CONX 19 question

Thomas Birkett

I found this photo of CONX 19 (incorrectly labeled as a Texaco car) in the Denvr Public Library collection:

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p15330coll22&CISOPTR=19898&CISOBOX=1&REC=6

Since it has a wooden underframe, it was an ARA Class I car, if I read the specifications correctly. Has anyone else found this image and is perhaps able to read the stencilling on the right side?

Tom Birkett
Bartlesville, OK

coronadoscalemodels

Yes, I have seen this image before but I hate to inform you that it is narrow gauge, on the C&S three foot gauge out of Denver.

Stan Schwedler
Coronado Scale Models

I found this photo of CONX 19 (incorrectly labeled as a Texaco car) in the Denvr Public Library collection:

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p15330coll22&CISOPTR=19898&CISOBOX=1&REC=6

Since it has a wooden underframe, it was an ARA Class I car, if I read the specifications correctly. Has anyone else found this image and is perhaps able to read the stencilling on the right side?

Tom Birkett
Bartlesville, OK

pullmanboss <tcmadden@...>

Looks like narrow gauge. The C&S typically carried a Conoco tank on its Clear Creek (Georgetown Loop) line, so it wouldn't be surprising to see one on its South Platte (Kenosha Pass) line. I think they were empty and served as "rolling billboard" advertisements for Conoco.

Tom Madden

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "tnbirke@..." <tnbirke@...> wrote:

I found this photo of CONX 19 (incorrectly labeled as a Texaco car) in the Denvr Public Library collection:

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p15330coll22&CISOPTR=19898&CISOBOX=1&REC=6

Since it has a wooden underframe, it was an ARA Class I car, if I read the specifications correctly. Has anyone else found this image and is perhaps able to read the stencilling on the right side?

Tom Birkett
Bartlesville, OK

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "tnbirke@..." <tnbirke@...> wrote:

I found this photo of CONX 19 (incorrectly labeled as a Texaco car) in the Denvr Public Library collection:

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p15330coll22&CISOPTR=19898&CISOBOX=1&REC=6

Since it has a wooden underframe, it was an ARA Class I car, if I read the specifications correctly. Has anyone else found this image and is perhaps able to read the stencilling on the right side?

Tom Birkett
Bartlesville, OK
That appears to be a narrow gauge car. First off, the gauge of the wheels is only
about one half the tank diameter. Secondly, the coupler shank is notched through the end sill, a feature that was common on the Colorado NG, but rare in standard gauge car construction.

Dennis

Richard Townsend

Well, Tom, you're half right. They were empty on the way back to Denver. On the Clear Creek line they served industry in Idaho Springs, and possibly elsewhere. And to keep within the parameters of this list, on the way to Idaho Springs between Denver and Golden they ran over the 3-rail C&S line, where standard gauge steam era freight cars also ran.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Looks like narrow gauge. The C&S typically carried a Conoco tank on its Clear Creek (Georgetown Loop) line, so it wouldn't be surprising to see one on its South Platte (Kenosha Pass) line. I think they were empty and served as "rolling billboard" advertisements for Conoco.

Tom Madden

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "tnbirke@..." <tnbirke@...> wrote:

I found this photo of CONX 19 (incorrectly labeled as a Texaco car) in the Denvr Public Library collection:

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p15330coll22&CISOPTR=19898&CISOBOX=1&REC=6

Since it has a wooden underframe, it was an ARA Class I car, if I read the specifications correctly. Has anyone else found this image and is perhaps able to read the stencilling on the right side?

Tom Birkett
Bartlesville, OK

benjamin

The CONX 19 was narrow gauge. It usually worked out of Denver on the C&S Clear Creek Line and through Morrison on the South Park Line. Stenciling on end reads CONX 19 then TM then KT TRIPLE VALVE then 5.5 COUPLER TYPE C then RIVETED YOKE then unreadable then METAL BRAKE BEAM On the side below the data it reads BUILT PRIOR TO 1905. At some point the C&S was dual gauged to Golden (COORS BEER primarily) but there were no idler flat cars used for mixed trains (Dual gauge) like the DRGW did between Durango and Antonito, Colorado so no mixing with standard gauge freights.

Ben Heinley