Tank Car Questions (Dow Chemical)

cef39us <cfrench@...>

As long as the tank car people are warmed up, I have been
researching what the Dow Chemical cars might have looked
like in the summer of 1951. I have several photos from
Bob's Photo, and one from Jay Williams, that shows a light color
car with a dark band around the center of the car including
the dome taken in 1949.

I found a video on the internet showing the operation of
the Midland, MI plant in the early 1950's, and in one scene,
a plant switch engine is pulling a string of orange tank cars.
Am I looking at an orange car with a black band around the
center of the tank? There is also the diamond shaped Dow monogram
on the car, darker than the light color, but lighter than the
dark band. I am guessing that it could be blue or red.

The photos from Bob are all black cars with what appears to be
yellow lettering. (I found a few color photos on the internet).
One car with a 10-51 reweigh date has the diamond outline and
DOW in yellow and a black background. Two cars with 10-53 and
1-55 reweight date show the diamond with a yellow background and
the DOW black.

Jerry Glow has a decal set for a Dow car showing a black car
with white panels on each end of the side. I have not found a
photo of this car. I also found a photo of DOWX 38148-C showing
a black car with just the reporting marks and number. Looks
like a builder photo. Photos I have show DOWX, DTDX, and GATX
reporting marks.

Any ideas?

Chet French
Dixon, IL

Jim Barnes

The car that Jerry Glow made decals for is black with aluminum panels, nor white.  There are photos of this same scheme on both 8K and 10K cars in RPC Vol 3.
Jim Barnes

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

jerryglow2

If the lettering is the same except color, just ask (off list) and I can do it that way for you.

Jerry Glow
The Villages FL
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/decals.html

--- In STMFC@..., Jim Barnes <atsfjim2000@...> wrote:

The car that Jerry Glow made decals for is black with aluminum panels, nor white.  There are photos of this same scheme on both 8K and 10K cars in RPC Vol 3.
Jim Barnes

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

cef39us <cfrench@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Jim Barnes <atsfjim2000@...> wrote:

The car that Jerry Glow made decals for is black with aluminum panels, nor white.  There are photos of this same scheme on both 8K and 10K cars in RPC Vol 3.

Thanks Jim, I had missed those photos. They are builders photos
taken in 1936, and I am needing information about the cars in the
summer of 1951. It appears that Dow used alot of different lettering
and paint schemes. I am hoping that some of the Pere Marquette/C&O
people will have some info as the railroad provided service to the
Dow operation in Midland, MI.

Chet French
Dixon, IL