Styrene cements

Craig Zeni

For many years I have been a fan of the now-unavailable Kibri product that Walthers sold. It was faster than Testors and slower than Tenax. Big bottle, big opening, long shelf life. It was also very effective at melting paint...which was good as it often saved me the step of scraping paint at joints. I've also used the Ambroid product, finding it behaves a lot like the Kibri.

But recently I bought a bottle of Tamiya's product. It's great. Faster than the Kibri but still not as fast as the Tenax...gives me some working time. And the brush in the cap is actually useful. I used it recently on a Tichy car w/ a Sunshine conversion kit. CA on the resin parts but Tamiya on the styrene bits and it did wonderful. Try it.

--
Craig Zeni
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

Tim O'Connor

Craig Zeni wrote

> But recently I bought a bottle of Tamiya's product. It's great.
> ... not as fast as the Tenax...gives me some working time. And the
> brush in the cap is actually useful.

I agree Craig. Ditto. I really like the brush. But I still like Tenax
best. If you get a little too much on an area (thin, not pooled) it is
unlikely to harm the paint. And it has the best capillary action.

When the Tamiya bottle is empty I will refill it with Tenax. :-)

Tim O'Connor

Jared Harper

I am surprised no one has mentioned MEK. That's all I have been using for years to join styrene. It works great!
Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Craig Zeni wrote

> But recently I bought a bottle of Tamiya's product. It's great.
> ... not as fast as the Tenax...gives me some working time. And the
> brush in the cap is actually useful.

I agree Craig. Ditto. I really like the brush. But I still like Tenax
best. If you get a little too much on an area (thin, not pooled) it is
unlikely to harm the paint. And it has the best capillary action.

When the Tamiya bottle is empty I will refill it with Tenax. :-)

Tim O'Connor

O Fenton Wells

Me too, it's cheap and it works very well.
Fenton

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 3:01 PM, almabranch <harperandbrown@...>wrote:

I am surprised no one has mentioned MEK. That's all I have been using for
years to join styrene. It works great!
Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Craig Zeni wrote

But recently I bought a bottle of Tamiya's product. It's great.
... not as fast as the Tenax...gives me some working time. And the
brush in the cap is actually useful.
I agree Craig. Ditto. I really like the brush. But I still like Tenax
best. If you get a little too much on an area (thin, not pooled) it is
unlikely to harm the paint. And it has the best capillary action.

When the Tamiya bottle is empty I will refill it with Tenax. :-)

Fenton Wells
3047 Creek Run
Sanford NC 27332
919-499-5545
srrfan1401@...

mforsyth127

Jared Harper wrote:

I am surprised no one has mentioned MEK. That's all I have been using for years to join styrene. It works great!

Jared,

I too am a straight MEK devotee'. Works da' Bomb!!! Would not consider using anything else.

I had an "in" with a pharma supplier in Upstate NY, that allowed me to obtain reagent grade MEK by the gallon.

I store it in a sealed, screw-top metal can. That gallon has lasted me over a decade, and it's still going strong with no degradation whatsoever. I think I flipped the guy $5 for 128 ounces.

At somewhere around $5 a bottle (retail) an equivalent quantity of Tenax would run you about $640.

I could be spending that money on other modeling supplies!!

Matt Forsyth

Modeling the D&H Penn Division
Erie Jefferson Division
In "O" Scale, Proto 5-0
Summer of 1951

http://mattforsyth.com/

Chuck Soule

Jared Harper wrote:

I am surprised no one has mentioned MEK. That's all I have been using for years to join styrene. It works great!
If the label doesn't say MEK, it might list 2-butanone. Same stuff.

Chuck Soule

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

On 5/30/2011 1:35 PM, Matthew wrote:
I had an "in" with a pharma supplier in Upstate NY, that allowed me to obtain reagent grade MEK by the gallon.
Regular grade is available in most hardware stores as well as Lowes
and Home Depot. I also only use it as styrene glue.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Barkeep <Kjb80401@...>

For 30 years now, I have been using a product recommended by a professional modeler friend of mine. It's available at:
"IPS Weld-On Cements" http://www.ipscorp.com/assembly/acrylic

I recommend their No.3 but No. 4 works just as well.

Keevan kjb80401@...