From: peter silcox <railroadpete@...>
Subject: DAS box Car
To: "Bob McCarthy" <thesupplycar@...>, gsc3@...
Date: Friday, July 8, 2011, 2:46 PM

The Eqpt. Register of 1950 said the “DSA” was
the Duluth ,
South Shore & Atlantic RR.   Pete Silcox

Any thoughts on what the car in question is?

Bob

From: George <gsc3@...>

Subject: [STMFC] Re: single sheathed box car

To: STMFC@...

Date: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 1:36 AM

No, but until somebody is sure,
Durham and Southern seems
a possiblity.

George Courtney

--- In STMFC@..., Tim
O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Anyone recognize the provenance of this box car? Do you know
what "DAS" stands for?

Randy Williamson

Bob,

It was Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic DSS&A.

At 06:03 PM 7/9/2011, you wrote:

Howdy,

   DAS is the DULUTH, ATLANTIC and SOUTH SHORE RR.

Bob McCarthy

Modeling the Mighty Central of Georgia in Scale S

--- On Fri, 7/8/11, peter silcox

From: peter silcox
<<mailto:railroadpete%40comcast.net>railroadpete@...>
To: "Bob McCarthy"
<<mailto:thesupplycar%40yahoo.com>thesupplycar@...>,
<mailto:gsc3%40yahoo.com>gsc3@...

Anyone recognize the provenance of this box car? Do you know
what "DAS" stands for?

Dayna & Randy Williamson

tmolsen@...

Pete Silcox is correct is stating that the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic's reporting marks are "DSA". This is confirmed by the Official Railroad Equipment Registers that I have going back 70 years.

Examination of the registers that I have do not list a reporting mark "DAS" for any railroad or private operator.

Thomas M. Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
302) 738-4292
tmolsen@...

jerryglow2

This thread gave me a bit of a concern as I do a couple decal sets for them including a riveted side PS-1. The pictures I worked from and my sets use DSS&A. I wonder if it has changed over the years as my area of interest was transition era.

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@..., <tmolsen@...> wrote:

Pete Silcox is correct is stating that the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic's reporting marks are "DSA". This is confirmed by the Official Railroad Equipment Registers that I have going back 70 years.

Examination of the registers that I have do not list a reporting mark "DAS" for any railroad or private operator.

Thomas M. Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
302) 738-4292
tmolsen@...

Joel Holmes <lehighvalley@...>

Hi All,

Going back 89 years, my 1922 Equipment Register confirms what Tom has
said. It shows that the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic's reporting marks
are: DS&A.

Joel Holmes from way back in the hills of Tennessee

Some see the light at the end of the tunnel as being the end. What they
do not know is that light is a train. However, due to economic
conditions, the light at the end of the tunnel has be shut off because
that train has been canceled.

Pete Silcox is correct is stating that the Duluth, South Shore &
Atlantic's reporting marks are "DSA". This is confirmed by the Official
Railroad Equipment Registers that I have going back 70 years.

Examination of the registers that I have do not list a reporting mark
"DAS" for any railroad or private operator.

Thomas M. Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
302) 738-4292
tmolsen@...

Rich C

As answered about a week ago, DAS= Dwight A. Smith. They are a temp rep mark in transporting museum bound equipment. Jerry, your DSS&A sets are fine, those rep marks are still registered under Soo Line and of course CP Rail. They did change them to DSA when the ACI era came around as a Uniform Alphabetic Code.

Rich Christie

--- In STMFC@..., <tmolsen@...> wrote:

Pete Silcox is correct is stating that the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic's reporting marks are "DSA". This is confirmed by the Official Railroad Equipment Registers that I have going back 70 years.

Examination of the registers that I have do not list a reporting mark "DAS" for any railroad or private operator.

Thomas M. Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
302) 738-4292
tmolsen@...

Bob McCarthy

Jerry,

    Yes it did change, however I do not know the date of change.

Bob

--- In STMFC@..., <tmolsen@...> wrote:

Pete Silcox is correct is stating that the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic's reporting marks are "DSA". This is confirmed by the Official Railroad Equipment Registers that I have going back 70 years.
Examination of the registers that I have do not list a reporting mark "DAS" for any railroad or private operator.
Thomas M. Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
302) 738-4292
tmolsen@...

Larry Kline

This thread also gave me a bit of a concern because I have an O scale Champ decal set I plan to use because a DSS&A box car appears in the Bill Pice WM video. The reporting marks in the Champ set are DSS&A, not DSA.

I looked in my 4-51 ORER. It does say that the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic's reporting marks are "DSA" However, the next line says: "The freight cars of this company are marked DSS&A." The 7-47 and 1-59 ORERs say the same thing.

The 1-43 ORER says "The freight cars of this company are marked DSA or DSS&A."

The 6-29 and 4-38 ORERs give the reporting marks as DSS&A.

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh, PA

--- In STMFC@..., <tmolsen@...> wrote:

Pete Silcox is correct is stating that the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic's reporting marks are "DSA". This is confirmed by the Official Railroad Equipment Registers that I have going back 70 years.

Examination of the registers that I have do not list a reporting mark "DAS" for any railroad or private operator.

Thomas M. Olsen

SUVCWORR@...

Its Duluth South Shore and Atlantic and the reporting marks as DSA see ORER and NRHS web site

Rich Orr

From: George <gsc3@...>

To: STMFC@...

Date: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 1:36 AM

O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Anyone recognize the provenance of this box car? Do you know
what "DAS" stands for?

