From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of JP
Barger
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2011 1:39 PM
To: stmfc@...
Subject: [STMFC]

Hi-- Tony Thompson's last message made me think that a 'pareto' list of the
top twenty RR's total freight car ownership in 1950 would be most useful in
thinking about what is under- and what is overrepresented in model form.
Does someone have this data? Thanks in advance.

JP Barger

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Bruce Smith

Elden,

I think JP wanted the top 20 Railroads, not the top 20 per railroad <VBG> , although that data would be even more useful, and it is certainly the approach that you, I and others have taken in persuading manufacturers to do specific PRR cars.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On May 16, 2011, at 12:51 PM, Gatwood, Elden SAW wrote:

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

JP;

You need a message title, so...

For the PRR, closest date I have - July 1949; TOP 20:

H21A, X29, GLA, GS, GLCA, X31A, X26, X25, G22, H21E, H25, G27, X28A, GR,
X26C, G25, X38, X29B, G29

BTW, this changes dramatically for 1955.....

Elden Gatwood

Hi-- Tony Thompson's last message made me think that a 'pareto' list of the
top twenty RR's total freight car ownership in 1950 would be most useful in
thinking about what is under- and what is overrepresented in model form.
Does someone have this data? Thanks in advance.

JP Barger

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Charlie Vlk

Here is a reference to Pareto that JP mentioned......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_distribution

The Pareto distribution, named after the Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto, is a power law probability distribution that coincides with social, scientific, geophysical, actuarial, and many other types of observable phenomena. This idea is sometimes expressed more simply as the Pareto principle or the "80-20 rule" which says that 20% of the population controls 80% of the wealth.[3

To apply it to underrespresented freight car models one would (should?) break down the cars by descrete types to come up with important missing models. I suspect that the "law" might be missapplied here as the 80/20 distribution is based on a common commodity split between multiple owners, not multiple commodities specific to an owner in a pool of different commodities.

Are we talking "mass production" models here or included limited run resin and brass models? Makes a big difference. For example, there are few RTR models of 50FT 1 1/2 Door box cars, which for some areas of the country were very commonly seen. Car distribution (some car types did not normally make it to all parts of the network) is going to make a difference, not just the total number of cars "in the fleet".

I don't think you can make the choice process into a formula, although it is fun to talk about such matters.

Charlie Vlk

Michael Aufderheide

All,

FWIW, the following lists of the most numerous box/auto/vent cars not modeled in resin or plastic: (1950 ORER #s)

ACL O16A, B, C 40ft rebuilt auto car. 2,500 cars, 3rd most numerous house car on ACL.

CO '23 ARA with the unusual side sheathing pattern. 1,924 cars 3rd most numerous house car on CO.

CNW 63000 & 74900 series rebuilt from auto cars, 1,486 cars. 4th most numerous house car on CNW.
 CNW 60000 series USRA clone rebuild. 1,009 cars. 6th most numerous house car on CNW.

ERIE  70000 series etc. '23 ARA 2,639 cars.  2nd most numerous house car on the ERIE (I have a question mark next to this entry.  I don't know the issue with these cars vs. X29; side sheathing pattern?)

MILW 597000 series, etc. ss raised roof auto car.  1,137 cars, 7th most numerous house car on the MILW.

MP 42000 series etc. ss 10'-0" IH. 1,697 cars, 4th most numerous house car on MP.

NW B-5. 2,479 cars. 1st most numerous house car on NW.

NYC 56400 series etc., steel, rebuilt of 1916 ds auto cars, 2,973 cars, 12th most numerous house car on NYC.

NYC 147000 series, steel, 40ft, 10ft doors, 9'-4" IH, 2,486 cars, 13th most numerous house car on NYC.

PRR X38, 50ft steel, 14'-6" doors, 10'-8"IH. 2,299 cars, 14th most numerous house car on PRR.

UP B-50-17 180000 series rebuilt. 2282 cars, 4th most numerous house car on UP. Sunshine Models Private Stock kit with limited availability

WAB 17000 series,etc. 40' ss auto car with 12' door and 10'-3" & 4" IH.  1975 cars, 2nd most numerous house car on WAB.

This list got shorter by 2 cars this year with the introduction of the NCStL 36' rebuilds and the announcement of the SAL V9 vent. Any corrections or suggestions are very welcome.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

PS: I haven't revised this list in light of the recent loss/postponement of Westerfield & Speedwitch kits, but the number of unavailable cars will double in length without them.

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Mike Aufderheide wrote:
FWIW, the following lists of the most numerous box/auto/vent cars not modeled in resin or plastic: (1950 ORER #s)
Terrific list, Mike! A couple of comments:

CNW 60000 series USRA clone rebuild. 1,009 cars. 6th most numerous house car on CNW.
MILW 597000 series, etc. ss raised roof auto car. 1,137 cars, 7th most numerous house car on the MILW.
MP 42000 series etc. ss 10'-0" IH. 1,697 cars, 4th most numerous house car on MP.
NYC 56400 series etc., steel, rebuilt of 1916 ds auto cars, 2,973 cars, 12th most numerous house car on NYC.
NYC 147000 series, steel, 40ft, 10ft doors, 9'-4" IH, 2,486 cars, 13th most numerous house car on NYC.
Um, I'm a little doubtful that car groups this far down the list all need to be done--except of course for modelers of those roads.

PRR X38, 50ft steel, 14'-6" doors, 10'-8"IH. 2,299 cars, 14th most numerous house car on PRR.
DIdn't these cars have two different roofs? If so, it's misleading to lump them all together--and 14th most numerous doesn't shout a "call of action" to me <g>.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Michael Aufderheide

Tony,

I can't speak to the NYC roofs, somone....?  For the purposes of this list I have not distinguished between types of roofs, doors, ends or trucks.

Yes, I admit that 13th and 14th down the list is getting a little absurd.  The list is that long at all because the first 7(!) for PRR are X29s or and first 4 for NYC USRA steel cars.  All this is based on my desire to have 200 auto/box cars as the base number for my model fleet.  Another 100 or so cars will be added not on this list to account for region, industries, interchanging roads etc.  So in terms cars as a percentage of the US fleet I'll have 7 X29s!

Mike Aufderheide
One X29 down, six to go.