From: Mark M
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 03:14 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Boston Library

Very interesting freight car shot, many PRR but look toward the rear!!!

Mark Morgan
PS Grandpa now

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_public_library/5786323249/sizes/o/in/photostream/

water.kresse@...

John,

WE know that SAL Ventilated Boxes got up to Chicago via the C&O in the summers with watermellons, so why not Boston.  Yard clerks at the Russell Manifest Receiving Yard said they came back really ripe and dirty in August.  I'm guessing they traveled the more direct Clinchfield Connection but they could have gone over to/from Richmond also.

Al

Is that a SAL "vent" box I see off in the distance... just barely left of the telephone pole?

John Degnan
Scaler164@...

  Very interesting freight car shot, many PRR but look toward the rear!!!

  Mark Morgan
  PS Grandpa now

  http://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_public_library/5786323249/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Armand Premo

Not sure about Boston,but they got to Vermont.Armand Premo

WE know that SAL Ventilated Boxes got up to Chicago via the C&O in the summers with watermellons, so why not Boston. Yard clerks at the Russell Manifest Receiving Yard said they came back really ripe and dirty in August. I'm guessing they traveled the more direct Clinchfield Connection but they could have gone over to/from Richmond also.

Al

Is that a SAL "vent" box I see off in the distance... just barely left of the telephone pole?

John Degnan
Scaler164@...

Very interesting freight car shot, many PRR but look toward the rear!!!

Mark Morgan
PS Grandpa now

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_public_library/5786323249/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Glen Mills <mills.glen@...>

Hello,

What about the two cars just right of the telephone pole?

Seriously, I may have missed it, but where is the photograph taken?

Regards,

Glen Mills

4a. Boston Library
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC/message/100925;_ylc=X3oDMTJzNWQwM3RyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzI1NTQ3NTMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTY5NzI1BG1zZ0lkAzEwMDkyNQRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMzA4MTM3MzM2>
Posted
by: "Mark M" bnonut@...
<bnonut@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20Boston%20Library> bnonut
<http://profiles.yahoo.com/bnonut> Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:15 am (PDT)

Very interesting freight car shot, many PRR but look toward the rear!!!

Mark Morgan
PS Grandpa now

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_public_library/5786323249/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Back to top
<https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=ede6685c03&view=lg&msg=130931072060f201#130931072060f201_toc>
Reply to sender <bnonut@...?Subject=Re%3A%20Boston%20Library>| Reply
to group <STMFC@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20Boston%20Library>| Reply via
web post
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJzc2Q0MjhhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzI1NTQ3NTMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTY5NzI1BG1zZ0lkAzEwMDkyNQRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMzA4MTM3MzM2?act=reply&messageNum=100925>
Messages in this topic
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC/message/100925;_ylc=X3oDMTM5aDVsc2wyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzI1NTQ3NTMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTY5NzI1BG1zZ0lkAzEwMDkyNQRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzA4MTM3MzM2BHRwY0lkAzEwMDkyNQ-->(2)

4b. Re: Boston Library
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC/message/100926;_ylc=X3oDMTJzYTAyNWZyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzI1NTQ3NTMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTY5NzI1BG1zZ0lkAzEwMDkyNgRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMzA4MTM3MzM2>
Posted
by: "John Degnan" Scaler164@...
<Scaler164@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20Boston%20Library> scaler164
<http://profiles.yahoo.com/scaler164> Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:28 am (PDT)

Is that a SAL "vent" box I see off in the distance... just barely left of
the telephone pole?

John Degnan
Scaler164@...

Schuyler Larrabee

Glen, this is one of the aggravating things about this process that the BPL
is doing with photos. They don't seem to know where things are, nor when.
I have seen some photos in which there are political electioneering signs
which date a photo within a six month bracket, and they do not go so far as
to "approximate" a date for them Nor do they know where things are. They
say that the photos have all the information on the glassine sleeves they
came in, but I find that somewhat hard to believe. I also know that if I
sit with a bunch of native Boston area guys (and I am not one), they can ID
many of the locations. I can do so with some of them, for instance there
are a number of shots that show a locomotive which has crashed into a stone
station. I am about 99% sure that is the Stoughton MA station. Someone
with a bit of research could probably be 100% sure. But they do not go to
that extra measure of information.

All that said, I >>>>>>THINK<<<<<< that photo is somewhere on the north side
of Boston, within what is now Route 128 (known to non-Bostonians as I-95).

SGL

by: "Mark M" bnonut@... <mailto:bnonut%40yahoo.com>
<bnonut@... <mailto:bnonut%40yahoo.com>
?Subject=+Re%3A%20Boston%20Library> bnonut
<http://profiles.yahoo.com/bnonut> Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:15 am (PDT)

Very interesting freight car shot, many PRR but look toward the rear!!!

Mark Morgan
PS Grandpa now

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_public_library/5786323249/sizes/o/in/pho
tostream/

Back to top
<https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2
<https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=ede6685c03&view=lg&msg=130931072060f2
01#130931072060f201_toc>
&ik=ede6685c03&view=lg&msg=130931072060f201#130931072060f201_toc>
Reply to sender <bnonut@... <mailto:bnonut%40yahoo.com>
?Subject=Re%3A%20Boston%20Library>| Reply
to group <STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>

by: "John Degnan" Scaler164@... <mailto:Scaler164%40comcast.net>
<Scaler164@... <mailto:Scaler164%40comcast.net>
?Subject=+Re%3A%20Boston%20Library> scaler164
<http://profiles.yahoo.com/scaler164> Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:28 am (PDT)

Is that a SAL "vent" box I see off in the distance... just barely left of
the telephone pole?

John Degnan
Scaler164@... <mailto:Scaler164%40comcast.net>

=======
=======

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

al_brown03

The two to the right of the phone pole are also vents, of course, and they look physically similar to the SAL car just *left* of the pole. They lack the herald, or it's covered in soot, and the right-most one's reporting marks appear to be Seaboard again.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., Glen Mills <mills.glen@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for answering my questions re the ventilated cars and the location of
the photograph.

Regards,

Glen Mills
Melbourne Australia

Re: Boston Library
Posted by: "Schuyler Larrabee" schuyler.larrabee@... angus502001
Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:11 pm (PDT)

Glen, this is one of the aggravating things about this process that the BPL
is doing with photos. They don't seem to know where things are, .......

All that said, I >>>>>>THINK<<<<<< that photo is somewhere on the north side
of Boston, within what is now Route 128 (known to non-Bostonians as I-95).
SGL
++++++++++++++++++++++
. Re: Boston Library
Posted by: "al_brown03" abrown@... al_brown03
Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:19 pm (PDT)

The two to the right of the phone pole are also vents, of course, and they
look physically similar to the SAL car just *left* of the pole. They lack
the herald, or it's covered in soot, and the right-most one's reporting
marks appear to be Seaboard again.
Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Al Campbell

Hello Glen: According to some knowledgable people from the B&M Historical Society the location of the photo is Somerville Jct. The train was traveling east toward the freight yards in Boston MA. The train came from Fitchburg Division track and was entering the New Hampshire Division track via the Freight Cutoff. The track diverging to the right was the New Hampshire Division looking north. I think the NH Div track lined up with the hump in East Somerville. Al Campbell