Topics

Underrepresented roads and car types

Armand Premo

Is there a consensus as to roads that are under represented in the models available? Armand Premo

Bruce Smith

"appremo" <armprem2@surfglobal.net> 05/14/11 12:46 PM >>>
Is there a consensus as to roads that are under represented in the
models available? Armand Premo

Yes - read the archives! (where you will see that the UTL X-3s, GATC
tank cars and a earlier SP flat car are all extremely common cars
missing from the modeling inventory). And then I'll go off the
reservation and state the the PRR K8 stock car, and several READING
Hoppers are also very much needed by me, if not anyone else <G>

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

spsalso

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "appremo" <armprem2@...> wrote:

Is there a consensus as to roads that are under represented in the models available? Armand Premo
A consensus? Surely, you jest, sir.

I'd like to see a nice USRA double-sheathed box.

But that's not exactly an answer to your question. Are you asking if folks think there are "models available" that should be lettered for roads but aren't? If so, I'll propose the Atlas USRA steel rebuilt box--it'd be really nice to have it lettered for what appears to be the only road that actually had one like(ish) the model: Frisco. Now THAT'S under represented.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Armand Premo

Jest no,simply an exercise in futility.Actually the question was rhetorical trying to get a discussion going that might provide fodder for manufacturers.Armand Premo

> Is there a consensus as to roads that are under represented in the models available? Armand Premo

A consensus? Surely, you jest, sir.

I'd like to see a nice USRA double-sheathed box.

But that's not exactly an answer to your question. Are you asking if folks think there are "models available" that should be lettered for roads but aren't? If so, I'll propose the Atlas USRA steel rebuilt box--it'd be really nice to have it lettered for what appears to be the only road that actually had one like(ish) the model: Frisco. Now THAT'S under represented.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

There are lots of neglected prototype railroads -- including some that
may surprise you. For example, the UNION PACIFIC!

UP all-steel box cars in HO scale plastic, from the 1930's to around 1960?
Well, let's see TRIX did two cars. And there was one class of post-1953
PS-1 box cars. I can't think of any others, although there are some cars
often used as stand ins (1937 AAR, Proto 2000, Intermountain 1940 AAR).
Not one UP postwar box car except for that one PS-1, until you get to the
1960's. And that -includes- resin!

UP has been much neglected in resin as well. Sunshine must have done 5 CB&Q
models and 10 Santa Fe models for every UP model they did. :-)

Other under-represented roads? IC. NYC. C&O. N&W. Many smaller Class 1's
like RDG as Bruce said.

Tim O'Connor

The DRGW has almost been completely overlooked..Even the "Cookie Box" is a "Foobie.".Armand Premo----- Original Message -----
There are lots of neglected prototype railroads -- including some that
may surprise you. For example, the UNION PACIFIC!

UP all-steel box cars in HO scale plastic, from the 1930's to around 1960?
Well, let's see TRIX did two cars. And there was one class of post-1953
PS-1 box cars. I can't think of any others, although there are some cars
often used as stand ins (1937 AAR, Proto 2000, Intermountain 1940 AAR).
Not one UP postwar box car except for that one PS-1, until you get to the
1960's. And that -includes- resin!

UP has been much neglected in resin as well. Sunshine must have done 5 CB&Q
models and 10 Santa Fe models for every UP model they did. :-)

Other under-represented roads? IC. NYC. C&O. N&W. Many smaller Class 1's
like RDG as Bruce said.

Tim O'Connor

>Yes - read the archives! (where you will see that the UTL X-3s, GATC
>tank cars and a earlier SP flat car are all extremely common cars
>missing from the modeling inventory). And then I'll go off the
>reservation and state the the PRR K8 stock car, and several READING
>Hoppers are also very much needed by me, if not anyone else <G>
>
>Regards
>Bruce Smith
>Auburn, AL

jerryglow2

Archer ACR rivets now solve that problem for those who are still willing to build rather than buy RTR. Speedwitch has excellent decals for the 10'0" IH cars and I have a set for 10'6" cars. I've completed the former <http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/modeling/UP_10';_ACR.html>
and waiting for an undec kit to do the latter.

Jerry Glow
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/decals.html

There are lots of neglected prototype railroads -- including some that
may surprise you. For example, the UNION PACIFIC!

UP all-steel box cars in HO scale plastic, from the 1930's to around 1960?
Well, let's see TRIX did two cars. And there was one class of post-1953
PS-1 box cars. I can't think of any others, although there are some cars
often used as stand ins (1937 AAR, Proto 2000, Intermountain 1940 AAR).
Not one UP postwar box car except for that one PS-1, until you get to the
1960's. And that -includes- resin!

UP has been much neglected in resin as well. Sunshine must have done 5 CB&Q
models and 10 Santa Fe models for every UP model they did. :-)

Other under-represented roads? IC. NYC. C&O. N&W. Many smaller Class 1's
like RDG as Bruce said.

Tim O'Connor

marsfromrexford

I surprised you can't buy a 19000 series NYC caboose right now.

Benjamin Hom

"marsfromrexford" (who didn't sign his name) wrote:
"I surprised you can't buy a 19000 series NYC caboose right now."

I'm not.  Given the perception of a hostile historical society and that NYC
modelers appear only to be interested in models of Dreyfus Hudsons and O scale
tinplate, not having a signature caboose model is no surprise.

