From: pullmanboss
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2011 1:14 PM
Subject: [STMFC] P2K 50' roofs redux

I had an off-list question asking if the roofs on all the Proto 2000 50' cars were poorly rendered. This was discussed here many years ago but it's probably worth reiterating: the roof on the 50' SINGLE door P2K 50' boxcar is correct (and very nicely done), the ones on the two 50' DOUBLE door cars (with or without end door) are not.

Tom Madden

Paul Lyons

Armand,
Tom was making referrence to the roofs on the models, not the prototype. None of the P2K models had Viking roofs. I am not sure about the prototypes, except some of the NKP cars had Viking roofs. I am sure there were others
Paul Lyons

Tom,How many of them had Viking roofs?Armand Premo
I had an off-list question asking if the roofs on all the Proto 2000 50' cars were poorly rendered. This was discussed here many years ago but it's probably worth reiterating: the roof on the 50' SINGLE door P2K 50' boxcar is correct (and very nicely done), the ones on the two 50' DOUBLE door cars (with or without end door) are not.

Tom Madden

Armand Premo

Paul,I may be incorrect,but I thought the Erie had a Viking roof.Armand Premo

Tom was making referrence to the roofs on the models, not the prototype. None of the P2K models had Viking roofs. I am not sure about the prototypes, except some of the NKP cars had Viking roofs. I am sure there were others
Paul Lyons

Tom,How many of them had Viking roofs?Armand Premo
I had an off-list question asking if the roofs on all the Proto 2000 50' cars were poorly rendered. This was discussed here many years ago but it's probably worth reiterating: the roof on the 50' SINGLE door P2K 50' boxcar is correct (and very nicely done), the ones on the two 50' DOUBLE door cars (with or without end door) are not.

Tom Madden

Paul Lyons

Armand,
My email read "I am not sure about the prototypes, except some of the NKP cars had Viking roofs. I am sure there were others" Erie may be one of the others!
Paul Lyons

Paul,I may be incorrect,but I thought the Erie had a Viking roof.Armand Premo
Tom was making referrence to the roofs on the models, not the prototype. None of the P2K models had Viking roofs. I am not sure about the prototypes, except some of the NKP cars had Viking roofs. I am sure there were others
Paul Lyons

Tom,How many of them had Viking roofs?Armand Premo
I had an off-list question asking if the roofs on all the Proto 2000 50' cars were poorly rendered. This was discussed here many years ago but it's probably worth reiterating: the roof on the 50' SINGLE door P2K 50' boxcar is correct (and very nicely done), the ones on the two 50' DOUBLE door cars (with or without end door) are not.

Tom Madden

Richard Hendrickson

On Jun 13, 2011, at 11:32 AM, Paul Lyons wrote:

Armand,
Tom was making referrence to the roofs on the models, not the
prototype. None of the P2K models had Viking roofs. I am not sure
about the prototypes, except some of the NKP cars had Viking roofs.
I am sure there were others
No, actually the only model that should have had a Viking roof and
didn't was the NKP double door auto car, and that was a mistake. I
say that as one of the consultants on that project who should have
caught the mistake but didn't. None of the photos and information we
then had on the NKP cars showed them with Viking roofs. And, yes,
the roofs on the double door cars were a bit lame, though they were
corrected on the single door cars. At that time, Life-Like was
trying to overcome its image as a purveyor of cheap toy train junk
and the P2K models were, on the whole, as good or better than their
competition for the serious scale modeler market (and still hold up
pretty well even in today's market, which is why Walthers keeps re-
issuing them).

Richard Hendrickson

Richard Hendrickson

On Jun 13, 2011, at 12:33 PM, Armand Premo wrote:

Paul,I may be incorrect,but I thought the Erie had a Viking
roof.Armand Premo
Armand, some earlier Erie double door auto cars had Viking roofs but
the series modeled by the P2K cars did not.

Richard Hendrickson

Armand Premo

TWO (2) Resin 50 ' Viking roofs for sale.<G> Armand Premo

On Jun 13, 2011, at 11:32 AM, Paul Lyons wrote:

> Armand,
> Tom was making referrence to the roofs on the models, not the
> prototype. None of the P2K models had Viking roofs. I am not sure
> about the prototypes, except some of the NKP cars had Viking roofs.
> I am sure there were others

No, actually the only model that should have had a Viking roof and
didn't was the NKP double door auto car, and that was a mistake. I
say that as one of the consultants on that project who should have
caught the mistake but didn't. None of the photos and information we
then had on the NKP cars showed them with Viking roofs. And, yes,
the roofs on the double door cars were a bit lame, though they were
corrected on the single door cars. At that time, Life-Like was
trying to overcome its image as a purveyor of cheap toy train junk
and the P2K models were, on the whole, as good or better than their
competition for the serious scale modeler market (and still hold up
pretty well even in today's market, which is why Walthers keeps re-
issuing them).

Richard Hendrickson

ed_mines

Didn't C&NW have 50 ft. P2K like cars with Viking roofs? Maybe C&O too?

Ed Mines