Topics

Why not model actual train consists? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Armand;

You may be past this point, but given my lack of actual consists, I had to
use photos, limited special reports done on car numbers by location, and
industry data, to develop my fleet. I made sure to include enough cars for
each industry of service, to not have the same cars show up again and again,
unless they were specifically dedicated to that location. Thus, for a
service like coal, I have a lot of hoppers I can create blocks from, and get
a different group every time, as I do for the many tank cars I need at the
coke by-products plants. For Corning Glass, up river, however, they have a
small dedicated fleet of covered hoppers, for their glass sand, and you tend
to see members of that small group repeatedly, as you would in real life.

For my run-throughs, which appear at the back of my layout, and which do not
visit the front or even stop, I have a fleet of kits with molded on detail
(HORRORS), which while I would love to super-detail, I may not live long
enough. Most of these are big strings of loaded hoppers going one way, and
MTYs the other. I change out the motive power and cabins on either end, and
voila, a "new" train.

For my actual set-outs and stuff that gets switched in my face, I have my
super-detailed cars, only about 60 so far, which I enjoy seeing close-up in a
fully detailed scene. The others are just going in and out of staging, so I
don't have much time to focus on them, anyway.

The last group are the "special" cars Tony mentioned, that I rotate out on a
very infrequent basis, because one would only occasionally see them in real
life. They are the depressed center cars with a big transformer or other;
long structural loads, etc. They are kept in a drawer and pulled according
to my "random chance" generator (2 x 10-sided dice and a table of chance
occurrences). This method nicely addresses the randomness of need for a
rebuilt transformer at the power plant, and other chance events.

Elden Gatwood