, at 7:30 PM, cepropst@q.com wrote:

I just dug out a Red Caboose box car kit L&N 90145 I bought cheap
awhile back.
I can't decide whether to keep the paint job or repaint it.

So far my research has found:
There was a car from this series on my railroad with a load of oats +
This cars had Miner hand brake and Apex running board +
The model has a 1953 reweigh date, I model 54 +
- I don't know what style truck was under this cars.

Does anyone know? Will they share their information with me? Not to
sound ungrateful, but I need to know a model truck not the name of
the prototype.
Thanks,
Clark Propst
I can tell you both. The trucks on all the cars in this series were
AAR cast steel with spring planks. The best HO replica is Accurail's
so-called (but mis-named) "Bettendorf" truck.

Richard Hendrickson

Clark Propst

Thank you Richard! I'm going to go put the car together now...
Clark Propst

I can tell you both. The trucks on all the cars in this series were
AAR cast steel with spring planks. The best HO replica is Accurail's
so-called (but mis-named) "Bettendorf" truck.

Richard Hendrickson

Tim O'Connor

Brian REALLY needs to do this truck! It was incredibly common and the
Accurail just isn't cutting it for me anymore... :-)

Or... doesn't True Line Trains of Canada make this truck?? I can't find
a photo online but I vaguely recall they made an AAR spring plank truck.

brianleppert@att.net

Or... doesn't True Line Trains of Canada make this truck?? I can't find
a photo online but I vaguely recall they made an AAR spring plank truck.

Tim O'Connor
Unless Dennis Storzik tooled the truck for True Line Trains, the Chinese did an incredible job of almost exactly copying his truck.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Richard Hendrickson

On Apr 30, 2011, at 4:09 PM, brianleppert@... wrote:

Or... doesn't True Line Trains of Canada make this truck?? I can't
find
a photo online but I vaguely recall they made an AAR spring plank
truck.

Tim O'Connor
Unless Dennis Storzik tooled the truck for True Line Trains, the
Chinese did an incredible job of almost exactly copying his truck.
Brian, I'll second Tim's statement that we need this truck done to
your standards of quality and detail. The Accurail truck was state
of the art when it first appeared, but nowadays a truck without brake
shoes and rigging really seems lame, especially on a tank car or
hopper where the the truck can be seen from the top and not just
broadside.

Richard Hendrickson

brianleppert@att.net

Brian, I'll second Tim's statement that we need this truck done to
your standards of quality and detail.

Richard Hendrickson
IIRC, the truck in question was under a L&N box car. The only image of that I have is in Ed Hawkins' article in July '91 RMJ. The photo is half-toned and too small to ID the trucks. Richard, can you send me a scan?

Brian Leppert
Tahoe Model Works
Carson City, NV