Steve Haas

<<I looked in my 4-51 ORER. It does say that the Duluth, South Shore &
Atlantic's reporting marks are "DSA" However, the next line says: "The
freight cars of this company are marked DSS&A." The 7-47 and 1-59 ORERs say
the same thing.>>

As do the 10-49 and 4-57 ORERs, along with my memories of going down the
freight yard in Houghton to watch trains in the early - mid 60's.

Use those DSS&A reporting marks on your models without worry.

Steve Haas
Snoqualmie, WA

SUVCWORR@...

Jerry,

This is one of those depends times.

Duluth South Shore & Atlantic reporting marks changed over time. According to the NRHS web site

DS&A July 1923
DSS&A April 1938
DSA Jan 1952 - April 1961 and Oct 1966 Assigned to SOO Line between 1961 and 1966 and post 1966

Rich Orr

--- In STMFC@..., <tmolsen@...> wrote:

Pete Silcox is correct is stating that the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic's
reporting marks are "DSA". This is confirmed by the Official Railroad Equipment
Registers that I have going back 70 years.

Examination of the registers that I have do not list a reporting mark "DAS"
for any railroad or private operator.

Thomas M. Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
302) 738-4292
tmolsen@...

Rich, have you found a single photo of a freight car marked DSA?
Web sites are not that useful if they simply regurgitate what is
found in the ORER -- photos are the best reference.

As Dennis pointed out, the Canadian Pacific is wrapped up in the
history of Soo Line and DSS&A (and Jim Hill of the GN too, if you
dig into the history). Corporate identity is one thing not always
directly reflected on the rolling stock.

Tim O'Connor

Duluth South Shore & Atlantic reporting marks changed over time. According to the NRHS web site

DS&A July 1923
DSS&A April 1938
DSA Jan 1952 - April 1961 and Oct 1966 Assigned to SOO Line between 1961 and 1966 and post 1966

Rich Orr

al_brown03

RP CYC 16, p 26, shows DSA 16036, a USRA DS box, reweighed MARQ 1-39. All other photos I've seen of DSS&A freight cars (15-20) show "DSS&A" reporting marks. The shot of 16036 is the only one I've seen of the 16000 series.

Gaertner's DSS&A book, p 238, shows DSS&A 18002, reweighed MARQ 8-40. It would appear that stencilling practice either changed in that time window, or wasn't (yet?) standardized.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Rich, have you found a single photo of a freight car marked DSA?
Web sites are not that useful if they simply regurgitate what is
found in the ORER -- photos are the best reference.

As Dennis pointed out, the Canadian Pacific is wrapped up in the
history of Soo Line and DSS&A (and Jim Hill of the GN too, if you
dig into the history). Corporate identity is one thing not always
directly reflected on the rolling stock.

Tim O'Connor

Duluth South Shore & Atlantic reporting marks changed over time. According to the NRHS web site

DS&A July 1923
DSS&A April 1938
DSA Jan 1952 - April 1961 and Oct 1966 Assigned to SOO Line between 1961 and 1966 and post 1966

Rich Orr

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@..., "al_brown03" <abrown@...> wrote:

RP CYC 16, p 26, shows DSA 16036, a USRA DS box, reweighed MARQ 1-39. All other photos I've seen of DSS&A freight cars (15-20) show "DSS&A" reporting marks. The shot of 16036 is the only one I've seen of the 16000 series.

Gaertner's DSS&A book, p 238, shows DSS&A 18002, reweighed MARQ 8-40. It would appear that stencilling practice either changed in that time window, or wasn't (yet?) standardized.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.
I don't have a copy of RP Cyc 16 handy, so can't look at the picture, but keep in mind that the 16000 series USRA cars were purchased second hand sometime in the late thirties, and the DSA mark could have been applied by the used equipment dealer for shipment.

Dennis

tmolsen@...

Thanks Larry! When I looked in the registers I was looking in the Railroad/Reporting Marks Index at the beginning of the registers.

There are a number of roads listed at the top of their page lisings with duplicate or older reporting marks even though the newer ones are in the index at the front.

Tom Olsen
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479

SUVCWORR@...

Tim,

I was simply listing the assigned reporting marks. If you note there is no termination date for the DS&A and the DSS&A unlike the DSA which terminated twice. And from photographic evidence the DSS&A was used before it was officially assigned. As always photographs are the best source for a particular car.

Rich Orr

Rich, have you found a single photo of a freight car marked DSA?
Web sites are not that useful if they simply regurgitate what is
found in the ORER -- photos are the best reference.

As Dennis pointed out, the Canadian Pacific is wrapped up in the
history of Soo Line and DSS&A (and Jim Hill of the GN too, if you
dig into the history). Corporate identity is one thing not always
directly reflected on the rolling stock.

Tim O'Connor

Duluth South Shore & Atlantic reporting marks changed over time. According to
the NRHS web site

DS&A July 1923
DSS&A April 1938
DSA Jan 1952 - April 1961 and Oct 1966 Assigned to SOO Line between 1961 and
1966 and post 1966

Rich Orr

Guy Wilber

Rich Wrote:

This is one of those depends times.

Duluth South Shore & Atlantic reporting marks changed over time. According to the NRHS web site

DS&A July 1923
DSS&A April 1938

Rich,

The Transportation Division of both the ARA and AAR were charged with assigning reporting marks. The annual report listed both railroad and private owner reporting marks accepted by said road or private owner. The report for 1927 (March 8) shows a change from DS&A to DSS&A.

Regards,

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada