From: rwitt_2000 <rwitt_2000@yahoo.com>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Reading Box Car
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 10:17 AM

Al Brown wrote:

Wow, what a beauty! Check out the fishbelly underframe, unusual arch
bar trucks, and Youngstown replacement door.
Looking at the photograph and the drawings again, it appears that this
Reading boxcar also has a replacement roof. It looks like a Hutchins.
For a kit-bash one could cut one from the Accurail reefer if the width
of the cars bodies are similar.

Bob Witt

rwitt_2000

Al Brown wrote:

Wow, what a beauty! Check out the fishbelly underframe, unusual arch
bar trucks, and Youngstown replacement door.
Looking at the photograph and the drawings again, it appears that this
Reading boxcar also has a replacement roof. It looks like a Hutchins.
For a kit-bash one could cut one from the Accurail reefer if the width
of the cars bodies are similar.

Bob Witt

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Drew <phillydrewcifer@...> wrote:

The covered hopper conversion was used to haul cocoa beans to the Hershey plant in Hershey, PA. Check out Wiseman Model Services (I think) for something close to the trucks.
Drew
Al Westerfield did patterns for these years ago. They went to Walker model Service, and thence to On-Trak Models when they bought Walker's line, and recently to Wiseman Model Services when Paul Redmond sold the On-Trak line to Wiseman. The Wiseman site was slow earlier today, but I see it's running now:

http://www.locopainter.com/store/product.php?id=424

Dennis

Ed Walters

I couldn't find it via Google, but it's available at: http://www.archive.org/details/cu31924032183216

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Ray Breyer <rtbsvrr69@...> wrote:

al brown wrote:
Wow, what a beauty! Check out the fishbelly
underframe, unusual
arch bar trucks, and Youngstown replacement door.
36' box, RDG class XMp, built 1912-1913.

If you want to scratchbuild one, there's a set of plans in the 1916 CBD. Figures 283 & 284, pages 289 & 290. The CBD is available as a free download on Google Books.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

Ray Breyer

al brown wrote:
Wow, what a beauty! Check out the fishbelly
underframe, unusual
arch bar trucks, and Youngstown replacement door.
36' box, RDG class XMp, built 1912-1913.

If you want to scratchbuild one, there's a set of plans in the 1916 CBD. Figures 283 & 284, pages 289 & 290. The CBD is available as a free download on Google Books.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

Richard Hendrickson

On May 24, 2011, at 7:00 AM, al_brown03 wrote:

Wow, what a beauty! Check out the fishbelly underframe, unusual
arch bar trucks, and Youngstown replacement door.

36' box, RDG class XMp, built 1912-1913.
Those trucks were pressed steel arch bar trucks, made by the Pressed
Steel Car Co. See the 1906 Car Builders' Dictionary, p. 401. I
believe Al Westerfield once supplied HO scale versions of these
trucks, though I don't know where you would find them now.

Richard Hendrickson

George Losse

Al,

The Reading had 2000 XMp class boxcars built in four series AC&F.

11550-12349, 800 cars built 1910
12350-12999, 650 cars built 1912-1913
13000-13199, 200 cars built 1910
13200-13549, 350 cars built 1913

The ORER for Jan 1952 shows 65 in service.

Some of these cars were converted to covered hopper cars class XMph with
internal slope sheets, roof hatches, boarded over door openings and hopper
bottoms. They were used in Bean service between Philadelphia and Hershey,
PA.

George Losse

_____

From: al_brown03 <abrown@fit.edu>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, May 24, 2011, 10:00 AM

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "railfan" <rdglines@...> wrote:

Hi,
Just saw this photo on ebay of a Reading wood box car and was wondering if anyone give any info on it? And are there any models in HO scale that would be close to modeling it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390316223052
Thanks, Warren

al_brown03

[...]

Warren