any guesses?

Tim O'Connor

Ian Cranstone

On 2011-06-05, at 10:05 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

owner, series, builder?
http://klemafamily.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/box-car.jpg
Looks like a 36' Fowler car to me, once common as dirt north of the 49th parallel. This one has been modernized along the way, with AB Brakes and cast sideframe trucks, but otherwise looks much as it was originally built.

Based upon the "R" and "D" letters stencilled on the side, which are both standard CN practice (the "R" denoting "R"estricted to CN Lines, and the "D" for Authorized for "D"ismantlement), and the number scrawled on the frame above the truck (406368?) I believe this to be a former CN car (if the car number is indeed 406368, that would make it the former Canadian Northern 88736, built by National Steel Car in 1/1919, original series 88000-89998 even #'s, later CN 406000-406999).

Any idea as to where this photograph was taken? (I'm assuming that this car still exists).

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...
http://freightcars.nakina.net
http://siberians.nakina.net

Schuyler Larrabee

I think the number, 40638, will help. That appears twice at the left end,
on the frame and on the sheathing in the last bay at the left.

Any clue as to location?

SGL

On 2011-06-05, at 2:02 PM, Steve Lucas wrote:

This car is former CN 406308, a 36' steel-frame "Fowler" boxcar at the York-Durham Heritage Railway in Uxbridge, Ontario, about forty miles north-east of downtown Toronto. It was built by National Steel Car in 1919. Here's the tourist line's website--

http://www.ydhr.ca/

I've taken many photos of this car if anyone is interested in them.
Originally Canadian Northern 88616, built 12/1918.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...
http://freightcars.nakina.net
http://siberians.nakina.net

Tim O'Connor

It's kind of scary that you know that Ian... :-)

Thanks!

Tim O'Connor

Originally Canadian Northern 88616, built 12/1918.
Ian Cranstone

Ian Cranstone

Nah, it's just that I've been given access to some really good CN source material... in this case, a CNR renumbering guide issue in 1920 and a CNR (and predecessor) built date summary updated through about 1930 or so. Combine the two, and some really good things happen!

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

owner, series, builder?
http://klemafamily.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/box-car.jpg

Tim O'Connor
A friend has been working on a box car database for at least 20 years. Briefly described he was interested in the development of steel underframes so his database basically begins in 1910 and runs to 1944 plus any box cars before or after that he found interesting. His information is car by car including renumberings, rebuilding, sale to other railroads whether through brokers such as Hyman-Michaels or directly up to retirement. He has tried to identify running boards, roofs, hand brakes, ends, sides, doors, underframes, trucks, air brake systems and so on. I don't know how close to complete his work is but I do know that when ever I inquired about a box car or box car series his information about the subject of my inquiry was quite complete.

About a year ago his computer went down and, I just learned a few minutes ago, is still down. That suggests to me that he has lost interest in the project but, of course, I don't actually know. He has had some personal issues the past few years that would have certainly demanded a great deal of his time, attention, fortune and energy.

His has been consistently adamant that he does not want to have his name connected with this work nor does he care to field questions from the general public. Al Westerfield knows of whom I write as do possibly others in this group but so far any and all who know of this project have remained mum about his identity.

This long preamble is merely to describe as best as possible the source of the following which he provided upon my recent inquiry about the mystery box car. Perhaps this information will be useful to someone for some purpose. If not, the delete key is typically located on the right side of the keyboard.

"Perhaps...
"This looks like a "Fowler" patent box car to me. About 100,000 at 36' were built primarily for Canadian roads CNR and predecessors and CP but also ERIE, GTW, GTR, NYS&W, NC&StL. '40 versions were also built in more modest numbers for CN&W, D&RGW, CRI&P and others. Nearly all the 36' cars were built with 5' side doors. All the 40' cars had 6' doors. (This is from memory, my database is still down). The first of the links below gives a pretty good historical review though focused on CP. As this article notes, cars of this design are also called "Dominion" box cars.

http://www.albertarailwaymuseum.com/the-development-of-the-outside-braced-single-sheathed-box-car.html

"The car in your photo has obviously been upgraded to AB brakes and AAR trucks (all were built with K brakes and arch bar trucks) but appears to still have a wood roof (most common when built) though a Murphy-type roof could have been removed to reveal the underlying boards. The car appears not to conform to Canadian practice - there is no drop step for the end ladder as shown in the following link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21883298@N08/4592186920/

"So it might be a US road car. My guess from length to height proportions would be that it is a 36' car with '5 door, but it can be devilish though to make the distinction between '36 with 5' door and 40' with 6' door from an angled photo. If the door is 5' and all the panels are about that width then it is a '36' car. If the door is 6' and all the panels are about that width then it is a 40' car. Look at the AC photos for 36' cars with 6' doors and you can see how distinctive they look.

"Do you know where was the photo was taken?

"Cheers, and I hope this is helpful,"

Gene Green