Rail Yards in Ohio

Bill Welch

Gentlemen

I have a photo, circa 1940, from the National Archives loosely titled
"Typical Team Tracks" which shows a "sea of reefers." Given a large
SOHIO sign in the photo, I am sure the photo is in Ohio. I would like
to try to identify which city in Ohio is pictured if possible.

If you think you can help identify the location, will you please you
contact me offline and I can send you a scan of the photo.

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727.470.9930
fgexbill@...

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

It's a big city. Could it be Cleveland?

Publishers of books on railroad history

Bill Welch

Tony has seen the photo. He could be right but it could be Cincinnati, Columbus, or even Akron or Toledo. I have sent the photo to Gene and await other replies to fgexbill@...

Bill Welch

It's a big city. Could it be Cleveland?

Publishers of books on railroad history

mopac1 <mopac1@...>

Bill,

I'll give it a try.

Gene Semon

I have a photo, circa 1940, from the National Archives loosely titled
"Typical Team Tracks" which shows a "sea of reefers." Given a large
SOHIO sign in the photo, I am sure the photo is in Ohio. I would like
to try to identify which city in Ohio is pictured if possible.

If you think you can help identify the location, will you please you
contact me offline and I can send you a scan of the photo.

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727.470.9930
fgexbill@...

mopac1 <mopac1@...>

I am thinking either Cleveland ( they had 2 refineries) or Toledo. Wasn't
the Sohio refinery in the south actually in Latonia, Ky? Lima could be an
outside chance.

Gene Semon

Tony has seen the photo. He could be right but it could be Cincinnati,
Columbus, or even Akron or Toledo. I have sent the photo to Gene and await
other replies to fgexbill@...

Bill Welch

It's a big city. Could it be Cleveland?

Publishers of books on railroad history

Randy Hammill

Hello -

I certainly couldn't identify the location. But it raises a question that a friend of mine and I have been pondering.

He's modeling the New Haven Railroad Valley Line, from Hartford to Old Saybrook. It was a small branchline that by his era in 1947 was freight service only.

Middletown was a small city (approx 30,000) and was the junction of the Valley and Air Lines, each with a single daily local freight.

In Middletown there is a slaughterhouse, which received stock cars. But there are no meat packing distribution centers or grocers that had sidings on the railroad for delivery of perishables.

Via I-91 and Rt 9 today it's about 20 miles from East Hartford to Middletown. Of course, neither of these highways existed then. My theory is that there wasn't sufficient refrigerated truck service, nor the highways to support it, from Hartford to Middletown.

So I'm guessing that reefers would have been delivered either to the freight house or team tracks (which were in the same area) and trucks would have delivered to the local grocers.

Would this have been typical?

Thanks -

Randy Hammill
http://newbritainstation.com

--- In STMFC@..., Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Gentlemen

I have a photo, circa 1940, from the National Archives loosely titled
"Typical Team Tracks" which shows a "sea of reefers." Given a large
SOHIO sign in the photo, I am sure the photo is in Ohio. I would like
to try to identify which city in Ohio is pictured if possible.

If you think you can help identify the location, will you please you
contact me offline and I can send you a scan of the photo.

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727.470.9930
fgexbill@...

Eric Hansmann

The Nickel Plate served the Northern Ohio Food Terminal close to downtown Cleveland and not far from a Standard Oil refinery. Here's an aerial view:
http://tinyurl.com/3sy43wv

A search of Food Terminal at the Cleveland Memory site brought up only a few images.
http://www.clevelandmemory.com/

I like this postcard:
http://tinyurl.com/3uknfoj

The NKPH&TS may have additional images on this facility.

Eric

Eric Hansmann
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Modeling the railroads of Newburgh, Ohio, circa 1926:
http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/

--- In STMFC@..., Anthony Thompson <thompson@> wrote:

It's a big city. Could it be Cleveland?

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@
Publishers of books on railroad history

Schuyler Larrabee

I'd say Eric has nailed it. The background buildings and the smokestacks
are very much similar to the shot Bill has.

SGL

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , "lnbill"

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , Anthony
Thompson <thompson@> wrote:

It's a big city. Could it be Cleveland?

