Topics

NMRA convention (was Re: Consumer-grade 3D printers hit the mainstream) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

The problem with those technologies is that many people loan us images of the
prototype, for presentations, but for which they retain the rights. The
presentations are for educational purposes, otherwise they would not loan
them (i.e., "not for profit").

When people post images to big sites, they lose the image to the etherworld.

Here's an example: I gave a presentation on PRR's foray into the coil car
arena, for which many people loaned me images. One guy kept setting up a
tripod, and I then had to remind everyone that they could not record it, on
any media. He was obviously miffed, so I explained it.

I then noticed that when the room went dark, he attempted to do it again, and
was asked to leave. I was told later that this guy sells DVDs of
presentations on ebay.

Sounds like a good little small business operation, but he was making money
on images that other people own and could have also done so with.

We cannot risk enraging the people that support us through their generous
loan of their images, or we lose access to those images.

It's one thing when presentations focus entirely on models or contain images
owned by the presenter, but you have to watch it with proprietary imagery.

Elden Gatwood