NYC is one of the criminally underrepresented roads - for general service cars
(e.g., boxcars), there should be a 1:1 ratio between NYC and PRR cars; however,
the lack of availability to the average modeler of models of common
NYC boxcars makes this difficult to attain.

Ben Hom

Noel Widdifield <NYCBigFour@...>

As a lurker on this group for some time I would like to say that there are many NYC modelers out here that are interested in a lot more than Dreyfus Hudsons.
As for the NYCSHS - stand by. We have formed a modeling committee and are starting up a series of actions that will greatly improved the Society's interest in modeling.
Watch for announcements soon.
Noel

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

"marsfromrexford" (who didn't sign his name) wrote:
"I surprised you can't buy a 19000 series NYC caboose right now."

I'm not.  Given the perception of a hostile historical society and that NYC
modelers appear only to be interested in models of Dreyfus Hudsons and O scale
tinplate, not having a signature caboose model is no surprise.

NYC is one of the criminally underrepresented roads - for general service cars
(e.g., boxcars), there should be a 1:1 ratio between NYC and PRR cars; however,
the lack of availability to the average modeler of models of common
NYC boxcars makes this difficult to attain.

Ben Hom

Charles Hladik

There are several Rutland vans available, repaint or buy undec. Yep,
they're brass.
Chuck Hladik

In a message dated 5/15/2011 11:21:36 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
marsfromrexford@yahoo.com writes:

I surprised you can't buy a 19000 series NYC caboose right now.

Chuck Hladik
Rutland Railroad
Virginia Division

Benjamin Hom

Noel Widdifield wrote:
"As a lurker on this group for some time I would like to say that there are many

NYC modelers out here that are interested in a lot more than Dreyfus Hudsons.
As for the NYCSHS - stand by. We have formed a modeling committee and are
starting up a series of actions that will greatly improved the Society's
interest in modeling."

Noel, I wish you the best of luck, as this has been a long time coming.  You've
got your work cut out for you, particularly in reestablishing goodwill.  As far
as getting information out to the model railroad community, the NYCSHS is years
behind organizations such as the SFRH&MS and PRRT&HS.

Ben Hom

marsfromrexford

Ben, I agree. An average modeler is exactly what I am. I back dated my era of modeling to NYC / war years because I thought it would be easier to be more prototypical. Seems to be the opposite.

My apologies for not signing my name previously.

Mario Labrecque
Rexford, NY

Noel Widdifield <NYCBigFour@...>

Thanks for the good luck. We are going to do some interesting things and we are working hard with the Society's Directors to make this thing happen. We are planning to move the modeling interest within the Society up to where many other Societies are today.
If you are interested in helping, send me an email.
Noel

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Noel, I wish you the best of luck, as this has been a long time coming.  You've
got your work cut out for you, particularly in reestablishing goodwill.  As far
as getting information out to the model railroad community, the NYCSHS is years
behind organizations such as the SFRH&MS and PRRT&HS.

Ben Hom

Al and Patricia Westerfield <westerfield@...>

Noel - When we attend PRRT&HS annual meetings we sell thousands of dollars worth of kits. The one time we attended an NYCSHS annual we didn't make our expenses. And there was a Lionel set running in the main room. I wish you good luck. - Al Westerfield

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Noel Widdifield wrote:
As for the NYCSHS - stand by. We have formed a modeling committee and are starting up a series of actions that will greatly improved the Society's interest in modeling. Watch for announcements soon.
Excellent news--a change that can't come too soon.

Publishers of books on railroad history

seaboard_1966

I have to agree. As someone who has tried to get information from the NCYHS for a project for WrightTRAK, I have to say that change cant come soon enough. There are projects that we want to do but the NYCHS terms and what not have prevented us from doing so.

Denis Blake

2011 Central Ohio Prototype Modelers Meet, May 19-21

http://www.hansmanns.org/meet/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/manage/#!/pages/Central-Ohio-Prototype-Modelers-Meet/326645470797

pullmanboss <tcmadden@...>

Tim O'Connor wrote:

There are lots of neglected prototype railroads -- including
some that may surprise you.
[snip]

Not one UP postwar box car except for that one PS-1, until you
get to the 1960's. And that -includes- resin!

UP has been much neglected in resin as well. Sunshine must have
done 5 CB&Q models and 10 Santa Fe models for every UP model
they did. :-)
I doubt that Walthers/P2K or InterMountain has to take into account the interests of their [paid] designers and toolmakers when selecting prototypes. Resin producers are very much dependent on the interests of their [generally unpaid, except for the few kits they might receive] patternmakers. I can't see Charlie Slater, for example, agreeing to make the patterns for an Escanaba & Northern 1935 reefer (if such a thing even existed) for Martin Lofton in exchange for a few kits of that car. So we get the Santa Fe models from Charlie's patterns, and the mid-America ones from Frank's. In the resin world, it always comes down to the willingness of interested modelers to make patterns of their favorite road's cars.

Tom Madden

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tom Madden wrote:
I doubt that Walthers/P2K or InterMountain has to take into account the interests of their [paid] designers and toolmakers when selecting prototypes.
I'm sure that's true, but what about the interests of their executives and investors? There's lotsa rumors in that direction.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Terry Link

I surprised you can't buy a 19000 series NYC caboose right now.
Besides lots of brass, wood and plastic kits over the years - doesn't the TRIX model doesn't count - it is plastic and for most - is ready to run ?

Terry Link
Bramalea, Ontario, Canada
www.canadasouthern.com