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@
Publishers of books on railroad history

=======
=======

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

kenneth chapin <kenneth_chapin@...>

Hi;could you sent the photo,i would lioke to see the Sohio sign,i have a good idea were this might be,thanks ken

From: kenneth_chapin@...
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 20:52:45 -0700
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Rail Yards in Ohio

From: Bill Welch <fgexbill@...>

To: STMFC@...

Date: Friday, May 20, 2011, 4:58 PM

Gentlemen

I have a photo, circa 1940, from the National Archives loosely titled

"Typical Team Tracks" which shows a "sea of reefers." Given a large

SOHIO sign in the photo, I am sure the photo is in Ohio. I would like

to try to identify which city in Ohio is pictured if possible.

If you think you can help identify the location, will you please you

contact me offline and I can send you a scan of the photo.

Bill Welch

2225 Nursery Road; #20-104

Clearwater, FL 33764-7622

727.470.9930

fgexbill@...

Frank are you sure? I looked up SOHIO's history online and for many years
it was not permitted to do business outside of Ohio -- but it dominated the
business within the state of Ohio (like 70%-80% of the market)! I think the
restrictions were relaxed later, or they found a way to conduct business
via subsidiary companies. But in Bill's pre-war photos, I think the SOHIO
signs are a very strong indicator of Ohio.

Tim

Bill, If everyone thinks the photo was taken in Ohio, it probably was, but Standard of Ohio
also marketed in Michigan, Indiana, and Kentucky. Their primary territory was, of course, Ohio.
FHP (Frank H. Peacock)

Richard Orr <SUVCWORR@...>

Sohio did business in Pennsylvania as Boron and IIRC in a few other states
surrounding Ohio

Rich Orr

Rich Orr wrote:
Sohio did business in Pennsylvania as Boron and IIRC in a few other states surrounding Ohio
Boron was indeed a subsidiary of Sohio but there were Boron stations in Ohio, too. Not sure how all that worked.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

Yes, but only after WWII.

At 5/23/2011 12:13 PM Monday, you wrote:
Sohio did business in Pennsylvania as Boron and IIRC in a few other states
surrounding Ohio

Rich Orr

Frank are you sure? I looked up SOHIO's history online and for many years
it was not permitted to do business outside of Ohio -- but it dominated the
business within the state of Ohio (like 70%-80% of the market)! I think the
restrictions were relaxed later, or they found a way to conduct business
via subsidiary companies. But in Bill's pre-war photos, I think the SOHIO
signs are a very strong indicator of Ohio.

Tim

Bill, If everyone thinks the photo was taken in Ohio, it probably was,
but Standard of Ohio
also marketed in Michigan, Indiana, and Kentucky. Their primary territory
was, of course, Ohio.
FHP (Frank H. Peacock)

Mike Fleming

Sohio operated outside the state of Ohio as Boron Oil Co. However I blew up that photo and in the haze on the horizon to the upper left there is at least one skyscraper and I'm gonna bet its Cleveland.

Mike Fleming
Superintendent, Bluff City Div. SER, NMRA
President Emeritus, Memphis Society of Model Railroaders
Vice President, Memphis Railroad and Trolley Museum Model Railroad Club, a 100% NMRA Member Club

Frank are you sure? I looked up SOHIO's history online and for many years
it was not permitted to do business outside of Ohio -- but it dominated the
business within the state of Ohio (like 70%-80% of the market)! I think the
restrictions were relaxed later, or they found a way to conduct business
via subsidiary companies. But in Bill's pre-war photos, I think the SOHIO
signs are a very strong indicator of Ohio.

Tim

Bill, If everyone thinks the photo was taken in Ohio, it probably was, but Standard of Ohio
also marketed in Michigan, Indiana, and Kentucky. Their primary territory was, of course, Ohio.
FHP (Frank H. Peacock)

Richard Orr <SUVCWORR@...>

Yes, because the Supreme Court ruling which forced the break-up of Standard
Oil limited Sohio to only retail outlets in Ohio

See http://www.dantiques.com/sohio/timeline.htm

For this history of Sohio

Rich